forum

Are tablets good for notetaking?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
massi4h
Hi guys, so Christmas is coming up and on my wishlist I'm wanting to get a tablet (pretty much for osu!).
I've been looking at the bamboo pen, fun pen and touch and connect cause they're all around the same price over here (New Zealand) [it would be great if I could get some help on the differences between these as well]
I'm also coming into my last year of university and thought, one of these tablets could be really good for notetaking in class, meaning I won't need to write in books anymore and I can just use tablet + laptop. Since these screens are pretty small, I was wondering if anyone had experience using it like this and if it felt just as natural as normally writing on paper?

Cheers.
Akazumix3
Sure , you can ! You can use a Journaldocument (.jnt) ! You can choose a color , it's just like the BG of a collageblock and when you can read your handwriting . Nothing stands in your way ! It's just a bit too bad when your computer will broke :P .. allways use an USB-stick :D !
knjiga
Well, it definitely could be used for that, but it probably wont be faster then typing unless you type really slow. If you want to take your notes on images and beside text use some simple drawings then yes, it would help you.
Kitsunemimi

knjiga wrote:

Well, it definitely could be used for that, but it probably wont be faster then typing unless you type really slow. If you want to take your notes on images and beside text use some simple drawings then yes, it would help you.
^ This is pretty true. I tend to write a lot slower than I type, so I usually stay away from writing notes. However, my chemistry teacher uses a tablet (plus projected display) to teach us, and she tends to really use it in a note-taking sort of way - as in writing down key points and drawings; the kind of thing that you wouldn't be able to do with a word document.
Topic Starter
massi4h
Thanks for the replies. Sorry for coming back late. I'm definitely going to get one now. The only problem is, I'm not sure which one I should get.
In NZ I can find these:
Bamboo Pen CTL-470: http://pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=KEY ... -Pen-only-
$113.85 NZD (87.07USD)
Bamboo Connect: http://www.pp.co.nz/products.php?pp_id=AA33086
$120NZD (91.78USD)
Bamboo Pen and Touch: http://pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=KEY ... lack-PC-Ma
$148.92NZD (113.89USD)
From what I know, the connect is just a newer version of the Bamboo Pen, so it'd probably be better to get it over the Pen. But I'm still looking at the Pen and Touch. I'm a Computer Science/Maths major university student, so I think either should be really good for random scribbles and working in maths, while I might find the Pen and Touch useful or interesting to play with on the Compsci side of things. Though it's an extra $30. I was mainly wanting to buy around the range not too far from $100NZD (76.48USD). What do you guys think?
And what are the main differences between both, I'm also a bit worried as P&Ts are pretty old now aren't they? They might be outdated in the hardware department?

Once again, thanks for all the help.
palion
should go touchscreen =[ like bikko
Nekoroll
I wouldn't worry about the hardware being outdated. Wacom is good with support and even though I may use a Wacom tablet that was first manufactured around 7 years ago, it is still in great, working shape. The drivers are still compatible even with Windows7 and it has served me very well.

If you are willing to spend more, I would consider the wireless Wacom tablets since the hassle of cords in a classroom environment may be a little annoying. However, if you're strapped for money, I would just get the cheaper Bamboo since you're only going to be taking notes and playing osu on it.

If you think you would make use of the scrolling, rotating, zooming in/out, etc of the Pen and Touch tablet, then by all means go for that one. When doing those things, I usually use my tablet pen or just my mouse since if I'm going to be using the tablet pen for drawing or writing, I'm going to keep my hand on that pen instead of setting it down in order to use my hand to scroll up or down a document or something.

It's just all about how you think YOU will be using it.

On a sidenote, I always just type my notes up since I type infinitely faster than I write. D: