forum

Unranking Halftime [invalid]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
cox5
Halftime should be unranked, it destroys the top rank on the hard maps.
mm201
Maps with halftime #1s aren't deserving of balanced scoreboards.
Aurele
If you talk about this : viewtopic.php?t=66915
Eheh, no.
Ekaru

mm201 wrote:

This.
Frizz
Unrank Flashlight mod they said, because it's cheating they said
Unrank Half Time mod they said, because it's destroying scoreboard they said
bomber34

mm201 wrote:

Sry if i sound stupid but what do you mean?
Do you agree that HT should be unranked or that Maps where only HT is possible for now to #1 shouldn't be ranked etc.
sry ...
Frizz
Just unrank everything, problem solved.
those

Frizz925 wrote:

Just unrank everything, problem solved.
Kurokami
Delete Halftime. It is destroy the music.

Honestly I don't care about HT since I'm not using, but I think you can't able to pass Big Black without it, or with it. If you fc'd that map, you are a real hero, even if you did with halftime.
Mithos
Half time is a learning tool, not a gameplay tool. I would rather have spunout be an easy mod instead of half time.
Stefan
People are crying because of mods.
And you're sure that you have nothing better to do?

1,400th Post

Edit:

Kurokami wrote:

And DT doesn't do this?
Mercurial
Nice try cococococo, you're banned now... Again.
Sakura
It's more likely that other mods get ranked, than this one getting unranked, so i'm pretty sure on denying this.
Soaprman

bomber34 wrote:

mm201 wrote:

Sry if i sound stupid but what do you mean?
Do you agree that HT should be unranked or that Maps where only HT is possible for now to #1 shouldn't be ranked etc.
sry ...
He's saying that maps like this are extreme outliers, and their scoreboards shouldn't be forced to not reflect that. Everywhere else, Halftime is nicely balanced at 30%. It wouldn't make sense to disrupt that balance for the sake of a tiny handful of super hard maps. You only see complaints the moment a halftime score appears on an online scoreboard. :P

Also, years ago, halftime was actually 50% instead of 30% and changing it was quite a score wipe. Imagine the ramifications of pulling something like that today.
Kurokami

TheNutritiousGuy wrote:

Edit:

Kurokami wrote:

And DT doesn't do this?
Yep, and I rarely use it. More like, I unable to use it.
Aqo
I love HalfTime but don't care about score from it.

The 30% is really stupid and makes no sense, because osu uses an exponential scoring system. This means that on long maps and on short maps the score effect by using HT is completely different, regardless of map difficulty.

Generally speaking, the problem isn't with HalfTime, it's with the exponential scoring system. Pretty sure almost nobody likes it for scoring purposes. Why can't scoring be more like taiko for standard? i.e. more linear, less exponential. Then you'd have no reason to complain about 30% score scores from HT because they'd actually make sense and be independent of map length, and an 80% accuracy run without HT would be worth more score than a 90% accuracy run with high combo and HT - which doesn't happen literally only because of the unlimited exponential combo scoring.

Getting more points from combos over random hits is good, but having no limit on this is, well, bad. Limit it to like 20-30. i.e. after a combo of 20, subsequent hits would yield the same score as 20th hit, instead of still increasing by 1.5 per one.
Obviously this is pointless to suggest because this wouldn't be done, since it would impact literally all the scores on standard and throw around all of the scoreboards, but this is still how it should be instead of how it is right now...
Mithos

Aqo wrote:

I love HalfTime but don't care about score from it.

The 30% is really stupid and makes no sense, because osu uses an exponential scoring system. This means that on long maps and on short maps the score effect by using HT is completely different, regardless of map difficulty.

Generally speaking, the problem isn't with HalfTime, it's with the exponential scoring system. Pretty sure almost nobody likes it for scoring purposes. Why can't scoring be more like taiko for standard? i.e. more linear, less exponential. Then you'd have no reason to complain about 30% score scores from HT because they'd actually make sense and be independent of map length, and an 80% accuracy run without HT would be worth more score than a 90% accuracy run with high combo and HT - which doesn't happen literally only because of the unlimited exponential combo scoring.

Getting more points from combos over random hits is good, but having no limit on this is, well, bad. Limit it to like 20-30. i.e. after a combo of 20, subsequent hits would yield the same score as 20th hit, instead of still increasing by 1.5 per one.
Obviously this is pointless to suggest because this wouldn't be done, since it would impact literally all the scores on standard and throw around all of the scoreboards, but this is still how it should be instead of how it is right now...
This begs another question... Why the heck does every thread that asks for a better scoring system get denied, flamed, and locked? We know score is broken, we know the star ranking system is broken (Strangeprogram being the same star rating as [insert slow paced anime OP here]), yet the only thing people have to rebuttal it is that people already used the broken system and the change will cause 100-1000 top players to rage for a week to a month.

People have suggested linear equation forumlas that better set score, even though it doesn't consider jumps and tricky moves (which I don't think the current one does), Harder songs get better scores than easy ones. If we get a good scoring system going, we can recalculate star rankings based on where the score ends up on the range of scores, 1 to wherever. Problem solved. The top players will jumble a bit if the songs they grinded on were not as hard as the score system gave it credit for, but in the end it should be better off.

Max difficulty being on 70% of popular maps is ridiculous.
Aqo
It's not even hard to make a rough scoring system that takes jumps into account; just add pre-hit movement/time to the score that hit gives, done. Easiest formula in the history of gaming.
mm201
The computation involved in recalculating existing scores is extreme. A replay would need to be run for every score in the system.
Scores below a certain number don't even have replays saved for them, making this completely impossible.
This is why any change in the scoring necessitates a complete score wipe.
PP is the new, more fair metric you've been asking for.

And it's quadratic, not exponential.

Mithost wrote:

[This begs another question... Why the heck does every thread that asks for a better scoring system get denied, flamed, and locked?
Ironic how this is the first flame post in the thread. And this lock should now be obvious.