forum

Changing Usernames

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
peppy
Due to popular request, I have added a facility to allow changing usernames. There seem to be a lot of people that sign up with a username they aren't happy with, so it is now possible to change your name once. You do have to have an osu! supporter tag, but this limitation may be removed at a later stage. More details available here.

Enjoy and don't abuse.
sp1ky
Sanityedit: Nice one
ztrot
This is a very nice feature!
Topic Starter
peppy
Before anyone thinks otherwise, if you use this for "fun" and change your name to something stupid, I will not give you a second chance.
braian5234
Great! 8-)
WhoAteFred
It only took half an hour for people to abuse this. I'd be disappointed, but I am used to this.
Pokebis
I miss it already. :cry:
Cuddlebun
good thing I work fast 8)
Topic Starter
peppy
Now less prone to stupid people trolling others with links.
Crakila
Sweet!

@sp1ky change to IronE :P
Derekku
A couple of questions:

1) Will the user's old name be unobtainable?
-Example: Todesengal changed her name to Cuddlebun. Will someone else be able to grab Todesengal?

2) If #1 makes the old name unobtainable, could Search be modified to redirect to the new user's name?
-Example: I search "Todesengal" and it takes me to Cuddlebun's page. (Essentially tying the old name to the account)

Wait, nevermind. http://osu.ppy.sh/u/osu_cn_yaya :V
Topic Starter
peppy

Derekku wrote:

A couple of questions:

1) Will the user's old name be unobtainable?
-Example: Todesengal changed her name to Cuddlebun. Will someone else be able to grab Todesengal?

2) If #1 makes the old name unobtainable, could Search be modified to redirect to the new user's name?
-Example: I search "Todesengal" and it takes me to Cuddlebun's page. (Essentially tying the old name to the account)

Wait, nevermind. http://osu.ppy.sh/u/osu_cn_yaya :V
You bring up a good point...

For the time being the old username will be obtainable by others. If you are worried about this being a problem, then don't change your username yet. I may look at the possibility of reserving the old one at some point. I think most people who want to change their names won't be that attached to the old name (they shouldn't be if they are changing it) so apart from obvious impersonation attempts (which can be dealt with on an individual basis) I don't see there being too much harm the way it is.
Mashley
Thanks peppy <3
Krisom
It would be wise for the mappers who will change their names to add to the tags their old names when they map something new.
Shohei Ohtani
This is sexy.

I'll just wait until Justin becomes unpopular then I go "osht"
Takuma
sup
Neo Adonis
More nickname changes and I won't recognize anybody. D:
Andrea
Nice, nice.

But please people before changing the nickname take a minute :x
Zetta

Justin Bieber wrote:

This is sexy.

I'll just wait until Justin becomes unpopular then I go "osht"
Actually lol'd so damn hard CDFA.

Good show. Jolly good show.
orioncomet

Neo Adonis wrote:

More nickname changes and I won't recognize anybody. D:
GladiOol
Nobody will know who I am now.
Nharox

orioncomet wrote:

Wow, Sushi wasn't taken yet? Anyway, not sure if I like this new feature . It's okay if you want to remove some stupid numbers though.
Cheery

pandabun wrote:

sup
Takuma =o=!

aiii, ~__~
qlum
I will remain qlum, always and anywhere. ( except if they have the strange rule that usernames have to be 6 or more characters then I use Galggod or Wyrfex)
Takuma

Cheery wrote:

pandabun wrote:

sup
Takuma =o=!

aiii, ~__~
ay bay bay
Ekaru

Nharox wrote:

orioncomet wrote:

Wow, Sushi wasn't taken yet?
It was taken, but it was determined to be an abandoned account so it went bye-bye.
[DBF]

Nharox wrote:

It's okay if you want to remove some stupid numbers though.
awp

peppy wrote:

once
oh thank god

everyone who isn't memorable has a chance to be forgotten but does not have the means of causing gross confusion
DoraX
If I change my username, I still have to do My Map, Can I change "BEATMAP CREATOR"?

Spoken English *SO POOR*, sorry
KanbeKotori
old name:tq04t46
new name:KanbeKotori

Thanks!Nice feature :D
[DBF]

zhangze611 wrote:

If I change my username, I still have to do My Map, Can I change "BEATMAP CREATOR"?

I think no.
Mara
Finally I can change my nickname.

Thank you peppy.
DarkRingSystem
Good job
One chance is the best~
Kitsunemimi

LunaticMara wrote:

Finally I can change my nickname.

Thank you peppy.
NOOOO WHAT HAPPENED TO THE ⑨

TT_T_TT_TT_T_

...Sorry for that. Hopefully everything will be back to normal/stays the way it is sometime soon.
Derekku

zhangze611 wrote:

You will need to. Otherwise, when you go to update one of your maps, an error will come up saying that you're not the beatmap creator.

To fix this, you'll need to edit the creator field of each difficulty (either in the editor or by manually editing the .osu files in notepad). Then, while you're submitting, make sure that the "download location" matches your currently uploaded one. Whatever message you had in the text box should be there as well.

Example Submission and Beatmap Info

I'm not sure if this can be done easier, since I was a bit afraid that I'd mess something up when updating (and I don't have any other pending maps to test atm).
ekopret8ks

peppy wrote:

Before anyone thinks otherwise, if you use this for "fun" and change your name to something stupid, I will not give you a second chance.

oops
Topic Starter
peppy
If you have any pending maps, you will need to change them before submitting. Ranked maps will not have your new username until osz2 is implemented (which will mean they are fixed).
DoraX
Thank you very much....
Happy now....
:-)
K2J
Am I supposed to be allowed to change? I'm not a subscriber at the moment, though I once was.
Derekku

K2J wrote:

Am I supposed to be allowed to change? I'm not a subscriber at the moment, though I once was.
You must have donated once at any point in time.
K2J
Well, then.
Kurai

Ekaru wrote:

Nharox wrote:

Wow, Sushi wasn't taken yet?
It was taken, but it was determined to be an abandoned account so it went bye-bye.
I want to change my nickname in "Kurai", But There are a guy who have already this nick (http://osu.ppy.sh/u/47761 playcount : 0 | Joined: Nov 2, 2008)
Is that possible to delete this account ?
(If that possible for Sushi, Why not for me >.<)
Galkan
Same like above, niko8rs wanted to change for Niko, but he must of add "-" 'cause it's already taken by guy with zero playcount.

http://osu.ppy.sh/u/Niko
http://osu.ppy.sh/?p=profile&u=175141

Also it's a feature request: Couldn't those accounts (with zero pc) be auto-deleted after some time to allow others change their nick?
Zekira
So tempted to change to Zekira Drake, but then people I have abandoned will be able to hunt for me easier :<

...then again the name Zekira is rare anyway, I think I'm the only one using it lol.

Oh well.
KRZY

Ekaru wrote:

Is this possible?

If so, under what conditions?
Curisu
Oh……That's so crazy~
Topic Starter
peppy
Support for taking existing usernames that are no longer active will be available soon.
KRZY

peppy wrote:

Support for taking existing usernames that are no longer active will be available soon.
thank you, i really appreciate that XD
Kurai

DJ KRZY wrote:

peppy wrote:

thank you, i really appreciate that XD
Me too :3
Aoitenshi
Thanks! Formerly Known as Aoitenshi.
Aqua
I Love you Peppy! <3

Now i will stop flooding your pm box xD

I just have to wait till i can take the inactive "Aqua" :)
FurukawaPan
It makes sense to me that if an account registers and never plays/posts in the forum, that those sorts of accounts should auto purge after a certain time frame has passed. Aqua is one such example of an account that appears to have registered and done nothing (most of these are actually spambots anyway).

http://osu.ppy.sh/u/70230
Hyguys

peppy wrote:

like justin bieber also knows as CDFA
Lemon Water_old
I am formally known as Lemons In Your Eyes but I think no one cares.
Derekku

FurukawaPan wrote:

It makes sense to me that if an account registers and never plays/posts in the forum, that those sorts of accounts should auto purge after a certain time frame has passed.
This is what I thought as well. Perhaps a timeframe of two years (or even one year) would make sense, especially if the account has 0 beatmaps/0 posts/etc. Obviously there could be more lenience if the user has a higher playcount or such, but I digress...

Purging old accounts this way works too. :p
Esupanitix
Well thanks to this I thought the "new guy" named masher who was actually Agent Spin Here was Wojjan because of the excess trolling at one point
Cuddlebun
and here's weegee finding an excuse to baww, this thread's complete
Esupanitix
Alright cuddlebun, get back to ponyland
Infinity_old
omg.. change nick NICEEE
Pokebis

peppy wrote:

I don't like that idea.
And how is "no longer active" classified? I've seen quite a few people who put osu! down for quite a while, but eventually came back to it. I don't think that's fair to them, plus you could do some nasty things with it. Say I turned into MOOMANiBE, Saturos, or Sarumaru. Actually, they have recent site visits...
But still, I could hijack a recognizable person and mess with people, despite them being able to see I used to be Pokebis.
I think it's just a bad idea 100%.
show more