forum

Writing the mod in the same window [duplicate]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
theowest
Switching between windows can be a pain, especially if your osu! screen is large and can't be put on the side, or if you don't have a two or more screens for your computer. I've always found it much easier to quickly make a irc mod and quickly point out what has to be modded and so on. Writing the mod right where you are is a much better way to do things.

I'm guessing it would then be copied or submitted to the beatmap thread once you're done with the mod. That's be the best way to finish it off.

So what do you think?
SPOILER
I'm sorry, but I'm way too tired to correct any grammatical errors and explain myself any better. You should understand what I mean by all this.
Tshemmp
I think... yes!
Same if someone modded your map so that you can look through all points easily.
those

Is your desktop size not large enough to do this?
Sakura
You can already copy/paste notes from the editor into time(combo numbers) format on any text input, I worry that implementing something like this would clutter the editor screen leaving less space to even look at what's going on, also switching windows isn't that bad either.
YTYuyu
I agree with Sakura but at the same time i agree with theowest. there's several people ik that post a long mod but sometimes they either close the page or refresh the page by accident, which causes them to start all over again and the modder might be angry, sad or surprised because of that. it happened to me so many times when i mod a map.
Sakura
Idk, when i close the page by accident, i can always "open recently closed tabs" and reopen it, and the text is still in there, if you're scared of that happening, might do what those suggested instead.
YTYuyu

Sakura Hana wrote:

Idk, when i close the page by accident, i can always "open recently closed tabs" and reopen it, and the text is still in there, if you're scared of that happening, might do what those suggested instead.
yea i guess that'll work. if this gets added, then the modding would be completely different and the question is where would they post? i guess copying and pasting the mod on the mapper's page wouldn't hurt at all so the full mod wouldn't be erased completely and to possibly avoid misclicks while modding.
awp
This should ideally be integrated into the client though. The ability for a modder to submit a mod through the client, and for a mapper to pull mods from the beatmap's thread via the client (which would then allow better support for highlighting sections and notes) would be awesome.
Soaprman
As somebody who does have plenty of screen space, I wouldn't want anything like this forced on me. Even when I had one monitor, I did what those did in his post up there. If it would really help you, though, I have no objection to it being added as long as I can turn it off. :P

As a side note, I wonder what screen resolutions osu! players tend to use. That would be a good poll for someone to make.
peppy

awp wrote:

This should ideally be integrated into the client though. The ability for a modder to submit a mod through the client, and for a mapper to pull mods from the beatmap's thread via the client (which would then allow better support for highlighting sections and notes) would be awesome.
was hoping someone would do this using the sdk i made available so i didn't have to, to be honest. volunteering? :p
awp
there's a public SDK? This is the first I've heard of it
akrolsmir
Duplicate of p/842649?

I actually prefer the idea proposed in t/56317/; which is, instead of typing out a mod, you directly make changes in the editor and export those changes so the mapper can approve/deny them. I'm working on a similar function, ModTrace, for AIBat, but right now that just tracks changes to an .osu file as human-readable text.
peppy
Improving the modding process is definitely on my personal todo list, but right now I have far too many other focuses to promise anything. *falling down never-ending hole*
Topic Starter
theowest

those wrote:

Is your desktop size not large enough to do this?
nope.

Sakura Hana wrote:

You can already copy/paste notes from the editor into time(combo numbers) format on any text input, I worry that implementing something like this would clutter the editor screen leaving less space to even look at what's going on, also switching windows isn't that bad either.
Yes, but it's annoying, time confusing and not fun to do. I agree with that screen cluttering, but a way to bring up the mod writing, like a channel for F8?

Byakugan249 wrote:

I agree with Sakura but at the same time i agree with theowest. there's several people ik that post a long mod but sometimes they either close the page or refresh the page by accident, which causes them to start all over again and the modder might be angry, sad or surprised because of that. it happened to me so many times when i mod a map.
I've lost too much kudosu because of that.. >: But thankfully such information is saved, when suddenly lost. I wonder when Google Chrome implemented that.

Sakura Hana wrote:

Google Chrome fix'd it or something. You can now go back, yes. So it's no longer a problem.

awp wrote:

exactly

Soaprman wrote:

As somebody who does have plenty of screen space, I wouldn't want anything like this forced on me. Even when I had one monitor, I did what those did in his post up there. If it would really help you, though, I have no objection to it being added as long as I can turn it off. :P

As a side note, I wonder what screen resolutions osu! players tend to use. That would be a good poll for someone to make.
My osu! screen is quite big.

akrolsmir wrote:

Duplicate of p/842649?

I actually prefer the idea proposed in t/56317/; which is, instead of typing out a mod, you directly make changes in the editor and export those changes so the mapper can approve/deny them. I'm working on a similar function, ModTrace, for AIBat, but right now that just tracks changes to an .osu file as human-readable text.
Yeah, it's basically just like the first one. I didn't know I was suppose to search for THAT. If only there was an easier way to search for things in here! Haha, I even made a reply to it 10 months ago. I personally disagree with the beatmap update file, I prefer to explain myself through text and pictures, and make suggestions, which they get to try out themselves in their own way, not doing it for them.
Your work here is much appreciated! I hope peppy employs you.

peppy wrote:

Improving the modding process is definitely on my personal todo list, but right now I have far too many other focuses to promise anything. *falling down never-ending hole*
well at least it's good to know that it's being thought of.
Sakura
Wow i never saw that one before, guess i'll deny this as duplicate and you can continue the discussion in the other thread.