forum

So about country rankings.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
-Athena-
I've been thinking about this for awhile, and I didn't want to make a feature request about this yet seeing as this isn't a very important topic. I also searched for country rankings in both here and feature requests and the only thing that appeared which was relevant was this
t/55934/hilit=country+rankings
As you can see it was posted in feature requests 11 months ago and was ignored so i thought about bringing it up again.

Now that that's settled, what I want to discuss is why aren't country rankings based on average ranked score instead of ranked score?
The way it is now the country rankings basically never change since it's very dependent on the amount of users playing in a country, giving countries with more players or a bigger population an advantage. It's only fair that country rankings be based on the average strength of everyone (yes everyone who plays counts) in a certain country.

Now comes the question of 'hey? what if a country like the US with loads of people has a lot of inactive users dragging the country down?'
Well though it seems unfair, a country ranking as I said should be based on the overall strength of a country, inclusive of everyone, besides if a country with a large population has many inactive users then there will also be many active users to keep the rankings up (i may be a little off here but i think you get the point)

'But wait!! The score rankings don't mean much and aren't a proper measure of a country's true average skill.' While we are on the subject of that, i felt since this is related i might as well say it here. But don't we already have a fairly accurate ranking system to measure(however hard it may be) skill? Why not implement it on the country rankings as well? Meaning a separate country rankings based on pp, it definitely doesn't need to be real time, and this will make everyone happy.

Right now http://osu.ppy.sh/p/pp?c= (insert random country code) exists but brings you to an empty page with the same lines as the performance rankings page. (this for example http://osu.ppy.sh/p/pp?c=JP ) That means that something like this is possible and may already be being worked on, so I do hope we get more news on it.

That's it, for those epic tl:dr people, basically I want country rankings to be based on average ranked score instead of total, and i believe pp country rankings should also be implemented.
Gon
idk man.. cause if you based countries on average score right now, senegal would be #1 #2 (cayman is #1, right jaka) with -four- active users and 294m average ranked score, and Uzbekiztan would come secondthird.

and if that lone guy in his country decides to play some (see: countries with one active user) and get a billion, that's #1 right there lol
JAKACHAN

Gon wrote:

idk man.. cause if you based countries on average score right now, senegal would be #1 with -four- active users and 294m average ranked score, and Uzbekiztan would come second.

and if that lone guy in his country decides to play some (see: countries with one active user) and get a billion, that's #1 right there lol
Actually Cayman Islands is 814 mil average with 3 users so I think they would get the prize for #1 lol. I agree with what you said though, average score ranking isn't a good idea.
Topic Starter
-Athena-

Gon wrote:

idk man.. cause if you based countries on average score right now, senegal would be #1 with -four- active users and 294m average ranked score, and Uzbekiztan would come second.

Well.. I must admit I never thought of that, but I believe exceptions could be put in place.
thank the heavens this isn't in feature requests lol