A Storyboard (SB) is a custom-made 640x480 animated background that accompanies a beatmap, often for decorative and sometimes for gameplay purposes. A storyboard can be comprised of just about anything, but usually consist of a set of visual effects designed to make a map more aesthetically pleasing and distinctive to users. Storyboards are inspired from the animated backgrounds from osu!'s inspiration, Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan. Like their inspiration, Storyboards are able to adjust to the player's performance in the game and display different things depending on how well the player is doing.
Storyboards are often very difficult to make and require considerable time and expertise in standard animation and in the creation of graphics.
Creating a storyboard
The Storyboard Editor (SBE) is located in the Design Tab (keyboard shortcut F2) in the Beatmap Editor. Fundamentally, the SBE offers users an easy way to control the movement of simple sprites, but is often regarded as clunky and unusable for anything beyond the most basic of storyboards.
Users skilled in storyboard creation often use the backend code created by the SBE, entitled Storyboard Scripting (SBS) instead, as it affords them more control. See that article for details.
With the advent of the Storyboard Editor to create simple graphical effects in Beatmaps, the full list of Ranked Beatmaps with storyboards is rather long. Therefore, this page only lists those Beatmaps who have “full” storyboards. If you want more, go to the full maps list.
- Suzuta Miyako - one's future (Full Ver.)
- Queen - Don't Stop Me Now
- minmin - O.M.E.N.
- IOSYS feat. 3L - Miracle-Hinacle
- Kagamine Len - Tori no Uta
- sampling masters MEGA - Chat! Chat! Chat!
- The O.C. Supertones - I Can Be Your Friend
- The Charlie Daniels Band - The Devil Went Down to Georgia
- doriko feat. Hatsune Miku - Paradise Cage
- Oratorio The World God Only Knows - God only knows
- Kagamine Rin - Meltdown
- ave;new feat. Avenew Project - Lovely Angel!!
- SENTIVE - Don't Lose Luck (Short ver.)
- Girls Dead Monster - Ichiban no Takaramono ~Yui final ver.~
- Kawada Mami - INITIATIVE
- Rita - Alicemagic (Blasterhead Remix)
- Hatsune Miku - Gizen Seigi
- fripSide - Hesitation Snow
- P!nk - Get the Party Started
- They Might Be Giants - Can't Keep Johnny Down
- Lia - Life is like a Melody -short ver.-
- IOSYS - Danzai Yamaxanadu
Songs Which Change the Gameplay
Other good SB's can be found here.