forum

Max Beatmap Size [invalid]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +8
Topic Starter
HakuNoKaemi
We should make it higher so we can have decent quality without abherrative compressions of beatmap elements( in the case you have audio and video )
If a good quality audio and video of a tv size are about 16-18 Mb, a decent video and a good audio largely pass 24 Mb...
I'm suggesting to lift it to 32, as a decent fullsize video is about 16-24 Mb and a good audio is about 5-8 Mb. About 1-2 Mb is needed for images and so.
Archangel Tirael
I use the unlimited internet
and I want to play high-quality
maps... And I love the "heavy"
compilations.
peppy
Please provide an example of how you could possible hit the 24mb limit with a "tv size" map. It sounds like you aren't correctly encoding video if you are going over this limit.
[BlinK]
I have to side with peppy on this one.

It is quite hard to go over 24mbs with a TV size map. If encoded correctly, the map should be less.
Archangel Tirael
I love over 15 minutes maps. It's more interest, and I think that need add limitations for map size based on proportion of maps length and weight. I think that just because no one in the grievance will not.
Sakura

Archangel Tirael wrote:

I love over 15 minutes maps. It's more interest, and I think that need add limitations for map size based on proportion of maps length and weight. I think that just because no one in the grievance will not.
15 mninutes is Marathon, Marathon maps get like 60 or 80+ mbs file size limit.
lolcubes
Afaik marathon maps allow 100MB of space.
Also if your video ends up over 10MB on a TVSize and over ~13MB on a Short Ver (~2min) map, you are doing it wrong. It's well possible to have really good quality already within those sizes (even half of that if the video doesn't have a lot of motion).
As for longer maps, it's still possible to encode them to under ~16MB while keeping decent looks, and those maps are really rare.

Also keep in mind that these are all backgrounds, they don't have to be in fullHD resolution as this is not exactly a video player, but a game. :P
Topic Starter
HakuNoKaemi

HakuNoKaemi wrote:

We should make it higher so we can have decent quality without abherrative compressions of beatmap elements( in the case you have audio and video )
If a good quality audio and video of a tv size are about 16-18 Mb, a decent video and a good audio of a fullsize largely pass 24 Mb...
I'm suggesting to lift it to 32, as a decent fullsize video is about 16-24 Mb and a good audio is about 5-8 Mb. About 1-2 Mb is needed for images and so.
Added the word, I'm talking about fullsizes. (I did write it in the second part anyway)

lolcubes wrote:

Afaik marathon maps allow 100MB of space.
Also if your video ends up over 10MB on a TVSize and over ~13MB on a Short Ver (~2min) map, you are doing it wrong. It's well possible to have really good quality already within those sizes (even half of that if the video doesn't have a lot of motion).
As for longer maps, it's still possible to encode them to under ~16MB while keeping decent looks, and those maps are really rare.

Also keep in mind that these are all backgrounds, they don't have to be in fullHD resolution as this is not exactly a video player, but a game. :P

Lot of artifacts in a video are much more fastidious than ever, actually
Stefan
I think, you shouldn't just look at TV Size Videos, but it goes to all Videos, e.g to Music Videos of Pop-Songs, etc.
Topic Starter
HakuNoKaemi
As Stefan said, I was talking about Full Sizes

More reason?
It's not hard to implement. It can map map (especially longer map) better, by having a better video and less compression on it in general. I0m not asking a gigantic increment of the Max Beatmap Size, I'm asking it to be like 32-34 Mb.
peppy
I am happy with the current limitations. Please provide a specific case if you feel the need to go over this. People can likely help you with encoding/compression to solve the issue.
Topic Starter
HakuNoKaemi
I can't quite much go under a certain compression on Full Size videos, as it hinder the quality too much.
People can likely help you with encoding/compression to solve the issue.
I actually use x264 as codec and I make TV Sizes video about 10-12 Mb. So yeah, it's difficult to find a better compression.
Do you know why something dumb as Supersampling exist in video game? cause they badly compress their images, or they compress them too much, hindering the quality to have smaller dimensions. After that, they apply the supersampling, which with a big cost provide a not-so-great quality upgrade.