forum

[Storyboard] Transparency

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
those
There must not be any unnecessary transparency around storyboarded images, so crop and resize them as much as possible. If there are particular reasons for apparently useless transparency, then please explain them. For transparent sprites, there should be at least one pixel of transparent border around them so that interpolation (e.g. a black-bordered image on a black background) works properly (although a shadow or glow around the image will fix this problem as well).
The main reason why I created this thread was because of a particular map in pending. The map's storyboard contains more than one image that has a lot of unnecessary transparency, such that transparency between each alpha scale non-zero part of the image should be cut out individually and coded as a separate sprite to achieve a similar effect with less storyboard load.
Can we remove this rule so as to allow the mapper to be "lazy" and rank the map without breaking this rule?

Map in question: http://osu.ppy.sh/s/53928
peppy
How high does the load go?
Topic Starter
those
On that note, is it <5 and it doesn't matter, or should it be as low as possible?
I guess the main point of my question is that why is it even a rule if it is broken all the time.
peppy
As long as it doesn't go above 5, it's fine (unless it is an easy and obvious fix, like trimming files).
Topic Starter
those
So are you agreeing this rule needs a touch up, mentioning that storyboards not passing 5 load don't need to follow these rules at all?
peppy
The rule sounds fine.
ziin
so long as you stay under 5.0, it's fine. Even then, a 5.0 load is misleading as 500-800 sprites show up as SB load 0.5 (and drop my fps down to 12).

That being said, that's a stupidly enormous beatmap, and he uploaded the background twice, which IMO should be unrankable.
peppy
If there's an obvious performance issue, it's not rankable. Isn't that simple enough?
ziin

those wrote:

So are you agreeing this rule needs a touch up, mentioning that storyboards not passing 5 load don't need to follow these rules at all?
Transparency is going to cause an increase in SB load, which increases the likelihood of going over 5.0. It's good practice, but so long as you're under 5.0 we don't need to pop bubbles over it. SB loads over 5.0 are where you need to attempt to optimize it. If the high SB load does not seriously affect gameplay, it's stiill fine over 5.0.
TheVileOne
If we're talking about mapping practices, then this sounds like a guideline to me.
ztrot
well imo you have to take the low end users in to account but the 5 SB load rule has always seemed to work for me if it got any higher i would just better opt the code or trim uneeded stuff.
HakuNoKaemi

those wrote:

On that note, is it <5 and it doesn't matter, or should it be as low as possible?
I guess the main point of my question is that why is it even a rule if it is broken all the time.
There are times it is >5 (like 8.24x)
ziin

HakuNoKaemi wrote:

There are times it is >5 (like 8.24x)
Delete the osb. You shouldn't be using that as a measure anyway, as it counts everything including that which is out side the play area. Set your resolution to 16:9 and it will be even higher.

strangeprogram uses 1 image. I don't know if it still causes people to crash, but it definitely did in the past.

Higher SB load can be easier to draw than low SB load too. I could have easily made this sb with just 1 small image, but when I did, my fps shot down to 15, and the load was at ~1.5. With 5 raindrops in 1 larger image, the load is at 3.0 constantly and I hardly notice the drop in fps.