forum

Thoughts on a DDR (Dance Dance Revolution) special mode [added]

posted
Total Posts

Should we implement a DDR (Dance Dance Revolution) Special Mode into osu?

Yes, this is a great idea
38.24%
Yes, but it will have to be presented just right
17.65%
Maybe, I'm cautious
20.59%
No, I really don't want osu! to become Stepmania or FFR
16.18%
No! never, never
7.35%
Total votes: 68
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +3
Topic Starter
Skyripper
I've been throwing the idea around with peppy to implement a DDR special mode into osu!
  1. If this idea becomes reality, what sort of features would this mode need to be successful?
  2. What can we do to avoid some of the mistakes made by Flash Flash Revolution and Stepmania?
  3. How do you think osu! mods will affect the DDR experience? Improve it? Destroy it?
Really, any thoughts at all on the matter (constructive ones), would be quite pleasant.

Cheers!
LuigiHann
This has been suggested before, I say the same thing every time: We should have one bemani-style "button mode" with possibly a variable number of buttons. I don't want to have a whole bunch of different game modes that are all basically the same, so it'd be best to get it right in one shot, and not base it so strictly on any one game
Rolled
I'm not entirely sure. One of the best things about osu! (and all of it's game modes) is that there is no other internet game of it's kind. At least not that I know of. When it comes to DDR, there's numerous PC-ports to the game which are done pretty well and I don't see much reason to compete with them. Flashflashrevolution is a good game, as is stepmania. osu! is an entirely different game than ddr and I couldn't really picture any way to simply port osu! maps into DDR-format, without having DDR-specific difficulties (in which case, you should go create a simfile for SM)

Though I do like FFR. Which is why my vote was for the third option. Peppy can do anything.
Topic Starter
Skyripper
It's not really to compete, it's to play songs that are in osu! in an osu! like environment with our osu! buddies.

I really don't want to compete

LuigiHann wrote:

This has been suggested before, I say the same thing every time: We should have one bemani-style "button mode" with possibly a variable number of buttons. I don't want to have a whole bunch of different game modes that are all basically the same, so it'd be best to get it right in one shot, and not base it so strictly on any one game
This is a good idea, we could take it in THAT direction with DDR along for the ride. I'm not opposed.
Techa_old
Be cool if it had a mode, that plays like guitaroo man.

here's a video, for an example - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHLGg-GS5Fc
CheeseWarlock
Is it going to work from the same .osu files? If so, and peppy (or anyone) can come up with a good algorithm for how to create the steps from the .osu, I'm cautiously optimistic. It would get us a broader userbase, but with it we'd have people complaining for the various features SM and DDR have. If it's going to require a system all of its own, I vote no. In either case, keep osu! (the main game) the focus of osu! (the community).

I don't think it would need anything terribly special to be implemented. A decent scoring system (possibly including more than three levels of scoring?...) and the overall basic gameplay features should suffice. Not much more than taiko and CtB.

And osu! is already avoiding SM/FFR's biggest downfall (from what I know of them): quality control.
Topic Starter
Skyripper
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Derekku
If it can be implemented without too much trouble, then sure, I'm all for it! I used to play stepmania all the time but the control is ugh. Plus we'd already have tons of songs from the current maps so there'd be no extra work for regular players.

+Support <3
awp
osu! would probably grow substantially by implementing this, drawing in a huge bemani crowd (is that what they're called?). Things would be rough for a little bit, but if osu! could benefit from it in the long run, I think it'd be worth it.

As for the generation of SMfiles from .osu files, it's probably not too difficult a task.
Xiao_old

Rolled wrote:

I'm not entirely sure. One of the best things about osu! (and all of it's game modes) is that there is no other internet game of it's kind. At least not that I know of.
I agree with Rolled. There are already ports that have been made, refined and already do their job. FFR does have quality control - they have a panel of judges that determine what gets into the game (even if the files still suck, but I'm not a judge so I don't care).

StepMania can't be compared to osu! in terms of quality control because it's not a single central community. Unlike osu! which has a single centralized and official community, StepMania doesn't. While SM does have an official forum, many many more unofficial ones exist (many of which are larger than the official forum anyway) where most of the elite players reside. Drawing a parallel there is pointless.

LuigiHann wrote:

We should have one bemani-style "button mode" with possibly a variable number of buttons.
As long as it isn't modelled after an actual Bemani game, this sounds feasible. There's already SM for DDR/PIU/PPPP, Lunatic Rave for IIDX/DJMax, O2Mania for O2Jam (even though it's not a Bemani game, that's not the point).

tl;dr - An osu! unique button smashing mode would be fine with me, but specifically something like DDR or IIDX would be completely pointless because there are already programs that do that, and do it better. In the case it's an original game, +1 support. Otherwise no.
Takuma
I thought of this too a little while back, haha. I like the idea. +1
FFR was bunches of fun, too bad the website got all this profile shit and started to become like Myspace. The community sucked BALLS too, which is one of the reasons why I left.
Nachy
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Takuma

LuigiHann wrote:

Yes.

hey guys we should have pippi as our little 3d dancer like the other ddr games
but we need an off button
Daru
Oh, god, yes please.

The only issue surrounding this that I can see is that DDR and osu! are very different, in that osu! requires only one input, while DDR, technically, can have 4. Osu beatmaps converted to DDR stepcharts would make for very easy stepcharts, since no jumps or hands would be there. I think something like the "addition" mods in Stepmania may be in order.
Topic Starter
Skyripper
Gabi
wait wait wait wait wait

do you mean inserting a special mode (like taiko and ctb) as DDR? if so I FULLY SUPPORT TO THE MAX WWWW
qlum
I'd prefer osu to stay a Ouendan based game and not a compilation of different rhythm games. so what next a rhythm heaven mode i know rhythm heaven has differed game modes
Ryuukun

qlum wrote:

I'd prefer osu to stay a Ouendan based game and not a compilation of different rhythm games. so what next a rhythm heaven mode i know rhythm heaven has differed game modes
osu is ouedan/taiko/catch the beat.
so its already 3 games in one.
I thought about asking for a DDR mode for a long time but never saw a chance of it to be actually approved.
It would be awesome though.
vytalibus
Guys, I think we're jumping on the gun here.

If ever we implement this mode, what benefits will it bring? I'm already seeing "we'll get more people to sign up!", but the problem is osu! has been quite unique in its gameplay. We will get a lot of people by doing this, but it'll be because they signed up for the DDR feature, which I honestly think hinders osu!'s gameplay.

It's more of a "this game has DDR, so it's cool" thing. It's almost stereotypical to think that adding a DDR-like mode will be good.
anonymous_old
I agree with vytail.

What's next, Frets on osu! Foo!
show more