forum

how depressing is puella magi madoka magica?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Gameboy Advance Kid
i am amazed at how depressing it is. i did not know it was an anime for emos and low lifes and so on.

this anime is good and all but i was expecting it to be like darker than black and sailor moon mixed together. boy was i wrong.

right now im on ep10. and you know what? should i even continue to give this anime any more chances? i guess ill watch the rest since im near the end.

how can everyone say its good? maybe their all emos or bipolars? if thats the case i should have looked up a critic review in the first place. im so stupid. why didnt i look up a critic review? i should just die. TnT *sarcasm

i do have some problems with the characters or maybe the story because if they all just worked together then it would have been like a mixture of sailor moon and darker than black?

i think this would be a good anime for you, the viewer, if you have been seeing so many of the magical girl kind of animes where almost nothing grows worse and everyone's happy. especially if your emo or bipolar.

oh god, i think i offended some people! im so racist i should just die! :(
mathexpert
You're right in some aspects; Madoka is quite dark and sad, not to mention there's probably at least 1 crying scene in every ep. But in my opinion that is what makes it unique among all the other anime in the magical girl (aka mahou shoujo) genre. I'd actually give you some reasons why Puella Magi Madoka Magica is a great anime in many aspects, but seeing that your post is essentially a (might I add, low quality) rant meant to garner attention... thanks but no thanks

here, have some kawaii to brighten your day!

Foxtrot
To each his own.
Merumi_old
Puella Magi Madoka Magica is a particular anime majokko. It's not like other majokko when there are the usual girls with pink ribbon, cute skirts and ecc.
Each puella fights for her life.. Any story of this girls is depressing, very depressing lolz There is also a fund yuri if you don't notice =w=
So, it's a very nice anime and worth a lot.
JonnyThatJonny
It's a good show, overrated into godtier level and with an annoying fandom (like everything popular), but good. And if you made it that far watch it until the end, the last couple of episodes are the best ones.

And I didn't find it that depressive or negative, I find it pretty lame when shows have forced happy endings so...
Cyclohexane
If you were to quit at one point, it should've been at ep3 (unless you spoiled yourself, I didn't). Now you're stuck with it until you finish it.
I'm in the same situation actually, haven't watched it since ep7.
I do find it depressive (so far at least) considering I'm generally a cheerful guy and it did bring my mood down (along with giving me a night of insomnia but I digress)
It's probably way more bearable if you're not a wimp like me or if you have MORNING RESCUE (had to do it)

By the way, if you don't like it, it doesn't mean it's necessarily bad. It's regarded as very good, but it's always up to the viewer to judge. For example, I can tell that it's very good, but I personally can't enjoy it because it's too depressing for me and I prefer light shows.

As Dulcet said: To each their own.
Dafydd
It's quite depressing for an anime with magical lolis.
The ending was a happy one sooo I guess it was not that bad.
Hernan
You have to be emo or bipolar to like it? I don't get it. ._.

Have you even watched ep.10 already? It's the best one iirc. Anyways, if you're not enjoying at that point it you should already quit watching.
Sync
It's been awhile since I watched it, but I definitely don't remember it being too dark or depressing. Maybe it's just my memory, but the most emotional part was definitely the ending (for me; lots tend to disagree I guess)

I enjoyed this anime too -- I'd recommend it to other people personally
Shohei Ohtani
mfw puella magi madoka magica

Topic Starter
Gameboy Advance Kid
just finished it. and im quite bothered a bit....because even though all the witches are gone now there are WRAITHS.

its like madokas wish left in vain. but her wish did help a bit.

and i do admit that ep 10-12 is good. and when it showed homuras side of her story made me feel really sorry for her. especially her struggle to protect madoka. all those time travels, watching her team mates die and eventually kill each other, and then her seeing madoka making a wish that probably made her lose her life. yikes.

personally, this anime kind of left me in despair. i was hoping it would be, again, like darker then black and sailor moon mixed together. i guess i should be careful next time.

on the contrary, i did watch animes like darker than black, canaan, cowboy behop (manga version), durarara (DA BEST SHITE), ghost in the shell and so on so seeing this the first time made me think i was, again, going to see something that had a mixture of darker than black mixed with sailor moon (im sorry if i keep mentioning that).

i also looked up the anime on wikipedia a while ago and found that it actually has genre of Drama, Horror, Magical girl, Tragedy. maybe the main reason was drama....or tragedy...idk!

right now im searching for another anime that has a mixture of darker than black and sailor moon mixed together. maybe a magical girl action? (again) IDK!

ALSO

CDFA wrote:

mfw puella magi madoka magica

what?
Topic Starter
Gameboy Advance Kid
MY ANIME FEVER HAS BEEN RESTORED.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NkJQneLyqg

yay.
Dafydd
i think ano hana had the saddest ending in the 2011 anime list. liked it more than madoka in terms of tears and stuff. good story too.
ampzz
Madoka was hilarious at how serious it tried to take itself. :D
420Guy
depressing? lol.
Sure the ending is not the best but the Anime is still Epic like Guilty Crown.
Sync

Dafydd wrote:

i think ano hana had the saddest ending in the 2011 anime list. liked it more than madoka in terms of tears and stuff. good story too.
ano hana is by far one of the worst anime ever

the ending was pathetically melodramatic

everytime I think of it I cringe
mathexpert

Dafydd wrote:

anohana movie coming next year :D
JonnyThatJonny

Sync wrote:

Dafydd wrote:

the ending was pathetically melodramatic

everytime I think of it I cringe
YES.
NoHitter
Depressing? Not quite sure about depressing. Sure it was sad, but not so much as depressing.

Although those three giant plot twists almost crossed the line.
(Mami's sudden death,Magical girls -> witches,Homura's backstory)
Zerostarry
homu homu~
Lance
Being meguca is suffering

In all seriousness it wasn't really sad at all.
Elly-chan
I was just left with a 'wow' at the ending; It was sorta sad / depressing, but not entirely either one imo. I loved the series, though.
Tsukimi Luna
Psychological is what i could call it, not depresseing..
Although not really what I have expected
And Ending wasnt really not up to my expectations

But the plot was twisted but I actually kinda liked it
The way it made me sad and all
Will be one of my top 10

Also if u watched madoka during its airing....
You'll tend to appreciate it more because of that climax feel during the hiatus due to last year's earthquake
People who watched bakemonogatari and madoka during its airing will know what I mean... right?

PS : I like psychological/emotional genres eg:) STEINS;GATE , CLANNAD AS, Mirai Nikki and etc
nomen
For me Madoka wasn't that depressing as you are describing, It was sad but not sad enough to actually cause depression.
Anyway I loved anime and not to mention epic music <3
P.S One of my favourite animes right next to Steins;Gate
Tanzklaue

Wehzy wrote:

depressing? lol.
Sure the ending is not the best but the Anime is still Epic like Guilty Crown.
only that guilty crown sucked balls. but still, both share one main attribute, besides being hyped like they are the messiah of the anime world: they take themselves much too serious, especially guilty crown.

Madoka wasn't depressing at all for me, but rather confusing. I don't remember that much anyway, but I still know that I sat in front of my pc and didn't really got anything out of the ending. maybe I didn't care enough about the characters, maybe it really was just a confusing ending, but I have to say that I don't hate it, and maybe recommend it for others if they can deal with much senseless shit, because in the end, I felt entertained.
420Guy

Dafydd wrote:

Ano Hana?! No i dont think so.. the story was good ye, but menma or whatever the name is..she is pissing me off. I didnt cried at all.
Dafydd
Well I was just trying to compare Puella Magi Madoka Magica from AnoHana. I think Madoka was the better anime, but AnoHana was more emotional. imho some people just exaggerate how sad/depressing madoka is.
nomen

Dafydd wrote:

Well I was just trying to compare Puella Magi Madoka Magica from AnoHana. I think Madoka was the better anime, but AnoHana was more emotional. imho some people just exaggerate how sad/depressing madoka is.
Comparing those two anime, I say AnoHana was more sad than Madoka.
Tsukimi Luna
CLANNAD AS far surpasses all of the stated above
nomen

Yuu-Chii wrote:

True.
mathexpert

Yuu-Chii wrote:

eIohim
Madoka wasn't depressing at all, bittersweet at most, and only if you're kinda sensible. Otherwise it ends in an ok note to me.
About AnoHana, I've had it on my HDD for two weeks now, and I never have enough time to watch it. Although, after reading the -sort of negative- feedback here, I'm giving it a shot tonight.
rizqy96
well, it's depressing but interesting at the same time being it's a magical girl anime. And i'm looking forward to the movie. The movie will be aired soon.
nomen
Same, I'm waiting for movie. I'm pretty sure it will be awesome.
rizqy96

nomen wrote:

Same, I'm waiting for movie. I'm pretty sure it will be awesome.
yeah, but it's a ashame that the 3rd movie with the new plot is still next year. I'm curious with what will happened to homura and the others
ampzz

Yuu-Chii wrote:

Clannad wasn't depressing, it was plain stupid and poorly written.

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 is a prime example of anime which is actually heart wrenching.
Tanzklaue

ampzz wrote:

Yuu-Chii wrote:

Clannad wasn't depressing, it was plain stupid and poorly written.
yay, finally someone who shares my opinion about clannad.
show more