forum

VSync (FPS Limit) in all menu parts of osu! [added]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
nanashiRei
I searched and didn't find this so here i go.

I usually run osu! with Framelimit disabled because if i run it with FPS limit to 60/120 there is a weird kind of delay to all the movement. But when i abuse osu! as a jukebox i don't want my graphiccard to go all crazy just to render the menu. So my next though was:

Why not add an automatic 60FPS limit to all osu! menus and stop our CPUs/GPUs from melting?

If you think this is usefull please star it!
those
If I run osu! without vsync there is a weird kind of delay to all the movement.
Jesss
When you run osu! is minimized or you focus the cursor into another process, osu! enters into a "break" mode...that avoids GPU/CPU temps raising, that happens in my case.

AND all GPU's and computers are different...opposite to those statement, i can run osu! smoothly @120fps and i don't need to set up to unlimited because my CPU cooling (stock cooler sucks) starts to yell e.e
Soaprman
You can press F7 from anywhere to cycle through the framerate options, too. Just set it to vsync when you get to the main menu.
Jesss

Soaprman wrote:

You can press F7 from anywhere to cycle through the framerate options, too. Just set it to vsync when you get to the main menu.
I think that NanashiRei is requesting an independent fps setup for each part of the game o.O

EG:
Main Menu = set to 60
Select Music = unlimited
Gameplay = 120
Editing a Beatmap = set to 60

am i right?
Soaprman
It seems more like a request to force 60FPS on menus, where there's nothing to gain from a higher framerate. I never said it was a bad idea; I'm just saying that it's really fast and easy to change between framerates whenever one desires.
Jesss

Soaprman wrote:

It seems more like a request to force 60FPS on menus, where there's nothing to gain from a higher framerate. I never said it was a bad idea; I'm just saying that it's really fast and easy to change between framerates whenever one desires.
Who said it was a bad idea? ._. either yours is better structured.
boat
What kind of pissy gpu can't handle constantly running the menu? Did you actually check if the temps got too high on your toaster? (Or higher due to the game menu at least, rather then you just having bad cooling that makes the temperatures constantly rise).

Small edit: Running it for a few minutes on a 560ti without a fan on the heatsink (although with a casefan blowing on it), doesn't go above 48, which is perfectly fine for it being ghetto passively cooled.

No noticeable changes in temperatures whilst running it either, jumps up and down between 45 and 48.

I'd say rather either use f7 or dust out your toaster.
peppy
I may actually implement this, forcing 120fps limit outside of gameplay (and options screen, as people would probably use it to test their mouse latency with settings changes) if only to reduce overall power consumption of osu!. Thinking about the number of watts saved worldwide makes me want to do it.

Today's PCs do draw a lot of power, after all. It could be the difference between 200 and 800w total consumption with some power-hungry CPU and GPUs.
ampzz
But I like running my osu! with over 1000FPS with forced Super-sample Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering at 16x throughout every part of the game.

120FPS runs shockingly when you have a 120Hz capable screen with noticeable delay and screen lag.
Azure_Kite
osu! going Green.

You need a green main menu the day this update is released, if it's implemented.

peppy
Anti-aliasing on a sprite-based game? You realise that is pointless and if anything will cause artifacting, right?
Topic Starter
nanashiRei
It's cool to see this got some attention. What i think is that 60-120FPS in menus are more then enough.

P.S.: Don't all "pro"'s run osu on low details mode? And don't they all delete BG+SB? :S anyway~ keep discussing, also star this damn thing xD
My1_old
nic3 Idea, why not?