forum

Make Relax and Auto Pilot work with No Fail and Sudden Death [invalid]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
bwross
Now that Relax and Auto Pilot are "serious" ranked mods, it would be nice if they worked properly with No Fail and Sudden Death, as you can select them together (ie one from each of the mutually exclusive pairs... eg Relax + No Fail), but they don't do anything.

Basically, what I'm seeing is (I'm assuming that since they are scorable, score and combo will eventually be displayed):

Relax/Auto Pilot + neither: Play is failable (health bar will need to be displayed).

Relax/Auto Pilot + No Fail: Play is as it is now (health bar not needed).

Relax/Auto Pilot + Sudden Death: Play ends on first missed note (or failure to be in the circle during the window).

It might be appropriate to have spinners require holding down a key for at least Auto Pilot (making the player spin the mouse might not qualify as "relaxing" enough, even with the more serious take on the mod), unless, of course, Spun Out is selected... this would further making the mods work consistently together (because you can select Auto Pilot + Spun Out together, but it also does nothing except modify the score multiplier).

Why would I want this? Well last year I spent a few months with a broken finger on my right hand... which made it hard to play osu! standard (as I'm primarily right handed). So I tried Auto Pilot as a way to just play with my left hand... but the lack of ability to fail as well as the lack of a combo counter or Xs on mistakes made it too non-serious for me to bother with that for long. Now that things are more serious with the mods being ranked, I figure it might be time to consider making them play more serious, without the safety net.
JappyBabes
They're no longer ranked mods.
theowest

JappyBabes wrote:

true.
and therefore this feature request should be denied.
Topic Starter
bwross

theowest wrote:

JappyBabes wrote:

true.
and therefore this feature request should be denied.
I'm not seeing why. The timing of my suggestion might have been due to the move to treat them as ranked... but the actual suggestion isn't predicated on that condition at all (there was still a movement towards treating all plays more seriously, even if it was backed out of ranking for these two... they still add up play counts now, so they are being treated more seriously). I would have suggested it before, but I figured that people would dismiss it out of hand as "that's relax mode, it's not supposed to be serious" (and it looks like I was right: not a ranked mod == not important). Relax is just the name, I'm probably not alone in wishing that there was a way to make it more serious. This is a way to do that, and it allows for Relax to be played as it is now. It doesn't require the scoring to be accurate (although that would be nice), and it definitely doesn't require that the scores be recorded or count for anything in any way... what it really is about is making mods selected together actually work together the way one would expect and about having a way for Relax and Auto Pilot to be failable. Rankability isn't a requirement.

Some more points:
1) The end screen still comes up with hits, misses, max combo, accuracy, meter graph, and even a score (of sorts). The game is tracking health throughout, and can certainly tell if you die. It would be nice to have that feedback during play (in at least some way) rather than after it... particularly the meter and combo info. The song position pie/bar chart would also be really nice, but that's a separate issue (because even if I am "relaxing", I still want to be able to check to see how much song there is left... especially during marathons).

2) Ranked or not, the mods are still selectable together, and one way or the other, that's a bug. Not a critical one, but it still allows you to select combinations of mods that don't work as advertised. It isn't high priority, but either the mods should be made to work or the UI should be changed to not allow illegal mod combinations and show what you're getting (if No Fail and Spun Out are being automatically selected for you it should probably show that in some way). Personally, I think that making them work is the more interesting and useful choice... and as I point out in (1), the infrastructure appears to already be there, it isn't not tracking things in these mods.
theowest
The fact that they're selectable together is a bug.