forum

3-2-1 countdown looks weird with widescreen resolution [confirmed] [resolved]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
XPJ38
Not sure if this is correct behaviour, there still is the BG image on the borders...

TheVileOne
Those are going to be fun to stretch.
peppy
I wasn't sure what to do with this so didn't touch it just yet. Will be fixed shortly. Somehow :P.
MillhioreF
The power of the clone stamp can extend them to the border! Maybe?
lolcubes
Maybe just numbers with an outline instead of a pure background? :p
Won't need any special treatment for 16:9 in that case haha.
peppy
The problem is more that it breaks all skins, not just the default.
Wojtek
this is why widescreen support is bad idea.
Stefan

Wojtek wrote:

this is why widescreen support is bad idea.
Not for everyone.
MLGnom
We can't stay with 4:3 forever. Actually I'm pretty sure we have way more widescreen players than 4:3...

To be honest I really don't mind if I would need to recreate countdowns/backgrounds in my skins (Yes I can say that, I would need to update 12 skins). It's not a big deal, and would make skins way better.
It's way easier to make 4:3 from 16:10 or 16:9 because you would only need to cut sides. We can warn any new skinners/mappers that they should pick up/make backgrounds that can be cut from sides.
As example, If background is picked up correctly it still looks good at any aspect ratio :
16:9
16:10
4:3

Problem with older skins? A lot of them are already dead and doesn't have working links, lack of new skin parts updates, abandoned and forgotten :/.
Only problem would be with beatmap skins but it's a rare case actually.

For countdowns we can change their anchor positions a little and do in the same way as background, count 3 and 2 would be cut a little. Only thing that skinner need to worry about would be numbers position on his countdown.
AdRon Zh3Ro
This is also happening with all storyboards and alike because of one simple thingy: the bg is now displaying in 16:9 but all the resources are still in 4:3, which obviously makes it look weird.
Wojtek

MLGnom wrote:

We can't stay with 4:3 forever. Actually I'm pretty sure we have way more widescreen players than 4:3...
well i'm not saying better widescreen support is not necessary, but how it was introduced it is not idea. so many skins, beatmap skins, storyboards to break. also some backgrounds will look much worse, because of too much of cropping of original image. 3-2-1 can be stretched with some cropping, but how about spinner background? compared to those issues, black bars on side do not loook that bad.

fixing one thing to break 100 others is usually not good idea. of course i believe eventually most of problems will be fixed somehow, but until then i think old behavior should be available as option. anyway this is probably not good place to discuss it.
peppy

Wojtek wrote:

fixing one thing to break 100 others is usually not good idea. of course i believe eventually most of problems will be fixed somehow, but until then i think old behavior should be available as option. anyway this is probably not good place to discuss it.

You obviously don't know how i work ;). All problems should be fixed already, too.