forum

Taiko live/freestyle mapping utility

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Ephemeral
Please download RC4 asap if you are using previous versions of this utility - several major bugs have been fixed

RC4 download here:
http://puu.sh/WlC

This little utility enables players to create 'live' maps for both taiko and standard mode. 'Live' maps are created roughly by hand then improved upon at a later date, enabling mappers to quickly create intuitive mapsets as they play to map, instead of mapping to play.

Default keys are set to SDGJK - S and K are the 'rim' keys (blue) whilst D and J are the drum keys (red). Holding G down will create a spinner for the duration that you keep it down. Sliders are drawn if you hold any of the other keys together - holding both sets of keys down for either colour will create 'big' drum rolls and tapping both sets of keys will create big (finish) hitcircles too.

You can also set your own keys now.

Live maps are now saved to the song folder from which the presiding .osu is in - no more copying and pasting!

Known issues:
- Slider drawing is buggy and will require players to correct most sliders that this utility makes.
- Resnapping all notes and recalculating slider lengths is required due to snapping code not working properly yet
- Sliders will occasionally overlap with hitcircles during fast paced songs.
- Hitcircles will occasionally be drawn at the end of sliders
- No sounds in the mapper as of yet due to rendering issues with sliders - you'll just have to go off your keyboard tapping for the time being

This is still very much a work in progress. More to come.

Changelog
SPOILER
RC4:
  1. Made code .NET 2.0 compatible (removed 4.0 dependencies)
  2. Fixed unhandled exception upon .osu dialog cancel
  3. Fixed resume/pause button not working properly
  4. Forced selections of .osu files in order to import proper timing data for slider rendering
  5. Removed redundant resources to trim filesize
RC3:
  1. Added experimental slider rendering (quite inaccurate, you MUST recalculate and resnap every song now)
  2. Added spinner rendering
  3. Finish hitsounds are added upon double keypress of a respective color type

Old version:
SPOILER
http://puu.sh/xAk

This little utility will allow you to 'live' map songs in taiko mode - simply load the song you wish to map into it using the 'Load audio' menu function, then hit the button containing the song name and begin mapping!

S and K are the rim (blue) keys
D and J are the drum (red) keys

To save your map draft, simply pause (DO NOT CLICK THE STOP BUTTON UNLESS YOU WANT TO START FROM SCRATCH) then click the save button. A text file containing the .osu HitObjects data is saved in the directory where the program is situated - all you have to do is copy this from the text file and replace the appropriate section of your .osu file with it.

This utility does NOT snap to timing. You will need to do this yourself in the editor. Only simple clap/normal hitsounds are covered at the moment - double notes and sliders will be added later. In the meantime you will need to add these yourself. This utility is only intended to be used as a way of creating frameworks for taiko maps quickly, not to spit out maps in five minutes.

I will continue adding features if this utility actually becomes useful for people. It's pretty cool to play with though!

(The taiko faces don't do anything at the moment. I wasn't really ready to release this but I wanted to get people playing with it to decide if it's worth investing more effort into features)
Sakura
I've never mapped Taiko before, but this certainly gives me motivation to actually give it a try
Shino
Nice stuff, Ephemeral!
I hope this would be more useful to taiko mappers :)
Derekku
Sexyyyy. I'm inspired to map taiko now. 8-)
NatsumeRin
nice done.
i'm not skillful as before... though.
Zekira
YES

GOD YES

(though the common keys are actually df and jk not sd and jk)

Hopefully you'll prioritize custom key bindings feature
crystalsuicune
GOOD GOD ILU

This.Thiiis.
Zekira
Does this already support big notes?
Topic Starter
Ephemeral
No, not yet.

I'm completely rewriting the triggering code so that it supports multiple keypresses and 'roll' detection which should allow sliders/spinners to be made as well.

I may have to integrate collection of timing data from .osu files to get sliders to work, at which point I'd implement snapping in the program itself.

I also intend to add live map 'playback' so you can listen to your live map as it would sound ingame.
Zekira
What'll be your initial criteria for how it detects a series of inputs as a drumroll/denden though? If we're talking about Taiko-exclusive maps, a drumroll/denden of as short as 1/2 long is actually a legal move, and seeing as how it's actually difficult to live map a drumroll/denden that short (unless mashing happens, I guess), it might be a bit problematic.

You'll probably want to restrict the drumroll/dendens to be at least 1/1 short... anything shorter than that should probably be made in the osu!editor manually (unless of course you could think of a better way)
aquabluu
YES. FINALLY. Best update ever :D Makes things a whole lot easier than clicking the mouse, scrolling a bit, then clicking again.
anonymous_old
For drum rolls (sliders) and spinners, you could have separate keys which the mapper holds to create the drum roll or spinner.
Sakura

strager wrote:

For drum rolls (sliders) and spinners, you could have separate keys which the mapper holds to create the drum roll or spinner.
iirc drum rolls come from sliders, how would the program handle the sliders position and stuff on the grid, considering they have to be there as hitobjects to begin with so that they appear on taiko mode?
anonymous_old

Sakura Hana wrote:

strager wrote:

iirc drum rolls come from sliders, how would the program handle the sliders position and stuff on the grid, considering they have to be there as hitobjects to begin with so that they appear on taiko mode?
?

All that matters is slider length, which is easily calculated (assuming the slider velocity is known, but there's a standard for taiko so that won't be a problem).
Hyguys
luved this <3
the only problem is = bpm
EDIT: POST NUMBER 300
EDIT2: Broken ;-;
Zekira

strager wrote:

That seems to be a better way.
Topic Starter
Ephemeral
Next version will be coming in a fair while. I have to switch the entire backbone of the program to DirectInput (which I have never used before) and then figure out how slider velocity is calculated in Taiko mode, among other things.
omegaflo
Holy o.o
Maybe best thing ever, i only hope for customizable hotkeys =o (Playing with AZ for dons and OP for kats)
anonymous_old

Ephemeral wrote:

and then figure out how slider velocity is calculated in Taiko mode, among other things.
Same as in osu! standard? It's determined by length. The only problem is that auto re-snapping in the osu! editor doesn't snap slider ends (iirc), so they'll have to be resnapped manually. If this program supports it, though, snapping could be done automatically.
Azure_Kite
Ephemeral. how brilliant.
show more