forum

Post your desktop setup

posted
Total Posts
show more
dNextGen

Remco32 wrote:

All that just for osu!, watching animu and browsing the web..?
JZavala_old
right so full load power consumption is 700w

below 850w

so i'm not "quite wrong" then am i? lol

that's because i overbuilt. as i always overbuild my pc's as the psu is the one component i keep for a long time as atx standards don't change often. that and i had the funds. i could have made do with a 700/750w psu. as most are designed to handle 110-120% load.
Corin

dNextGen wrote:

Remco32 wrote:

All that just for osu!, watching animu and browsing the web..?
Tl;dr Rokodo has 2 fuck off 30" screens, now think of how much constant power those 2 GPUs are going to need to deliver the bandwidth/power of which those 2 screens that run 2560x1600 24/7 requires.
Along side an overclocked i7 Bloomfield to 4Ghz and under load such as encoding requires the affinity of the process to not use 2 of the 8 cores.

Also consider the fact that he runs 12GB RAM plus DVD/SATA drives and the fact that if put under stress caused by underpowering without you noticing could cause longterm damage to any component, NOW take into consideration the cost that it would take to repair the components damaged by said underpowering.

What would you do? Buy a PSU that's guaranteed to be stable for god knows how long with a pretty future proof wattage that was on discount or a 850w that is likely to damage expensive components.

/discussion
JZavala_old
unless you're playing bf3 or something of that nature. you dont really need more than 1 graphics card to run two 30" screens. a 6700/560 can easily run both screens of that size and resolution for osu and any low end games.(say cod, l4d2 and the like)

i can tell you now corin, i have 8hdd's 2 optical drives 12gb ddr3 and 3 gpu's, AND an overclocked cpu(3.6-3.8ghz, and occasionally 4ghz), and i use no more than 700w furmark/bitcoin/gaming. idle is 260w.

i dont get why people think they need a massive power supplies when the hardware doesn't need it. maybe when i throw waterblocks on my two 5870's and overclock them i'll need more than 850w, but stock clocks, i dont.
ampzz
It is of peoples own accord as to how they wish to spend their own money, it doesn't affect you does it? \:D/
Remco32

JZavala wrote:

unless you're playing bf3 or something of that nature. you dont really need more than 1 graphics card to run two 30" screens. a 6700/560 can easily run both screens of that size and resolution for osu and any low end games.(say cod, l4d2 and the like)

i can tell you now corin, i have 8hdd's 2 optical drives 12gb ddr3 and 3 gpu's, AND an overclocked cpu(3.6-3.8ghz, and occasionally 4ghz), and i use no more than 700w furmark/bitcoin/gaming. idle is 260w.

i dont get why people think they need a massive power supplies when the hardware doesn't need it. maybe when i throw waterblocks on my two 5870's and overclock them i'll need more than 850w, but stock clocks, i dont.
Would you say an online powercalculator like this one would give the most accurate power-consumption of a build, opposed to the amount given on the site of the GPU?
JZavala_old

Remco32 wrote:

Would you say an online powercalculator like this one would give the most accurate power-consumption of a build, opposed to the amount given on the site of the GPU?

well considering that i just did my system, and it claims i need at least 900w for my system. and yet my kill-a-watt shows nothing near that with over the top power consumption of transcoding and bitcoin/folding/gaming. that site would be an extremely high guess for power consumption.

your best estimate for power use if you want, is other people really. look up a setup like what you want, and look up its power consumption. but remember this. all gpu's are suppsoed to use no more than 300w. as per pci-e/atx standards. ati's next gen 7970 uses around 190w per card. only the dual gpu cards by ati use around 300w. the 580 uses around 280w single card.
Corin

Remco32 wrote:

JZavala wrote:

My PC:

You were both saying?

Also this PC is a singlecore w/ an 8500 and 2.5GB RAM, js.
Rokodo
Answered honestly/realistically taking into account CPU overclocking, capacitor ageing @ 50% and 90% system load:

Kthxbai.

Also:
Rena-chan

Remco32 wrote:

Lolno, it's inaccurate as poot. It can give you a rough estimate, but nothing you can really use as compared to the amount stated by the manufacturers.

I would give you a real reading from a wattmeter, but I have yet to borrow such a thing.
Max

For the intrested people here is my full and detailed specs.
PC SPECS & GEAR
-Antec 1200 Full tower Case
-Intel Core i7 930 2.88Ghz @ 4,0Ghz 2,23 Vcore (38c idle//75c on Load)
-Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler
-Asus Rampage iii Extreme LGA 1366 Motherboard
-2x MSI GTX 560 TI HAWK in SLI @ Stock speeds (950 Core 4200 memory) 33c & 31c idle 75c~ on load
-Corsair Dominator GT 3x2GB 1600Mhz 7-7-7-20 (stock)
-OCZ Agility SSD 60GB & Samsung 500GB 6400 rpm HDD for storage
-Power Flower 700W PSU (750Max)

-Razer DeathAdder Black Eddition Mice
-Wacom Bamboo Pen Tablet
-Steelseries g6v2 Mechanical keyboard (Black switches)
-Logitech Z 5500 Digital 5.1 Speaker setup

Doesn't sound right lol. Or maybe? i'm pretty sure i gave the correct information to calculate my estimated power usage.
Fabi
That page gives you a general idea but it's not accurate.
JZavala_old
well as i've posted mine before, i'll just link it now.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u100 ... eccy-1.png

the one on the left is my desktop. on a 850w psu.
Nekoroll
ITT: Post your desktop specs

Harumph.
Corin

Nekoroll wrote:

ITT: Post your desktop specs

Harumph.
There's a thread for that!
bagnz0r
PC maniacs.
ibavnoci
I especially love my curtains

mochi
pewpew

Kitsunemimi
So this is what I did while I was folding proteins for the first time with this laptop yesterday.

lol...
mathexpert
lol your laptop getting a bit too hot? xP

also, kirby ftw!!
Kitsunemimi

mathexpert9981 wrote:

lol your laptop getting a bit too hot? xP
viewtopic.php?p=1252087#p1252087

This was before I set it up on the game boxes though xD
Cristian
I need to buy a new computer ;_;
Kento726
Mm, I need more room on my desk lol.
Corin
wolfn

Kento726 wrote:

Why do you have two Wiis? o.o;
Corin

Wolfn wrote:

He's too cool for just one.
Remco32

Kento726 wrote:

So you like to pay more for branded stuff?
ampzz
He's doing it right though, using the Wiis as nothing more than a bookend.
Shellghost
As long as one of them has Monster Hunter Tri in them it's ok.
Soly
[attachment=1:5482d]derptop.jpg[/attachment:5482d]
[attachment=0:5482d]derptop2.jpg[/attachment:5482d]
My new fucking desk.
wolfn

Shellghost wrote:

As long as one of them has Monster Hunter Tri in them it's ok.
Brawl was my reason for getting a Wii.
Monster Hunter Tri was my reason for keeping it.
Ciria

BearBearBear~♥ :oops:
wolfn
That is the cutest fucking keybo--oh my god.
ampzz
Please tell me you actually set everything up like that 'just' for the picture... because if you seriously have your keyboard/mouse set-up like that, just wow and in before various joint pains in the future.

Pretty cute amount of plushies though, I'll give you that.
Kento726

A i s h a wrote:

Dooood that keyboard xD <3

Wolfn wrote:

Kento726 wrote:

I have one for running my games through HDD and the other is a legit one I got from Japan to play legit games through legit disks lol.
The main reason I got it was because I thought the other Wii was broken (turns out that it was my router causing a weird problem because it does the same thing on my new Wii) so now I have two. I mainly play Mario Kart Wii on the Japanese Wii and Monster Hunter on my HDD Wii :P

Edit: You guys should play MH3 with me some time ^^
F m L_old

A i s h a wrote:

beast setup
IppE
bagnz0r

IppE wrote:

You're doing it wrong.
IppE
well poot you, at least I tried.
0_o
Finally upgraded from a 2008 Macbook to something that can actually play games. Yay for playing TF2 at more than 800x600 resolution at >20fps!

Don't have speakers yet, but seeing as I pretty much always use my headphones and I have an iPod dock, I'll probably just end up getting something cheap at a thrift store.
show more