forum

Achievement Graphics

posted
Total Posts
show more
Doodley

jamujamu wrote:

Generalization.
Sorry. I get frustrated with the osu! community quite a bit, and I've met a lot of people who just say something (sometimes my own, sometimes not) flat out sucks giving no reasons as to why, discouraging whoever made it and providing no points to help. I've seen a few users who really helped a beatmap outside modding, and modding is of course all constructive criticism.

And you raise a good point, I usually get by on the quote "different strokes for different folks", so others may want cute or innocent achievements, I personally believe the idea can be played with somewhat to achieve a far more interesting result than what the user expects. Something that is literally "obsessed" and takes it to a new level.

But I'm rambling. I hope the next batch of achievement names comes soon, I'd like to get some new ones.
theowest

jamujamu wrote:

Work scales badly. Share anyway. Might vector it and any others I do.

That is amazing. You win.

Derekku wrote:

inverness wrote:

May I try?

I know this one sucks and needs moar improvements ><
Cute, but we're looking for original artwork. :p
There's no rules and guidelines on the frontpage that stated we have to draw our own artwork here. Only statement that says "how the achievement should look" It's about the whole design of the achievement, not it's artwork.

Nah, I'm just sayin'
MillhioreF

inverness wrote:

There's no rules and guidelines on the frontpage that stated we have to draw our own artwork here.
http://osu.ppy.sh/forum/p/1460621

MillhioreF wrote:

inverness wrote:

There's no rules and guidelines on the frontpage that stated we have to draw our own artwork here.
ouch
k then :(
XK2238

MillhioreF wrote:

inverness wrote:

Ah lol, I'll give up then
Topic Starter
peppy
Accepting Doodley's "Obsessed"

Accepting RBRat3's "Nonstop" (the pippi one, although the other is very usable too. i mostly chose the pippi one due to the anti-aliasing artifacts on the hard diagonals of the panel on the arrow one, for what it's worth. i know this could easily be fixed.)

Thinking Ballance's "Obsessed" works better for "dedication" from a conceptual perspective, and would like to use it still. Does anyone disagree with this move?

Really like RBRat3's "jack of all trades" except the cards have no jack showing, which makes it a bit weird. Are there enough pixels to show a "J" + suit on the top-most card or something?

Thanks for the awesome submissions guys. You are making this hard (to judge :P).

Could the winning entries please send over the PSDs at earliest convenience.
theowest
I was really hoping for jamujamu to win.
gokiburi

theowest wrote:

Thanks, but I think mine looks quite bad scaled down. I feel peppy chose right. I will some of the other achievements though.
RBRat3

peppy wrote:

Accepting Doodley's "Obsessed"

Accepting RBRat3's "Nonstop" (the pippi one, although the other is very usable too. i mostly chose the pippi one due to the anti-aliasing artifacts on the hard diagonals of the panel on the arrow one, for what it's worth. i know this could easily be fixed.)

Thinking Ballance's "Obsessed" works better for "dedication" from a conceptual perspective, and would like to use it still. Does anyone disagree with this move?

Really like RBRat3's "jack of all trades" except the cards have no jack showing, which makes it a bit weird. Are there enough pixels to show a "J" + suit on the top-most card or something?

Thanks for the awesome submissions guys. You are making this hard (to judge :P).

Could the winning entries please send over the PSDs at earliest convenience.
Use what you like best, getting rid of the aliasing is no big deal before sending it off :)

It would look weird shuffling cards backwards XD but I'll see what can be done to get a jack to be discernible.
Topic Starter
peppy
I guess it's (the jack thing) kind of implied anyway, so not a big deal.
gokiburi
I threw a few cards together for the hell of it. If I can think of ideas for each number I might just finish the set.

A colourless proof of concept:
Marcin

theowest wrote:

Me 2 :c
theowest

jamujamu wrote:

I threw a few cards together for the hell of it. If I can think of ideas for each number I might just finish the set.

I think you should be able to see more than just the osu icon. More game modes.
bomber34

theowest wrote:

jamujamu wrote:

maybe just 3 cards with all game mode icons like theowest suggested?
gokiburi

theowest wrote:

I felt the same way, but the size to detail ratio was bugging me. These are the other ideas I had.

I will vector the CTB and Taiko icons and see what I can do. The greys are probably a bit too light as well.

bomber34 wrote:

maybe just 3 cards with all game mode icons like theowest suggested?
I will try it.
theowest
I don't see the point with 2 extra osu ones. Three or four would be enough (+ osu!mania?)

You are going to add more colour, right?
gokiburi

theowest wrote:

I don't see the point with 2 extra osu ones. Three or four would be enough (+ osu!mania?)

You are going to add more colour, right?
I was thinking of doing a full set of cards, and just the game modes wouldn't have covered that, but with the idea of the game modes in mind as the only cards it does render the idea of multiple in each useless, especially since they need to be smaller on the image.

Yes I'll add colour once I decide on what doesn't look bad.
Ballance
no doubt.
actually my achievement is "dedication" but i made a wrong type (hey! :o
gokiburi
I can't find a place for much colour since these icons aren't very colourful to begin with, so it may not be the best choice in that respect. osu!mania currently has no icon (?) so I don't have anything to vector for that.

I'll have to come back to this since I'm out of time to work on it right now. I appreciate the advice.
Tshemmp

jamujamu wrote:

I can't find a place for much colour since these icons aren't very colourful to begin with, so it may not be the best choice in that respect.
I like it colourless as it is now.
Galkan

jamujamu wrote:

I can't find a place for much colour since these icons aren't very colourful to begin with, so it may not be the best choice in that respect. osu!mania currently has no icon (?) so I don't have anything to vector for that.

I'll have to come back to this since I'm out of time to work on it right now. I appreciate the advice.
This is sweeeeeet! If only icons were coloured (like they are present in game) it'd be even more awesome.
Also, the Taiko Jack is red, while others are black.
theowest
How about you nudge the two cards on the side down a bit, so that they don't all blend together on the top.

Like so.

I was thinking of having the original colours. Pink for osu, green or red apple and maybe an orange drum?
Winshley
@jamujamu: I think the osu! logo can be left with red instead, along with either Jack of Heart or Jack of Diamond. You can leave the rest as black with Jack of Spade and Jack of Clubs.
Topic Starter
peppy

jamujamu wrote:

This is great.
gokiburi

Galkan wrote:

This is sweeeeeet! If only icons were coloured (like they are present in game) it'd be even more awesome.
Also, the Taiko Jack is red, while others are black.
I actually didn't realize they were coloured. I took them from the player cards and they all looked the same white to me. Hearts and Diamonds are generally red.

theowest wrote:

How about you nudge the two cards on the side down a bit, so that they don't all blend together on the top.
I was thinking of having the original colours. Pink for osu, green or red apple and maybe an orange drum?

Winshley wrote:

I think the osu! logo can be left with red instead, along with either Jack of Heart or Jack of Diamond. You can leave the rest as black with Jack of Spade and Jack of Clubs.
All suggestions into this one. I'm not sure about the saturation of these. Thoughts?

peppy wrote:

This is great.
Thanks. You're great. (-;
theowest
That's it, it's perfect!
Doodley
The colored one is perfect. Absolutely perfect.

EDIT: BUT, red might work a little nicer for Taiko than a brown. Green pink red.
theowest

Doodley wrote:

EDIT: BUT, red might work a little nicer for Taiko than a brown. Green pink red.
I disagree. Red is too close in colour to pink. Taiko drums are orange/brown, right?

Edit: How about having them in order so that taiko is on top, behind is osu and ctb comes afterwards. Just so you can see all the Js on the top left side on all the three cards. The top left letter on the taiko card can't be seen for now.
Mithos
Taiko having a brownish-orange colour looks fine. It's close enough to don-red without being too close to osu!'s pink and singling out CtB's green through contrast.
Doodley

theowest wrote:

Doodley wrote:

I disagree. Red is too close in colour to pink. Taiko drums are orange/brown, right?
Oh, I suppose you're right. It could be a little brighter though, it looks a tad brown...
Mithos
just make sure it feels orange, not red.
gokiburi
Here's a side by side comparison of the previous and the one with the new suggestions.

I thought the colour I had chosen was more orange than brown, but my eyes fooled me again.
Mithos
That looks great. The only thing I can think of doing is making the osu! text a tiny bit bigger so it matches the button (see the top left of your screen). It also helps define the center of the image better by emphasizing a centerpiece

too much art class critique stuff talking
Doodley
It's perfect. Crazy how much input is going into this, but this is the beauty of constructive criticism. (also why we have the modding system)

Go with Mithost's input and it's perfect.
gokiburi

Mithost wrote:

It also helps define the center of the image better by emphasizing a centerpiece
I'm not sure what you mean by that. The osu! jack on top again? An addition that can be used to center the piece?

Doodley wrote:

It's perfect. Crazy how much input is going into this, but this is the beauty of constructive criticism. (also why we have the modding system)

Go with Mithost's input and it's perfect.
It's an achievement for everyone, after all. It shouldn't be decided on hastily and without additional input. Think of how far it's come since the first iteration! Think of how many times it's been perfect as well. (-;
Mithos
I don't mind if Taiko is on top (I actually perfer it) but the bigger osu! text makes it more prominent and makes a better centerpiece.
Topic Starter
peppy
This one: locked in!
Please PM me the psd when you can :).
Doodley
On the note of using Ballance's artwork for Dedication, I'm cool with it if you are. There might be something out there that can better represent Dedication, but I can't think of anything good at the moment. Leave it to Ballance if you'd like, though. I'm just waiting on the next batch of names. 8-)
Ballance
@Doodley
i think that's enough,thx 4 your suggestion.
i'm also waiting for the next achevements

btw,i find i should use VPN to see @jamujamu's artwork ,perfect .
i love your "obsessed" and this kind of painting style.
really moe me away :D
show more