forum

New mod/feature: Checkpoint?

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +29
Topic Starter
lolcubes
Okay, so I have no idea if this was suggested before, did a small search and came out with nothing.

Basically this is an idea for an unranked mod which would detect breaks in a beatmap. The detection could be something like, the break has to be atleast 2000ms long or something and be at least 15k~20k ms away from the final note in the map , whatever, not the main point. This can be discussed further if the idea is somewhat accepted. :)

There are tons of beatmaps which are so fun, however only certain parts. Usually people try to make compilations of such beatmaps, so only the fun parts are played, however this could be more accessible because not everyone has the knowledge of beatmapping. Also this could actually improve such maps as well, as the player(s) can choose what song to start from, since every compilation has a small break between each part (stream compilation for example).
Since a break is a nice marker for a checkpoint, while using the mod when you select a beatmap to play, it would offer you a list from which checkpoint should you start (preferably having a timeline next to it, just for a quick reference).
Also there are many quite long beatmaps and not everyone likes them. There are people don't give a damn about score or anything they just want to play their favorite maps, or should I say parts of the maps. This mod could easily be selected in that case and bring the said player(s) to a checkpoint to start from.
This would also make marathon maps much more enjoyable for some people. Not everyone wants to spend half an hour on a map to play 1 or 2 songs they like.
I could probably come up with more reasons to have it, but I will leave it for people's imagination for now.

It would also be nice to see the breaks (checkpoints) on the map progress bar/chart (that clock thingy at the top right below the score by default) as well, if for anything then for the information to see when approx the break will come, kinda to ease the player's mind if he's hoping for a break on a long unplayed song.

I think it's a nice idea. :P
Andrea
Really cool idea!

Supporting this :)
Kite
good to practice maps with other mods
ann_old
Lovely.
Support.
Zare
I like the idea, it woud also be great to practice those damn squares in masterpiece.

However, I don't think it will be added, because peppy dislikes practicing with unranked mods, as he already said :/
Topic Starter
lolcubes
True, can still increase playcount normally though.
There could be special restricting conditions for this as well so it's not used only for training purposes, so that for example if there is a break before, lets say, 30 seconds mark, that it doesn't count etc. Will need some work on the logic but this was just an idea, maybe if people add their own ides to this one then it could be improved as well.
Currently you can train maps without using any mods, you just don't finish the map, if this would increase playcount then it's basically the same thing just brings some new fun elements to the gameplay.

Also, just thought of some addition for already existing multiplayer, and that is to introduce the checkpoints (as breaks) normally, but you don't do anything about them until you use the checkpoint mod thingy or something.
They would serve as multiplayer information since at the end of a multiplayer match you only see final score and the graph, however with checkpoints you can see who was better at which part etc, I think it would be more interesting.
Wishy
The fact that peppy does not add this because he doesn't like it is nothing but stupid (no offense) since you can already do this by cutting what you want to practice in the editor and then play it as a difference difficulty. Just make it a little easier for us to use this feature (already exists, just troublesome to use).
Stefan
My first thought about this: No.
You should play the whole Diff in a row, not with any "little" things like Checkpoints.

Also, because peppy don't like this kind of mods.
theowest

Stefan wrote:

My first thought about this: No.
You should play the whole Diff in a row, not with any "little" things like Checkpoints.

Also, because peppy don't like this kind of mods.
yeah, that's how I feel about it too.
Sakura

Wishy22 wrote:

The fact that peppy does not add this because he doesn't like it is nothing but stupid (no offense) since you can already do this by cutting what you want to practice in the editor and then play it as a difference difficulty. Just make it a little easier for us to use this feature (already exists, just troublesome to use).
Wouldn't that be impossible to achieve with osz2?
Mercurial

Sakura wrote:

Wishy22 wrote:

Wouldn't that be impossible to achieve with osz2?
I don't think so.

Yeah, it's possible to do it.
mm201
How is this different from test play?
Topic Starter
lolcubes

mm201 wrote:

How is this different from test play?
Multiplayer.
Kurokami
At first when I saw this, I think "No", but after I read your explanation ...

I'm agains any training like mods, but since, as you said, it count towards the play count I think:

Andrea wrote:

Really cool idea!

Supporting this :)
peppy
This sounds like a really bad solution to a non-existent problem. If only parts of maps are fun to play, then the "compilation" road may be a good one to take. This opinion has nothing to do with the misinformation that "peppy doesn't like practice modes" since this isn't being targeted at that audience anyway.
Enna Alouette
wow yes i support this ><// without stars tho QAQ