forum

CtB Gameplay Improvements [Added]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Ephemeral
Fruits is too goddamn easy (to FC, at least). Only maps with ridiculous spacing are ridiculous in difficulty and that honestly shouldn't be the case. So here's what I propose, the addition of a few game play elements that occur randomly based on the star difficulty of the map:

Mappers will also have the option to place these with a 'CtB special fruits' option in the editor. Special fruit beats will have a small grape icon in their top right graphic in the editor, but will appear normal in osu! play. Special fruits will only appear if the option is enabled, and they will only randomly appear if that option is enabled in it's stead.

All maps regardless of difficulty will possess at the bare minimum, two special fruit enabled combos if the option is enabled in the map.

Phase fruit
A rainbow-flashing random fruit which cannot be picked up unless the player is dashing. Also travels slower or faster than the current fruit stream, similar to taiko BPM changes which result in the lead up of notes. Only one fruit in a combo will be phased, normally the beginning note. Phase fruits will always be situated in large jumps from the main combo in order to assure dashing is used to hit them.
At 5.00 stars of difficulty, this fruit will occur at a 1/20 chance, lower end value increasing by 20 for every star of difficulty below it (1 star has a 1/100 chance)

Helix fruit
Harken to the name, the fruit moves in a helix-wave fashion while it glows and pulses to the BPM. These give marginally more points than ordinary fruits, but are also much harder as they require the user to predict their end location on the fly. If one fruit in a combo/stream of fruits is a helix fruit,the entire stream will be correlating helix fruit. Helix sliders operate on much larger curves than normal.
At 5.00 stars of difficulty, this fruit will occur at a 1/40 chance, lower end value increasing by 20 for every star of difficulty below it.

Chrono fruit
Aligns itself in a gentle floating motion at the top of the map, appearing completely out of sync with the other beats, before shaking momentarily then flying incredibly fast into it's rightful place in the upcoming section. Every second note of a combo will be affected if this is drawn. A quiet metronome tick will be heard when these fruits appear, and they will slowly pulse to the BPM with a grey/white/black glow for at least a second before they propel themselves into the map.
At 5.00 stars of difficulty, this fruit will occur at a 1/50 chance, with the lower end value increasing by 50 for every star of difficulty below it.

Cucumber
When picked up in a combo, the player will slide very slightly when coming out of dashes or moving at all in the direction they were moving, similar to a inertia effect. While under the influence of cucumber, the score multiplier will jump to 1.2x + combo. Enabled in the map via CtB special fruits and occurs on the first note of a designated combo and lasts for at least three combos therein. Cucumbers will be predisposed to be randomly placed at the faster parts of a song, but a maximum of two will occur in a map in this way.

Tomato
When picked up in a combo, ensuing slider tick fruit pieces will be much, much smaller. Score multiplier will jump to 1.05x + combo. Follows the same random placement rules as cucumber.

I can't think of any more viable ones. What do you guys think?
Ryuukun
Sorry, i don't liek this but i know what you mean.
I played CtB for 6 months and i could see the limit already.
Playing everything on FC got boring after a while.
So my solution was...
Quit CtB.

I tried to give CtB accuracy but a certain smartass mod closed it down.
I kinda have the feeling that CtB gets pretty much ignored here.

But @ idea.
I don't like the idea because this is not going to make CtB any harder.
It just takes more time to reach a higher level.
But not really much since you're used to such things as special fruits, very fast.
Gens
What is this, Catch the Beat DDR Version? >.>'

Anyway, I'd like these as more mods (Or multiplayer powerups), on a normal map would be too much.
I like CtB being simple, hopefully that won't change.
anonymous_old
I think you're looking for the 'mod.' FL, DT, Hidden, etc.
Sleep Powder
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
anonymous_old

animask wrote:

We need all beatmaps FCable on CTB...thats what we need...
Impossible jumps fail...
Report ranked maps physically impossible to FC. You should be able to FC any ranked map on osu! standard, CTB, or Taiko.
Dean
Emerald Sword (jumps near end), Chocobo, I Want You (jump near end), 1000 Phantasm, Sudden Death R99 are some examples of maps physically impossible to FC in CtB.
Sleep Powder

Dean7599 wrote:

Emerald Sword (jumps near end), Chocobo, I Want You (jump near end), 1000 Phantasm, Sudden Death R99 are some examples of maps physically impossible to FC in CtB.
Looks for list of them

Wild Eyes James Difficulty...
Shugo! Shugo! Pwnage Difficulty ( lols its mine )
Boku wa Koro no Iru Tieffs Sprint
Narcissist [Insane]
Nijiiro [Hard]
Black Rock Shooter [Nexy's Jumps]
Shotgun...oh wait thats approved...lolz
Flyaway (tales of) remix [animask's Crazy]

thats my list so far...
Kitsunemimi
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
peppy
So now a proposal: To make all songs passable I have two options.

1. Delete all scores on the specific maps, and change the generation algorithm to work correctly.
2. Add a new ability in CtB such as a faster movement speed or warp button that will make them passable in their current state.

Opinions?
rust45

peppy wrote:

1. Delete all scores on the specific maps, and change the generation algorithm to work correctly.
2. Add a new ability in CtB such as a faster movement speed or warp button that will make them passable in their current state.

Opinions?
Wouldn't the second require I reset of all scores though since no one had the ability?

I say 1 since it should only clear scores one the problem maps.
peppy
As long as the abilities aren't *less* that they were before, there is no need to do a full score reset. It may cause a bit of new competition on some maps though :)
Derekku
imo, I guess just reset the ones that are currently "impossible" and fix them.
Gens
anonymous_old
Move into a new thread? With a poll perhaps?

I vote for making the maps possible by adjusting the fruit generation stuffs. I guess just scale the map if a gap is too wide ...?
Gemi
I would prefer this one:

peppy wrote:

Sleep Powder

peppy wrote:

Opinions?
I like the second one.
I was thinking of something like that for CTB.
Ether option would be great though.
himydanny
i always give up playing the map which can't get full combos in Ctb.

Either opinion is OKEY! just hope this could be fixed soon. :(
Wojjan
For the impossible maps, I'd suggest that the CtB field wraps. ie, go all the way left, and end up right. Mention this in the CtB tutorial that is yet to be made. This way, a jump from all the way left to all the way right should be perfectly possible. Of course, it would mess up the system, but that's what you get for jumps in the first place.
Sleep Powder
Derekku
I've seen jumps though (can't remember specific maps) where they're in the middle-left or middle-right. The notes are 1/2 beats I guess and come so fast that you can't catch them even though they're not that far apart. @_@
Ekaru
2, since there wouldn't need to be a score reset for maps, especially when there was no warning of one coming. Plus, this way we wouldn't have to worry about missing some maps.

Either way works, though.
Yoshi348
Sleep Powder

Yoshi348 wrote:

I personally am against 2, given that I feel that the speed limit is a real part of the gameplay of CtB mode.
That doesn't explain how we can improve the gameplay when doing impossible jumps or anything.
bagnz0r
anonymous_old

BagnoGamer wrote:

Yeah... Then why so many maps physically impossible to FC are Ranked?
Because they can be FC'd in standard, but CTB is overlooked.
Sleep Powder

strager wrote:

BagnoGamer wrote:

That means you guys need to have ranking standards for CTB too...or allow some sort of function to do those impossible jumps.
Gemi

animask wrote:

strager wrote:

BagnoGamer wrote:

That means you guys need to have ranking standards for CTB too...or allow some sort of function to do those impossible jumps.
There is a discussion about this in another topic (sorry, couldn't find it now to give you a link) and peppy offered two possible solutions. I guess one of them will be implemented at some point. Until then you can just avoid those maps.
anonymous_old

Gemi wrote:

There is a discussion about this in another topic (sorry, couldn't find it now to give you a link) and peppy offered two possible solutions. I guess one of them will be implemented at some point. Until then you can just avoid those maps.
It's in this topic. ;P

peppy's post: viewtopic.php?p=176746#p176746
Gemi

strager wrote:

Gemi wrote:

It's in this topic. ;P

peppy's post: viewtopic.php?p=176746#p176746
Lol. :D
kideddie1501
oh...hahahahaha! :D
Sleep Powder
lol :)
Wojjan
I worked my wrapping Idea out a little, and I came up with the Pac-Man effect. When all the way at the left of the screen, you need to hold the left button for about 0.2 seconds longer (this is to avoid accidental wrapping) and your character will pass the border, like I have metioned. This, however will go a little slower than regular movement (about 80-90% will do) to make said jumps still a little challenging. If the jumps are at the minimum distance to be unable to FC it with the speed boost, you SHOULD be able to pull this off.

TL;DR: Go slower when wrapping. It works.
anonymous_old
Instead of changing the speed, add some imaginary pixels to lengthen the time it takes to warp.
deadbeat
mikhe

peppy wrote:

Opinions?
I like the second one, one button that it do x4 velocity (for example), better that reset all maps wich are really impossible... i think this is more fair, so much people play this maps, and they have tried it many times, delete it would be as disrespectful.

Bye :D

P.D: only 1 map that i know have a fruit out of screen (impossible -.-) and this map need a fix (http://osu.ppy.sh/p/beatmap?b=423&m=2)
peppy
mikhe

peppy wrote:

This has already been finalised and will be implemented mid-december.
ok, and which has been the solution?, I must remind you that not all the maps that seem impossible, are impossible ... some require skill or luck (for example the map "jump jump 2008", "Nobuo Uematsu - The Fierce Battle" (level omega), and others are very difficult but possible after all)

bye :D

P.D: if my english is bad.. sorry so much ;_;
Yoshi348
Oh, I'm pretty sure peppy knows EXACTLY what is possible and what is not, given that he programmed the exact speed of the character in the first place.
mikhe

peppy wrote:

This has already been finalised and will be implemented mid-december.
When exactly?
peppy
When it is.
Nazalion
Add some MULTI BPM like mania please ..
[CSGA]Ar3sgice
this isn't added :( what a pity
deadbeat
please don't bump 3 year old completed requests. if you want to request something new for CtB, please make a new thread.