forum

Shadows of Lylat - Fan-made Starfox game for the PC

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Nachy

Website

That's right. A new Starfox game is going to be a free standalone fan-made game for the PC.

This project is a fan made standalone game that runs on the FreeSpace Open engine. It is not a mod since you do not need FreeSpace in order to run it. Shadows of Lylat is not for any console system, and we are not affiliated by Nintendo, Argonaut Software, Namco, Q-Games, or anyone else terribly important. To play it, all you will need is a fairly recent computer system. Exact system requirements aren't set yet, but they shouldn't be that bad.

* Lots of playable craft, including 3 different Arwings
* Weapons galore
* Massive enemies, both new and old
* Space and ground based missions
* A deep storyline
* Multiplayer
* And much more![/QUOTE]
See the whole FAQ here, they can use your help!

Screenshots:

Looking pretty good for a work-in-progress.

Related stuff:

Youtube Profile
Forums

All I can say is I hope Nintendo doesn't try to cancel this. It's not like Nintendo's going to make this game anytime soon.
Loginer
I just don't get it. Why do so many fans and aspiring game developers spend lots of time and effort creating a game with Nintendo characters, when they know Nintendo will shut them down if the game looks good? I mean,they should at least create a few unique characters, change the Arwing design a bit and call the game Shadows of Latyl or something. Is a game really that much better if it features other people's copyrighted characters?

Mark my words, they will receive a cease-and-desist letter before the game is finished, and they WILL get cold feet and drop the project in a flash.
Topic Starter
Nachy

Loginer wrote:

I just don't get it. Why do so many fans and aspiring game developers spend lots of time and effort creating a game with Nintendo characters, when they know Nintendo will shut them down if the game looks good? I mean,they should at least create a few unique characters, change the Arwing design a bit and call the game Galaxyfox or something. Is a game really that much better if it features other people's copyrighted characters?

Mark my words, they will receive a cease-and-desist letter before the game is finished, and they WILL get cold feet and drop the project in a flash.
True, it could have been also better if they made their own story, characters and settings instead of using an existing one and just use the similar gameplay and their original plans. I guess people really just want a new Starfox? I don't know.
Azure_Kite

Loginer wrote:

I just don't get it. Why do so many fans and aspiring game developers spend lots of time and effort creating a game with Nintendo characters, when they know Nintendo will shut them down if the game looks good? I mean,they should at least create a few unique characters, change the Arwing design a bit and call the game Galaxyfox or something. Is a game really that much better if it features other people's copyrighted characters?

Yeah, of course they will; a game that looks this good already won't stay out of nintendo's eyes for long. I wish them all the best though; this game does look very interesting. On the other hand, when they get the C&D, couldn't they just change the game slightly, as you suggested, to shake any copyright legislation that might stick to them?
Topic Starter
Nachy

Azure_Kyte wrote:

Loginer wrote:

Yeah, of course they will; a game that looks this good already won't stay out of nintendo's eyes for long. I wish them all the best though; this game does look very interesting. On the other hand, when they get the C&D, couldn't they just change the game slightly, as you suggested, to shake any copyright legislation that might stick to them?
Remove all things related to Starfox, make the characters human, the ships slightly different and etc. lol
Azure_Kite
well, it's probably not necessary to remove everything, just modify it enough so that it doesn't too closely resemble the original aircraft/etc.

I don't think the pilots really matter in a game like this. It would be better to remove any possible links to nintendo's characters and create their own. Then again, if you're flying through space, you'd be more likely paying attention to your immediate surroundings than to your pilot. Since this IS a space sim i'd suspect there'd be few to no actual outside cockpit scenes, but that's just a guess here.
awp

Azure_Kyte wrote:

On the other hand, when they get the C&D, couldn't they just change the game slightly, as you suggested, to shake any copyright legislation that might stick to them?
Woulda been nice to see this approach with Chrono Resurrection as well, but I think the "fanservice" aspect is half the point. It still looks really interesting, and I hope if they get the C&D they just remove all the copyright; Starfox is not about furfags or the Lylat system, it's about points a fun space shooter on rails.
Azure_Kite

awp wrote:

Woulda been nice to see this approach with Chrono Resurrection as well, but I think the "fanservice" aspect is half the point. It still looks really interesting, and I hope if they get the C&D they just remove all the copyright; Starfox is not about furfags or the Lylat system, it's about points a fun space shooter on rails.
uhm...I think this is a shooter without rails? Forgive me; I misread the FAQ. And a fanservice can still be a fan service if it sticks to a similar style as the original.

I'd like to point out TASpring, renamed the Spring project here. besed on a limited 3D RTS named Total Annihilation, they've managed to make a fully 3D version featuring FPS controls and destructible terrain, ensuring that enough has been changed to not be C&D'd for it, but retaining enough of the gameplay to still be awesome as hell.
lukewarmholiday
Starfox has some open areas in some of the games, but for the most part you're in a limited flying space on a path.

Rail shooter.
TODhaseo
"Dont get to cocky star fox"
Pokebis
If you think about it a little bit, nobody ever plays original Indie games. inb4 cave story and such. For some reason people always play this Nintendo rip off shit with Dragon Ball Z or Sonic characters or whatever. Like awp said, I was looking forward to Chrono Resurrection, and also Starlite I think it was called? It was supposed to be a Starcraft port to the DS and I was disappointed to see that shut down.
But, yeah, I as well don't get why people would do this unless it's for satirical purposes (and then it gets to be legal too). I think the reason they do this is they one, lack originality, or maybe are on their onliine forums going "hmmm I sure wish [Insert game here] would get a sequel, well, if they're not going to make one, I WILL!
But, really, developers, even professionals, please get a sense of originality and send us out of this state of same. There are some really innovative original indie titles, though. They aren't always freeware, though, and they ALWAYS get overlooked, and strangely enough, even more if they're good.

tl;dr: Indie developers are dumb and so are professional companies and gamers themselves.

Also, Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden, Chapter 1 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa full name for awp is the best fangame ever. Fuck year.
Azure_Kite

Pokebis wrote:

1:If you think about it a little bit, nobody ever plays original Indie games.

2:But, really, developers, even professionals, please get a sense of originality and send us out of this state of same. There are some really innovative original indie titles, though. They aren't always freeware, though, and they ALWAYS get overlooked, and strangely enough, even more if they're good.

3:Indie developers are dumb and so are professional companies and gamers themselves.
1: It's unfortunate, but that's because most people look at the mass market for their games.

2:As I mentioned Above, the Spring project was originally a 3D remake of TA, but they adapted the engine and reworked the system, and allowed user created mods which changed the game completely. Perfect example of a game which starts off as a remake of another,yet doesn't feel like a simple remake of the game.
Check http://springrts.com/ if you want more info.

uhm, also, I think the reason the gaming industry mostly lacks originality is because of the old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Unfortunately, it's been left unfixed for so long dust has settled and the industry has gone stagnant.

Hopefully I'll be able to help turn that around...soon.

3:...I'm not dumb (I know 1+1 = 3)
awp
Does Barkley: Shut Up and Jam Gaiden, Chapter One of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa really count as a fan game? I mean, it's really nothing like Barkley: Shut Up and Jam apart from a parody of the title.

I mean really nothing like it.
peppy
Still looks pretty early in development for "6 years and counting". But I'd hit it if it turns out to be any good. Cooperative gaming is the way of the future.

Also copyright can easily be avoided with a few texture changes usually ;).
Echo
To play it, all you will need is a fairly recent computer system.
seems to clash with
6 years of development
Loginer

Pokebis wrote:

If you think about it a little bit, nobody ever plays original Indie games.
That's probably because many indie developers fail at spreading the word. You could have the best game in the world on your hands, but no one will play it if they've never heard of it. You need to run around on message boards and pitch your game, ask various gaming sites/blogs to write about it, do everything you can to make sure people know the game exists.

That's why Cave Story and friends are so successful: Not because they're better than a lot of other indie games, but because people talk about them constantly. I mean, look at Bob's Game, a below average indie game made by the cockiest, most annoying developer I've ever seen. Everyone hates it, but it's still one of the first titles many will think of when they hear the phrase "indie games", because they keep hearing about it. That's also the big reason why many shitty fangames are more successful than good, original games: They're based on a franchise which already has a lot of fans, and are likely to attract attention very easily, not because playing as Link in an adventure game is more fun than playing as an original character (unless said character sucks).

Really, it usually only takes a few positive posts on a message board for me to give a free PC game a try, but if no one ever talks about it, how am I supposed to know it even exists? Pretty screenshots, good trailers, flashy websites and interesting feature lists are all useful things, but only if you manage to draw people's attention to them first.

tl;dr: Promotion is key.