forum

Play against Ghost

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +1,521
Topic Starter
Atmey
Like multiplayer against locally saved replays, and maybe extra features for osu!direct like your friend list top scores. Toggleable if its too distracting, like usual (tab).

SPOILER

theowest wrote:

mattyu007
Oooh just like Ouendan...
Niiice
0_o
now THIS would be awesome

100% support here
YoshiKart
I have something similar to this, but it's purely for beating your or others' scores. viewtopic.php?f=30&t=6301

And, I support this too. :P
Daru
Full support here. :)

Also, I think there should be an option to toggle between viewing the combo of the ghost, the accuracy of the ghost, or both.
adamskii_uk
Sounds a good idea. :)
AceOfArrows
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
ThePassingShadow
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
peppy

ThePassingShadow wrote:

Seems easy to implement. Just add a 'Play With Ghost' button above 'Watch Replay'.
Adding the button is simple. Adding the functionality isn't so ;).
ThePassingShadow

peppy wrote:

ThePassingShadow wrote:

Seems easy to implement. Just add a 'Play With Ghost' button above 'Watch Replay'.
Adding the button is simple. Adding the functionality isn't so ;).
Haha, I know it's a bit harder than just adding a button.

I wonder if a new user panel would emerge from this. Rather than 'Watching', it might say 'Ghosting'. Maybe a white panel with black text ?

Ex. Ghosting ThePassingShadow playing Brandy - Cross Time [Hard]
FurukawaPan
Haha that would be quite fun, trying to best one's self. The replay data is already there (as long as you remembered to SAVE it), anyway.

While we're at it, how about playing against a ghost of someone else online (like say, your official rival?) See, it would download that person's best ranked play for the particular song(if available). You could compete against anyone's replay, actually. :D

Bring it on Cyclone >:(
ThePassingShadow

james039 wrote:

Haha that would be quite fun, trying to best one's self. The replay data is already there (as long as you remembered to SAVE it), anyway.

While we're at it, how about playing against a ghost of someone else online (like say, your official rival?) See, it would download that person's best ranked play for the particular song(if available). You could compete against anyone's replay, actually. :D

Bring it on Cyclone >:(
Yes, this is what I mean. All top 40 replays should be ghost-playable.
gaph2000
I thought about this a while ago but decided not to post about it because I didn't see how it would work if you're ghost beats you to the beat... then wouldn't it just be playing with the hidden mod 'cept there's another cursor on screen, or am I missing something?
peppy
As far as I know people just want to see the mouse cursor or something. Apparently that makes it feel like they are playing against someone?
gaph2000
vytalibus
We can add something like a bar similar to DDR's "Magic Dance". The bar will measure the score and accuracy of the player and the ghost and compare them to each other. That way, the player will know if s/he does better than the ghost.

I'd suggest putting the bar on the right side of the screen: green part would be the player's while the gray part would be the ghost's.
0_o
Honestly, I would be fine with ghost matches behaving like a regular multiplayer match with 2 people; imo a "ghost cursor" in the background would just throw me off..
gaph2000

0_o wrote:

Honestly, I would be fine with ghost matches behaving like a regular multiplayer match with 2 people; imo a "ghost cursor" in the background would just throw me off..
That would be the obvious thing, but it's not really a "ghost" then. Just an interactive replay.
0_o

gaph2000 wrote:

0_o wrote:

That would be the obvious thing, but it's not really a "ghost" then. Just an interactive replay.
Good point :P

Well I guess if the ghost is subtle enough it could work, but it would have to be VERY subtle..

Though if "ghosting" is too much to implement, I would still like to see the "replay multiplayer"...
gaph2000
Topic Starter
Atmey
I meant the replay multilayer when I made this topic, but the ghosting thing seems cool too. :3

Download: Yousei Teikoku - Kokou no Sousei (Saten-san) [Medi's Hyper-insanity].osu
FurukawaPan
I was thinking make it look like the same layout as multiplayer (so you would see a 2nd score tallying up with the <300s> <100s> <50s> <x> all showing over the "ghost's" name. It would feel like you were in a multiplayer game, but your opponent is just a CPU following the replay you've selected.
ThePassingShadow

peppy wrote:

As far as I know people just want to see the mouse cursor or something. Apparently that makes it feel like they are playing against someone?
Yes, there is an element of that. In addition, it makes it easier to emulate that player's style and adapt to it.
LimeGreenTeknii
Support
Kiyobi_old
More support.

I wouldn't mind just seeing a little "tug of war" score bar on top. IMO, a ghost cursor would also throw me off.
Or just have it behave like it would any multiplayer game. Scoreboards and flashing timing notices, and all that.
Kitsunemimi
I'll bet it's be pretty distracting though. It's a great idea that we need, but I'd die because of it's distractedness.
rust45
Mashley

rust45 wrote:

I would like this but yes a ghost cursor would be annoying and when going against top 40s, you should be able to choose your mods since someone might want to try to beat a flashlight score with DT. And also the ghost cursor could help those with hidden on since then just look where the cursor went.
Nah, me thinks you should have to use the same mods. Otherwise you're not actually 'playing' against the replay.
This was cool in EBA and I'd like to see it implemented in osu!.
anonymous_old

rust45 wrote:

I would like this but yes a ghost cursor would be annoying and when going against top 40s, you should be able to choose your mods since someone might want to try to beat a flashlight score with DT. And also the ghost cursor could help those with hidden on since then just look where the cursor went.
So you can record yourself giving yourself hints in FL and Hidden.

Ouchies?
rust45
I was trying to point out yet another reason why the ghost cursor would be bad.
Azure_Kite
Kiyobi_old

Azure_Kyte wrote:

james039 wrote:

I was thinking make it look like the same layout as multiplayer (so you would see a 2nd score tallying up with the <300s> <100s> <50s> <x> all showing over the "ghost's" name. It would feel like you were in a multiplayer game, but your opponent is just a CPU following the replay you've selected.
In my opinion, this would be the obvious choice; I'd much prefer a multiplayerlike replay battle, rather than just a ghost mouse hovering every which way. Disturbia was off-putting enough, thankyou. If the ghost mouse was implemented, It would have to be subtle, like 30% of the players cursor, so that they don't get too distracted by it.

+1 Support
My support goes specifically to this.
Azure_Kite

Azure_Kyte wrote:

It would have to be subtle, like 30% of the players cursor, so that they don't get too distracted by it.
By that I meant alpha.
CaptainFlameGuy

Azure_Kyte wrote:

james039 wrote:

In my opinion, this would be the obvious choice; I'd much prefer a multiplayerlike replay battle, rather than just a ghost mouse hovering every which way. Disturbia was off-putting enough, thankyou. If the ghost mouse was implemented, It would have to be subtle, like 30% of the players cursor, so that they don't get too distracted by it.

+1 Support

+1 Support.

For both single and multiplayer please.

kthxbai
Azure_Kite
FurukawaPan

Azure_Kyte wrote:

If this were implemented in multiplayer, it'd have to follow the other player's cursors. Could you imagine up to 7 of these other ghost cursors moving around?

IMO ghosting should only appear in Single Player, mostly due to the fact that one cursor is enough of a distraction (or a guide, if you will)
Single player ghosting would be great if this feature was implemented (possibly a mod?).
I do believe he was referring to my suggestion in which case there would not be any cursors onscreen at all. It would visually look exactly the way multiplayer is now. You would see the 300/100/50/x show up off to the side over the username of the "ghost".
arien666
If this system works on OSU! taiko, lol.
Seems good idea! XD

Anyway...
Can we play against auto?
Then...
CaptainFlameGuy

Azure_Kyte wrote:

CaptainFlameGuy wrote:

+1 Support.

For both single and multiplayer please.

kthxbai
If this were implemented in multiplayer, it'd have to follow the other player's cursors. Could you imagine up to 7 of these other ghost cursors moving around?

IMO ghosting should only appear in Single Player, mostly due to the fact that one cursor is enough of a distraction (or a guide, if you will)
Single player ghosting would be great if this feature was implemented (possibly a mod?).
Hmm, I don't know. I never actually play multiplayer, and when I do it's only 1v1..
Lissette
I don't know if this has been suggested but would be cool play against ghost just like in the Ouendan (when the ghost is winning, the map shakes and the circles become smaller) that would be fun :)

james039 wrote:

Btw, I like this idea.....
Gemi
One way to do this would be how IIDX does it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15CVlshe3bg

Notice the gray, red and blue bars on the right side of the screen? The gray bar shows where your best score so far is. The red one fills the gray bar just like your score went up when you played that score. The blue bar next to it shows your current playing, so you can easily see if your current score is ahead or behind your old score at that exact spot where you are now in the map. So if the blue bar is higher than the red one in some point during the map then you are playing better than before, but if the blue bar is lower then you are doing worse.

There's some food for thought. (Not saying that this would be the best method, it's just an example)
Nakata Yuji
Sorry to bump this, but I support it.
Seeing as this hasn't been denied yet.
TheeAcey
I agree i think this has some legs on it.

+1 support
Bass
+1
Yingwu
Supporting!
Neo Adonis
Could I win to a ghost? Mmm... Sounds interesting

Support!!
MMzz
This isn't mariokart...
But I still like the idea.
DeletedUser_151115
a
[Sean]
I can see the usefulness of this idea:

Make it exactly like multiplayer, and just have the local score gaining points on the side at the same section you are on in that map, so you can see if you have improved on that part or not.

100% support. I always try and guess how much points I had by each break.
Yingwu
Something like battling against the #1 on the map (all modes).

And in the breaks you can see how much you are in front or behind him/her.
Ph0X
You guys realize that when you play, every time you move your mouse, you use visual feedback to adjust the speed of your mouse movement and everything.

Now, having a second cursor on the screen would be extremly confusing and you most likely wouldn't be able to play.
Even if the opacity or color changes, I still think it would be very confusing. Of course, the only way of really knowing it would be to actually try it, but here, try spectating something and playing with your own cursor at the same time, it's completely impossible.

And even if you managed to differentiate the two cursor, this isn't a rare, you wouldn't even be able to follow your own cursor at the speed some of these go.

I see a lot of people supporting this, but it's either me getting this completely wrong, or you guys don't realize how useless this it.
show more