forum

Skill plateau

posted
Total Posts
show more
Mythras
honestly ive found that ignoring hit circles gets me 99%~ but paying close attention to the beat AND the hit circles very closely gets me an SS. I don't think you should ignore the hit circles until you're white wolf and play this game with hidden on by default.
G0r
I agree that paying attention to the hit circles can help when you have them, but I feel that when I play they give me very little help. The majority of my timing is internal. Usually if a hit circle clearly helps me, it is one of the first few beats on the map where the rhythm hasn't been established yet, or sometimes after a long break.
Ohrami

Sup A Noob wrote:

Once you start passing Jehovah's Yahveh (Lunatic) and then Emotional Skyscraper (Extra, approved), then you can safely say that you're about near the limit for a regular osu! player.
This is silly. Anyone who actually plays the game a decent amount at all will become far, far better than that. Definitely.
Pacemaker

Tom69 wrote:

All this graph will do is psychologically imprison you, the "plateau" is nothing more than a dumb illusion.

Kyou-kun wrote:

Sup A Noob wrote:

Once you start passing Jehovah's Yahveh (Lunatic) and then Emotional Skyscraper (Extra, approved), then you can safely say that you're about near the limit for a regular osu! player.
This is silly. Anyone who actually plays the game a decent amount at all will become far, far better than that. Definitely.
^This. There are no "normal" and "above average" osu! players, there are simply those who are new to the game or who don't play actively, and those who decided to invest a lot of their time into it and who became "pro". Unless you have some kind of disease, there really is nothing that stops one from becoming as good as Cookiezi or w.e (undergoing the exact same playing experience and having the same kind of thinking pattern is a whole different story though)
Xaffy
I think I have a disease. 63k plays, I have just recently been able to pass world's end.
Kanye West

Xafnia wrote:

I think I have a disease. 63k plays, I have just recently been able to pass world's end.
World's End just needs stamina which is hard to build imo

I'm sure you can stream 180 bpm and jump decently well at 63k plays
silmarilen
idk, i can fc worlds end.
and my stamina is the worst ever
Aqo
That map isn't hard to FC it has like almost no jumps the hard part is getting decent acc on it D:
buny

Aqo wrote:

That map isn't hard to FC it has like almost no jumps the hard part is getting decent acc on it D:
Thanks for sharing your opinion.
Naikaze

Kanye West wrote:

Xafnia wrote:

World's End just needs stamina which is hard to build imo

I'm sure you can stream 180 bpm and jump decently well at 63k plays
It needs focus. I can't FC it even though I have a really good stamina
silmarilen
a real stamina map is o'er the flood
and you can clearly see i have no stamina there because i 100% untill like 400-500 combo and then it starts dropping to 90%ish
lolcubes
Solar sect is a real stamina map. Insane accuracy required as well.
Frizz
World's End it's not a real stamina map imho I hardly ever suffer extreme fatigue from playing it. I do suffer the fatigue however it isn't that bad. If it's anything then it would be:
  1. The Ghost Of 3.13 - Forgotten (huge amount of streams combined with extremely high BPM)
  2. Demetori - Wind God Girl (same as above, but with lower BPM)
  3. Demetori - Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom ~ Nuclear Fusion (the jump streams are total nightmare)
  4. DystopiaGround - AugoEidEs (high BPM and also, last spinners)
  5. Demetori - Desire Drive ~ Desire Dream (same as above)
  6. goreshit - o'er the flood (large amount of streams causes fatigue over time)
Also staying calm for the whole entire map plays a really big role. I almost FC'd some of the maps I listed above but I'm always panicking in the near end and thus causing misses or even fail.
xann_old

Frizz wrote:

1. The Ghost Of 3.13 - Forgotten (huge amount of streams combined with extremely high BPM)
That map is among one of the greatest stamina eaters if you don't spam your way by just streaming it nonstop.
JappyBabes
^iirc the longest stream is the starting 15note one so not really
xann_old
It had lotsa triples and 5 notes with like 1 note breaks in between them. If you actually stop for that moment and then do those short things again it consumes way more energy than just spamming your way through.
I was implying that the player was going for 100% accuracy.
buny

xann wrote:

It had lotsa triples and 5 notes with like 1 note breaks in between them. If you actually stop for that moment and then do those short things again it consumes way more energy than just spamming your way through.
I was implying that the player was going for 100% accuracy.
Better to not have a habit of just spamming those triples -> one -> triple
xann_old
Indeed, and if you actually try to control them it takes way more stamina to do than just spamming them.
cirno-_old
I thought I was reaching a point that I'd stop getting much better. I looked over threads like these, and almost changed my settings to my tablet and resolution to see if that would help, but decided to focus on what I am struggling on. I broke it down into these:

Streams
Jumps
High AR
Acc sensitive maps (just use nofail the first try or two)

Note that I started to pass World's End just a month ago with ~500 combo and my stamina would give up half way through and I'd have to force myself to pass by double tapping. Horrible, I know. This was due to being bad at streaming. I would pass the map 1/4 tries.

I downloaded this:
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/43701
I was able to pass 140-170 BPM but each with 50-65% acc and a D rating... I would have to take breaks a lot. But in just 1 week something hit me and now I can play streams endlessly without breaks, but I'm having trouble with 2 things which I think will be worked out over time: accuracy and higher BPM.

Then I tried this:
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/25403
And noticed another major problem is mixing fast streams with tricky jumps. This too will be worked out over time. I only have 11k plays I think.

Also, now I can pass World's End every try. I might not beat my best score right away, but at least I never fail at it anymore. I think cookiezi once said that drilling very hard streams helped him improve quickly too.

To practice High AR, I'll find insane maps I can S-rank with 95%+ accuracy and go into the editor and make the AR a step higher and keep doing that till it's a challenge. I'll do this to several maps I enjoy playing and see if it helps.

Right now I'm not focussed on getting a better pp ranking, but just putting in quality practice time. When I get real good and I start getting into the top 400 on well established maps, and I am capable of passing val0108/bluedragon maps, then I'll start hitting the ranks.
Satonaka
buny

Satonaka wrote:

http://osu.ppy.sh/s/48979 Stamina map.
not really
Bites
i'd been playing stepmania for about a year prior to starting osu! and i feel like i've improved in a tremendously short amount of time at this game. i'm not sure if it's normal for a 4 month player with less than 5k plays to be passing songs like mythologia's end and boot - i even have an FC on nature of dying and a 900 combo on o'er the flood, but i'm not certain if that's anything special since i don't really look into trends like that at all

some days i'll be playing exceptionally well, such as the day i passed bspower explosion, chipscape, and ascension to heaven all in a sequence like that - and other days i'll play for fifteen minutes and quit because i just know it won't be a good day.
buny

Bites wrote:

i'd been playing stepmania for about a year prior to starting osu! and i feel like i've improved in a tremendously short amount of time at this game. i'm not sure if it's normal for a 4 month player with less than 5k plays to be passing songs like mythologia's end and boot - i even have an FC on nature of dying and a 900 combo on o'er the flood, but i'm not certain if that's anything special since i don't really look into trends like that at all

some days i'll be playing exceptionally well, such as the day i passed bspower explosion, chipscape, and ascension to heaven all in a sequence like that - and other days i'll play for fifteen minutes and quit because i just know it won't be a good day.
Those are just stream maps though, apart from boot which is still pretty easy because of its low drain.
JappyBabes
skill limits are for scrubs