forum

1st day on this game how am i doing? :S

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
_Jp_old
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5baNe4fQPE

let me know how im doing / how can i improve?

any reccomended ways to train to get better? :S
Wishy
Just play challenging stuff and BE PATIENT, getting good TAKES TIME and it's damn frustrating.
Topic Starter
_Jp_old

Wishy22 wrote:

Just play challenging stuff and BE PATIENT, getting good TAKES TIME and it's damn frustrating.
Yeah but i dont know what challenging is haha :D

atm im ATTEMPTING Dragonforce - Through the Fire and Flames [Easy] Sudden Death, Double Speed :S
Wishy
1- Don't play very old maps, try downloading the latest beatmap packs.

2- Don't play low diffs with mods, it's just useless.

3- If you are playing Easy/Normal diffs, try using Hard Rock, it may just help (this doesn't apply to Hard or Insane maps).

4- Always play songs you have trouble beating but CAN beat. And don't stay playing the same song over and over, playing a variety of maps will help you improve too. It's quite normal that you go today, play a map 10 times and fail all of them, then tomorrow you wake up, say "Time to play osu!", try that map you failed the day before a thousand times and beat it in the first try.

(Just opinions)

And about setting: If you are playing mouse I'd recommend you to play using z+x instead of mouse clicks (disable mouse clicks from Options --> Input just so you don't click accidentaly).
Espionage724

Wishy22 wrote:

4- Always play songs you have trouble beating but CAN beat. And don't stay playing the same song over and over, playing a variety of maps will help you improve too. It's quite normal that you go today, play a map 10 times and fail all of them, then tomorrow you wake up, say "Time to play osu!", try that map you failed the day before a thousand times and beat it in the first try.
Reminds me of that song I played 573 times before I finally passed it :p (not all in one day of course, that'd be insane lol).

That second part happened to me quite a few times lol. After I passed it I'd just think "how did I do that?" But then the next time I go to do it, it'll be impossible...

But yea, as it was mentioned, just practice, keep playing, find favorite songs you enjoy, and you'll be pro in no time :p, I find it kinda interesting watching myself improve and watching myself beat my old scores on songs and etc.
Slip
Some stuff u can try:
1) in the options,try changing click combinations (I switched to e and r and im already streaming at over 200 bpm!)
2) if mouse precision is on,Try it off for about 30 mins or so (kinda useless of easier maps but on harder maps its more needed)
3)It looks like u got that spinning down ;)
4)Mods,Mods,Mods. (Hardrock for reaction speed) (hidden for improving perception) (doubletime on really hard maps to test skills) (sudden death is somewhat useless) (flashlight is FOR ME useless)
5)Use a skin (or make a custom one) Using a skin (most of the time) makes the game more playable I noticed ur using a skin already (but I reccomend xiao's skins cause they're the boss! (especially nexus or xi-style-g2)
6)Watch other high level players (if u use mouse doomsday and silvia) (for tablet cookiezi and gecko)
7)message me if u need help,im not the best player but i know my stuff :)
Some of these might aren't for everyone!
8)Play hard maps as much as possible (a.m.a.p)
9)look at 4
10)ON SHORT SLIDERS (----) or (------) dont move the mouse!
Disclaimer:If it doesn't work then dont get mad at me because I'm just trying to help!
Section 2:Maps to play!
Part 1:Stream maps
Chipscape! (http://osu.ppy.sh/s/27752)
Stream compilation (http://osu.ppy.sh/s/25403)
Part 2: Jump maps!
Jump compilation (http://osu.ppy.sh/s/27470)
I'm gonna stop here because my post is starting to seem like a whole new thread,Good luck with the rest of ur game!
silmarilen
telling someone who started playing today to try chipscape LOL

you arent doing too bad for a first day, i remember i couldnt beat anything when i started :)
Slip

silmarilen wrote:

telling someone who started playing today to try chipscape LOL

you arent doing too bad for a first day, i remember i couldnt beat anything when i started :)
IKR,The greatest idea of history! :) (but seriously I kinda got carried away)
Wishy
Most of the stuff Slip said is stupid tbh, just try that Precision thing, (disable cursor acceleration from your Windows CP). Don't really go playing mods until you can easily play insanes, just play and you'll get good soon enough if you do it right.
Raging Bull
Just play maps you seem comfortable with, then try out higher difficulty or add hard rock/DT mod. Don't really try and do Shinsekai stream or Gold Dust jumps on your first week yet imo. Once you can play lots of insanes well, try \nd start playing some insanes that focus on streams or jumps
mathexpert
wow, much better than my first day when I started. lol, serves me right for not playing the tutorial :o
basically, practice. I don't suggest any mods that alter difficulty at all, until you can FC hard songs.
SapphireGhost
You should try out the Meg & Dia series of maps. Each map has a full difficulty spread and in general, I'd say they're on the easier side of maps, so good for starting out. Great songs and great mapper. I also endorse this series of maps far too much but it's for a good reason, really.

RandomJibberish also makes maps that one would probably consider to be easier than most, so go ahead and check those out too. Slider design is really delicious, too.

There are also other people that I'm too lazy to list right now but those are what I think of when I might be trying to introduce this game to someone. A word of advice is to not go directly for the very hardest maps. Give yourself some time to get to the point where you can play them without completely failing, and that will be more productive than going down the eternal tunnel of suck. I think that's it.

So yeah.
Lybydose
Play Insane/Hard difficulties only.

I'm serious.
lolcubes
You should play Hards I think.
When I was new, I was playing one Hard diff on a certain song (you can see which one from my profile, it's obvious haha) until I beat it. It took me quite a few days to do that, but in the end it paid off.
After you get used to the speed of the maps, try full comboing it, instead of just passing it. But if you get an occasional miss, it's okay I guess.
At this point move to some Insanes.

Just saying what I did, when I was new.
Backfire
Play taiko.
Espionage724

lolcubes wrote:

You should play Hards I think.
When I was new, I was playing one Hard diff on a certain song (you can see which one from my profile, it's obvious haha) until I beat it. It took me quite a few days to do that, but in the end it paid off.
it does pay off :p, I, for some reason, felt it needed to make my objective to beat Hard and Insane on 1 particular beatmap (not even sure why, that song isn't even a particular favorite of mine either lol). Out of all those plays, I beat Hard maybe 40 times, and Insane near 70 times or so, after failing the first 500+ times...

Most Played Beatmaps

643 plays - Kawano Marina - Morning Arch (TV Size) [Insane]
554 plays - Kawano Marina - Morning Arch (TV Size) [Hard]
185 plays - Hyadain - Hyadain no Joujou Yuujou (TV Size) [Insane]