forum

Mode Maker (The ability for players to add their own modes) [invalid]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
chillv
Since most of your request are about adding new modes, there should be a user friendly mode maker that allows them to create any mode they want. The interface could be drag and drop like game maker. Here are my suggestions if you use this idea.

Note Editor

This will allow the player to tell what each note represents. (For example: If they were making a DDR mode, they could make the clap sound the up arrow and assign the up key as the notes trigger)

Note Movement Editior

This allows them to change the movement of the notes (For example, if they were creating a Samba de Amigo mode, they could allow the arrows to move in straight or diagnal directions)

Trigger Maker

This allows them to create triggers and ways the player can manipulate them and what note(s) can it manipulate (For example: If they were creating a bit trip runner mode they could allow the player to make him jump and it would have to switcn to a jump trigger)

Note & Trigger Behavior

This allows players to change the behavior between notes and triggers (For example, If they were making DDR mode they would simply allow each note to disappear if the player pressed the desired key when the disired note collides with the desired trigger. If it was a bit trip mode they would have to allow negative or positive results if a note collides with a trigger or they would have to allow the note to bounce in the opposite direction. If it was a mode similar to karate man (karateka mania) the creator would have to make the note move up and shrink and only allow it to stop shrinking and move left when the player presses a certain key.

I hope this is enough if you use this idea. It would save you a lot of time looking at request.
TheVileOne
I would have to say this would be kick ass. Unfortunately peppy doesn't have a year or two to work solely on this project so it's not going to happen. Oh well.
MillhioreF
lolwut. It'd be easier to use game maker and create your own game like that, the only downside being that it wouldn't have osu!'s robust timing engine.
tarticulate

MillhioreF wrote:

lolwut. It'd be easier to use game maker and create your own game like that, the only downside being that it wouldn't have osu!'s robust timing engine.
Yeah, I've been trying to make a game like that for 2 years in Game Maker, but the delay between the appearance of notes and the start of the music was incredibly large.
benguin
Several problems with this:
1) The complexity of programming this sounds ridiculous
2) I don't want to learn a new mode every time I download a map
3) There is ranking criteria for standard maps (and I'm sure taiko and ctb specifics already have their own ranking criteria or it's being developed over time with the community). How will we ever set up ranking criterias for an infinite number of modes?
4) Right now, you can play any standard map on any mode because there is some type of conversion process from standard to that mode? How is this going to work with your idea?
5) It seems like in order to use this mode creator, you need some basic level of programming experience, if that's the case, why can't that person just make their own game?
6) Osu is a (set of) rhythm game(s), not some game designing program.
7) How would scoring and mods work? Would it be up to the mode designer themselves, if that's the case we would have very biased scoring systems. And peppy doesn't have the time to invent 100's of new scoring systems everyday for a 100 new modes a day either

I have more reasons, but I think I've made my point, no support from me. The idea itself isn't bad, but osu isn't the place to implement that idea in my opinion.
tarticulate

benguin wrote:

Several problems with this:
1) The complexity of programming this sounds ridiculous
2) I don't want to learn a new mode every time I download a map
3) There is ranking criteria for standard maps (and I'm sure taiko and ctb specifics already have their own ranking criteria or it's being developed over time with the community). How will we ever set up ranking criterias for an infinite number of modes?
4) Right now, you can play any standard map on any mode because there is some type of conversion process from standard to that mode? How is this going to work with your idea?
5) It seems like in order to use this mode creator, you need some basic level of programming experience, if that's the case, why can't that person just make their own game?
6) Osu is a (set of) rhythm game(s), not some game designing program.
7) How would scoring and mods work? Would it be up to the mode designer themselves, if that's the case we would have very biased scoring systems. And peppy doesn't have the time to invent 100's of new scoring systems everyday for a 100 new modes a day either

I have more reasons, but I think I've made my point, no support from me. The idea itself isn't bad, but osu isn't the place to implement that idea in my opinion.
I agree with every one of his points.
No stars for you.
MillhioreF
I'm going to tentatively mark this invalid because the chances of this even being considered is less than 1%, and the chances that benguin's points would be worked around are even lower.
peppy
You can already do all this using storyboarding if you so wish. You could make your own app to create maps in your "mode" by scripting the storyboarding for you, even.
Lybydose
I already have an "app" that automatically creates Jubeat maps in osu! through the storyboard. The biggest limitation in creating custom "game modes" using storyboard scripting is that you can't script conditionals based on what the player does.
Archangel Tirael
Imo it's too difficult to implement.
Drafura

Lybydose wrote:

I already have an "app" that automatically creates Jubeat maps in osu! through the storyboard. The biggest limitation in creating custom "game modes" using storyboard scripting is that you can't script conditionals based on what the player does.
Pretty awesome.

peppy

Lybydose wrote:

You can to an extent; there's already event support for hits and stuff (i'm happy to add more if you want :p).
Drafura

peppy wrote:

add more
Hitting two beats at the same time ?
theowest

peppy wrote:

You can already do all this using storyboarding if you so wish. You could make your own app to create maps in your "mode" by scripting the storyboarding for you, even.
t/47662 great example
Topic Starter
chillv

peppy wrote:

Oh! Well thanks for letting me know that. I did'nt know about that when I made this post. :!: