forum

Are you getting a Direct3D error? Read this first

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
phill_old
This error should no longer occur. Praise JESUS!

Feel free to post if you still see an error relating to Direct3D or OpenGL
peppy
Its a pity about the system requirements being relatively high (2002+ graphics hardware) as osu! relies on Pixel Shader 1.1 for drawing sprites and such. I did consider this when starting development but really wasn't sure how badly this would affect how many people could run the game (all the private testers had no problem - even with relatively old ~1ghz machines).

Fixing this on a programmatic level is quite hard - it involves changing graphics libraries. While this is possible, I currently have a lot more drive to work on new features and getting the game as finished as possible.

If you are able to, try and find a second-hand DirectX 9 card (should work out *very* cheap these days). Its probably about time you upgraded if your card does not support DX9 features, anyway :)
[deleted user]
This is the exactly error is happening to me.

I am going to wait till Osu! support Geforce 4000 mx card.

Even if I am not playing because of this problem I thank you for making this program, pump ddr gh and others "musical" games already had a program to "emulate" them, just ouendan/eba(and a few others) there wasnt an option.

See Ya!
Green_Wolf_Dog
i'm getting this, but i think this is wat ur talking about:

Microsoft.Xna.Framework.NoSuitableGraphicsDeviceException: Could not find a Direct3D device that has a Direct3D9-level driver and supports pixel shader 1.1 or greater.
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.CheckForAvailableSupportedHardware()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.ChangeDevice(Boolean forceCreate)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.Microsoft.Xna.Framework.IGraphicsDeviceManager.CreateDevice()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Run()
at osu.Program.Main()

and i can't play at my mom's house and i won't be back at my dad's for another week (it's this whole divorce thing...) and now i'm sad like that picture of the broken vase on the floot with the arrow pointing to it... ;_; but the game is awesome!! my friend showed me this game and now i'm a higher rank than him and i've only been playing for about 2 days and he's been playing for about 2 weeks! >:D
Echo
Peppy, why don't you just handle that error with a nice(r) error message instead of just leaving it like this? That way you won't get so many people posting it in the bug reports forum.
peppy
2007-12-01
(*) Avatars are only loaded when full chat mode is visible. This seemed to be causing lag for some during gameplay.
(*) Error message made more friendly for graphics cards which don't support required shader model.

Always one step ahead ;)
[deleted user]
I have the listed card on that support list, yet I still get the

An error has occurred. Please report this in the forums along with any more information you can provide!

Your graphics card does not support Shader Model 1.1+.

Unfortunately, support is required to play osu!
Please upgrade your graphics card to something made after 2002 (that isn't a geforce mx model)
See the stickied thread in the 'Bug Reports' forum for further details.
awp

digiangel234 wrote:

I have the listed card on that support list
Could you specify which one?
[deleted user]
the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 82845
awp
Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV: Partial support, problems tilting

taken from: http://www.worldwindcentral.com/wiki/Vi ... patibility

The card you listed didn't seem to fall directly into one of the families listed in phill's post. It might be in the 950 or 3000, but I'm not sure, and it appears that this integrated graphics card might not be on that list. At any rate, the fact that it has only "partial support" leads me to believe that it's not going to support directx9 extensions.
Topic Starter
phill_old
awp is right. According to the Intel website it only supports DX7/8 and OpenGL 1.1. Sorry :(
Kai
If my graphic card is : ATI Radeon X550 and it says than fully microsoft DirectX9 support

how i can fix this?
Topic Starter
phill_old
You're getting a D3D error with an x550? What Operating System/Driver version/etc are you running?
Kai
MS Windows XP SP2 , Intel Pentium 4 CPU 1.5 GHz, (ill add the RAM too ) 767 Mb ,

ATI Radeon X550

Package version of drivers 8.241-060321a1-031959C-ATI

CATALYST® Version 06.4

Provider ATI Technologies Inc.

Version Controller 2D 6.14.10.6606

Route driver filer 2D
System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{F6A2178E-B789-43A4-890C-7B0A91D5E033}\0000

Direct 3D Vesion 6.14.10.0392

OpenGL Version 6.14.10.5757

CATALYST® Control Center Version 1.2.2271.39125

i hope this is enough info
Saturos
Didn't notice this earlier, but it seems the list of supported cards are cards that were specifically made for DirectX9, when infact all cards that that were made with DX10 in mind also support DX9. I brought this up mainly because I'm currently running with a 8800GT in XP SP2 32bit with no problems and was surprised to not see the 8 series mentioned.
Topic Starter
phill_old
It kind of goes without saying, don't you think? I have an 8800GTS 640mb myself.
chan
Peppy, I think a big blue hyperlink to this thread needs to be made in the error message. Seems like people don't bother to read their errors, as shown by this thread. Like, a really big and obvious hyperlink, possibly in capital letters and in bold and underlined.

Ditto for .NET Framework linking to http://osu.ppy.sh/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=576
peppy

chan wrote:

Peppy, I think a big blue hyperlink to this thread needs to be made in the error message. Seems like people don't bother to read their errors, as shown by this thread. Like, a really big and obvious hyperlink, possibly in capital letters and in bold and underlined.
Not sure if that will help. The error already tells them to get a new graphics card, yet they still post.

chan wrote:

Ditto for .NET Framework linking to http://osu.ppy.sh/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=576
The .net error is out of my control, unfortunately.
awp
I have an idea.

When you get the Direct3D/PixelShader/etc error, why not have the "it's ok peppy I know you're blah blah" button open this thread in a browser?
chan
Yup, that's exactly what I meant. Not what I said.
show more