forum

Toggle for the new Implement: ''Algorithm for slider curve'' [invalid]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +130
show more
peppy
@angelfix: both sliders you show are possible using the new method.

The fact remains that any slider meant to be different than the fixed curvature that uses 3 points is sub-optimal. Make it your mission to teach users how to make ones that are >3 points and don't look bad.
D33d

peppy wrote:

@angelfix: both sliders you show are possible using the new method.

The fact remains that any slider meant to be different than the fixed curvature that uses 3 points is sub-optimal. Make it your mission to teach users how to make ones that are >3 points and don't look bad.
I will bear this burden myself with much aplomb. There is no reason to make ugly 1/2 sliders. Symmetrical or not, the flow will be identical and the sliders can be pointed I n the appropriate direction for the creation of good flow.
wonders
i know use new way can make the original slide, just need a bit more works. but there are centenly somthing wrong with this change. i have no interests to explain it. i can make sure that 90 per cent experienced mappers all know this is wrong. why you do not spend 3 min to ask all bat and mat's opinion just insist your opinion?that's is really disappointed.
Topic Starter
DaxMasterix
We are in a OnlineGame. Not in a ''Country'' with democracy... If peppy says No. Is because he is the most Inteligent Powerful men in this country game. And has a following of valid arguments for this ''No.'' Although 99% of the mappers were in against... Don't change anything.. Srry for bad English.

[you make osu! sad :c]
D33d

angelfix wrote:

i know use new way can make the original slide, just need a bit more works. but there are centenly somthing wrong with this change. i have no interests to explain it. i can make sure that 90 per cent experienced mappers all know this is wrong. why you do not spend 3 min to ask all bat and mat's opinion just insist your opinion?that's is really disappointed.
It is unequivocally better. That is all.
Topic Starter
DaxMasterix

D33d wrote:

It is unequivocally better. That is all.
we can't says if it is better or not.. There will always be opinions on both sides. only can says is changed. because really is not the same..
mm201
Making quadratic beziers requires a bit more work. (Meh, on my own, I wouldn't have taken them out, not that it's a big deal.)
Making circles requires much less work than it did before, which is the whole point of the new method.

@angelfix: Apparently you think quadratic beziers are enough better than circles to merit having this slight boost in efficiency. peppy obviously thinks otherwise.

If all you need is a workhorse slider to get you from A to B, and you were using quadratic beziers before because they were easy and their shape wasn't important, give the new method a try.
wonders
i am not just stubborn thinking about something, we need explain all things clear. if we should test the new method, please tell us, not just say no and give a blurred reasons. it is hard to understand why not add the toggle if you just say we can do the same works by hand-working.
we should accept a specific reason. i know sometime it is hard to explain, but if it is not clear, we will become confused.
sorry for argue with this topic, hope you are not angry with me. i will not insist it.
D33d
I do think that there should have been a proper announcement to explain the changes. It's not surprising that people became so confused--having said that, I'm still astounded that people have been so incapable of figuring out the new method, although I suppose that some would've thought that it was a bug.
Mercurial

Natteke wrote:

Well shit, I guess this is how I stop mapping
Please, don't.

I hate the new slider system.
Sakura
I don't get it, you hate something that makes your sliders prettier?
Mercurial
No, I hate the sudden changes without an advice or a way to turn it back, I'm not a symmetric mapper, I just like the old system as a way to map awesome things (Like Natteke maps).

And let me tell you, add a red point in your slider is not confortable at all (Unless you want or you have to)
Sakura
Being a symmetric mapper or not has nothing to do with circular sliders, they do make the job easier for symmetry mappers, but having perfect circles makes them prettier not uglier, and you still dont need to use symmetry, if you want assimetrical sliders use an extra point or a red point end, no big deal, but why would you want that anyways. Most sliders that make unusual or weird shapes use more than 3 slider points to begin with.
LKs
I wonder "how could people hate this thing if this thing does make sliders prittier"?

this is kind of a logic paradox

what makes me feel not very satisfied is that the original bezier curve was removed from the editor(although it still can be done by some other relatively hidden measures)

and I do hope the original slider mode won't be determined unrankable utill the end of time

edit: awesome
peppy
In the next patch, sliders will also revert to using bezier algorithm when they would make circles "too big" (triggering the graphical bug). For those of you that like to make ugly sliders, thsi will probably result in being able to make ugly sliders again with less effort.

For the best or worst.
Mercurial
Yey.
Natteke

Sakura wrote:

I don't get it, you hate something that makes your sliders prettier?
I'm not sure if you guys are trolling or just being retarded. Why are you implying that everyone thinks the same way you do and that the statement "these sliders are pretty" is a fact?
mm201
From a programming standpoint, I don't like this logic of changing algorithms under complex situations, like the circle being too big. I'd be much more content if, say, on saving and reloading the map, these sliders are turned into the B| formula.

Natteke: You can still make the old sliders by doing this. (There's a bug which causes the slider to become lopsided if that last point isn't present.) peppy's reasoning is that the new method is useful enough to merit the convenience of being used when you make a 3 point slider. Nothing is lost.
Mercurial

Natteke wrote:

I'm not sure if you guys are trolling or just being retarded. Why are you implying that everyone thinks the same way you do?
Welcome to osu!
vipto

peppy wrote:

haha5957 wrote:

just one moar example

-> This pattern becomes :

-> this pattern.
the problem here is that you are not changing the way you think. you can still make the exact same shapes as you had before, but you will need to move the middle point to sit on the sliders' curves, rather than "outside" them.
just realized that he used my map

For the threads discussion: i dont mind it thaaaat much. like peppy said you can make any slider that you want, just like before, you just need to know how
Marcin
Well, haters.
I don't know what is the f*cking problem, some people like making things on their own, some people will want to make things easier by using new algorithm. For me, sometimes this algorithm helps very much, but sometimes i like doing things on my own. WHY the hell do you mind HOW people do things? If they look the SAME, then why are you making such a big problem with it? Just add freaking toggle, but making the default for new one, and hide option a little bit, so new mappers will use new algorithm, and old mappers will still do things like they did before.
Just quick example:
Why don't we force people to play on 1,5x osu sensitivity ( and for ex. 3000 dpi mouse only <no tablets here>)? They'll just need to learn how to use it, and it will be the same to play maps, it'll just take longer to learn it.

The same goes for fun spoiler, why did you add it? You can play with and without BG, but one of them is easier (I don't personally prefer dimming BG's so no hate here < I DON'T suggest that dimming BG is making playing easier>).
You are just being hypocritical ...

mmedit (to avoid bumping): looks like someone didn't read up 2 posts. You can already toggle the old method by adding a red point.