More questions for you fast DT players

posted
Total Posts
show more
Defacer
­
Topic Starter
G0r
Hey, guys. Just wanted to let you know that I read all of your posts, and I only held back from posting again, because I wanted to give myself time to try some new things, particularly a few suggestions from Aevv/Nrii, and most of the maps that you guys have provided. Thanks again for all of it. I can honestly say that I am once again feeling like I am improving. These maps are excellent for practice, and I particularly am seeing good results when I treat single sets like sets of doubles, like Aevv was talking about. I am still experimenting with times when I can use the x key to help me out on hard combos, and through practice I have actually seen my mouse clicking speed increase noticeably from where it was, and I feel like my control is better too. I have also continued to work on my rhythm on slow maps for a short time when I am warming up, and this has helped as well. Big thanks to Kriers for reminding me to work on rhythm this way. Sometimes I just don't want to slow down! XD

Above all, though, I think that feeling like I'm not the only one who's experienced these difficulties is really what has given me confidence to keep experimenting to keep improving. I'm going to keep at it, and I'll see how much better I can get before hitting a snag again. This community is awesome! Feel free to keep discussing, of course. I'll come back and post more when I've noticed any more changes.
threenash

excellionn wrote:

nrii wrote:

kevin?
yea :roll:
odd how you know my name :oops:
what
Wishy
Best way to be good at fast DTs:

Get good gear. A nice mechanical keyboard to begin with, a tablet may be good for you too.

Play DTs you can barely pass, don't play those super easy DTs where you get #98375 for DT HD SSH. those are worthless.

Try to find some standard that will mark whats challenging to you, I remember some friends and me used Cookiezi as an standard, like if he could DT FC we should be able to clear. I'd suggest you to use BPM as a standard, unless your fingers are already insanely fast.

Occasionally try to get some DT FCs on somewhat challenging maps where you always get 3/4 misses (unless it's that kind of map where there is DAT PATTERN you can't do at all on DT). Sounds dumb but that actually requires you to be somewhat regular on your gameplay, which is something your need here since all that matters is FC.
thelewa
Wishy22 you have your standards too low. You should've aimed to FC everything that cookiezi FC'd. Imagine how good you would be.
Wishy
Funny thing is that even when we used that standard, after a few months we couldn't even clear Cookiezi's DTs. :c
Topic Starter
G0r
Woh, my thread is back. Anyway, I guess I'll give an update, since it is here. Firstly, Wishy, I've actually always done what you are saying about setting a standard. I think it's great advice. I have a lot of standards that I use in conjunction with each other right now, and I am always updating them to push my limits further. What I've done now, though, is also set mechanical standards, to a degree, so I can try to perfectly execute alternations and such. It's working.

As for the update, I am so much better than I was when I made this thread. I can now actually do a lot of the techniques I discussed with Aevv. I'm finding myself mechanically switching keys much more smoothly, and relying less on always single clicking for combinations. Best of all, my single click speed is way up! I actually passed a 140 something BPM map on DT the other night on a map where most of the top scores were hidden. It wasn't FC, but my FC's are getting better too. I can now play Hardrock! I used to suck awfully at it, but I've been able to HD HR some good stuff lately. I am now putting a lot of attention into improving accuracy on HD HR, and overall accuracy. One of my biggest problems is that I still tense up my arm and hand muscles to try to grip harder when I play fast, like on DT, but I am finding that I can consciously make the decision to relax, and then I aim about five times better, and I free up my muscles to click at a speed that I really didn't think I could do. I still can't control it at the speeds that I am trying to attain, but I can play them now, and that's the first step. Some of the practice maps from this thread are still owning me every time, so I have a lot of work to do.

I hope this is instructional for others. Thank you for the advice, Wishy, although I don't think switching to a tablet would helps my woes. I am a click/x mouse player, and I don't think I'd ever want to adjust to playing tap/x on a tablet. As for a mech keyboard, I have some interest in it, but I feel that getting one for clicking just one key isn't warranted for me yet. I need to improve my use of that key first.
Wishy
Even if you use only one key, my single tapping actually got better (my endurance improved) instantly after getting a mechanical keyboard. It won't be a big help like it is to z/x players, but it will indeed help you a bit, plus it's really comfortable to use. :p
Topic Starter
G0r
I'm going to seriously consider getting one at the next opportunity, then.
silmarilen
i played with a mech kb once and it felt very weird, i would probably need a long time to get used to streaming with it. and single tapping felt a lot heavier than with my current kb.
Mythras
mech helps really fast single tapping because I only have to press the key down most of the way... I think anyways.
darkmiz
black switches are good for training finger strength.
strength = stamina = speed
Topic Starter
G0r
It just occurred to me that I think that playing HR is what improved my clicking speed... I must do more of this...
Tanzklaue

G0r wrote:

It just occurred to me that I think that playing HR is what improved my clicking speed... I must do more of this...
HR is probably THE mod for improving overall. plus it really feels rewarding to pass or even fc something with HR.
Shiro

Tanzklaue wrote:

G0r wrote:

HR is probably THE mod for improving overall. plus it really feels rewarding to pass or even fc something with HR.
DT is better to improve. It improves clicking speed, clicking accuracy (both to get 300s and to click things properly), reaction speed and trains to read high ARs. HR only helps with reaction speed and accuracy (only to get 300s).
JappyBabes
Here, have a random DT map.
Soaprman
If you need another reason to get a mech keyboard, they are fun as hell to type on. The loud clicking is so satisfying.

Do make sure you have headphones with a decent degree of noise blocking so you don't hear your typing while you play though. :P
Topic Starter
G0r
Shiro, I was actually able to DT stuff way earlier than I could HR. I think DT is really helpful for getting fast, but I am feeling like HR is forcing me to click everything more evenly. I don't know how to describe it. It's like my muscles have to be perfect for each click to stay accurate, and it's really a workout on my hand and arm. By the time I top 40 something I've basically killed my hand, but then I go and play a fast DT map that I couldn't do before, and all of a sudden my muscles have no problem with it. I'm definitely going to keep DTing stuff, but HR is really helping me with doing that right now.
Purple

Tom94 wrote:

Didn't exceed the 250-260 border aswell.
Says he can't do more than 260

Does Mad Machine on HR
Tanzklaue

Purlpo wrote:

Tom94 wrote:

Didn't exceed the 250-260 border aswell.

Does Mad Machine on HR
learn to read. he said that with tap+x, he couldn't exceed 250-260 BPM. with keyboard only, he can.
jesse1412

Tanzklaue wrote:

Purlpo wrote:

Does Mad Machine on HR
learn to read. he said that with tap+x, he couldn't exceed 250-260 BPM. with keyboard only, he can.
other way around, tapping allows you to get a lot faster with far less effort.