Topic Starter
MathiasXII
Hey everyone !

Skin Information
[General]
Skin Name: Contease
Creator: MathiasXII
Theme: Ease of play, Simplicity
Version: 1.2 FINAL (as of March 14th 2012)
Tags: Contour Contrast Ease Simple
Download: Download Here!

[Data]
Size: 1.87MB
Is it fully skinned? No. Osu! Gameplay/menu only is skinned with some original graphics from the default skin (such as the sliderball and slider repeat). Taiko and CTB remained untouched.

[Misc]
Creator's comment: At first, I made this skin mainly to pass time, but as I added a little touch now and then to it, I started using it regularly to the extent it's the only skin I use.

So why would you want this skin ?

1. High contrast generally makes notes easier to see
  2. Completely Kiai proof (Kiai won't blind you/disorient you unless that particular beatmap uses skin customization)
  3. The countour of the hitnote has the color instead of the inside, leaving numbers and hitnotes clearly visible at all times.
  4. No Cursor tails (although you can have cool sparks by downloading it in optional graphics below which was the cursor tail initially).
  5. Score graphics are replaced by convenient tiny color coded stars (which are pretty and accompanied by star lightning). Bigger stars are available in the optional graphics below
  6. Health bar warns you with "!" only when you're going to have a section fail.
  7. Approach circles have been modified to fit the hitnote's contour EXACTLY when you're suppose to hit (rather than only touch it). This is by personal preference. + a little semi-transparent trail has been added to make it show a little more.
  8. Spinner has been simplified (removing useless graphics/reducing size of remaining ones) and made kiai proof as well.
  9. You aboslutely love the mix of color and black.
  10. You like menu sounds that are retro.
Updates: -
Requests: -

Change Log
1.1 :

1. Spinner is now balanced and completed.
  2. Hitnotes have been updated with cleaner graphics.
  3. Graphics have been smoothed down and polished overall.
  4. Added follow points.
  5. Compressed PNGs for minimal space requirements.
1.2 :

1. Tweaked the lifebar a little (Thanks Ziin)
  2. Song selection bars updated (Thanks Ziin)
  3. Realigned some of the graphics so they sit nicely
[box=Optional Graphics]Useful skin customization that won't alter the gameplay the skin tries to offer :
More readable fonts.
Clockwise spinner arrows

Skin customizations that may alter the gameplay that this skins tries to offer, but looks good :
Stars that are hitcircle size
Spark your kiai times/comboburts with this spark (cursor tail).

Streamers and rankers : You might enjoy having VERY LARGE stars for 100s and 50s to clearly know you've mistimed a hit. It might be distracting at first, but it helps on the long run.

Many thanks to ziin for all of his help about all the little details that makes this skin better :)!!!!!!

Many thanks also to everyone supporting this skin and leaving feedback ! =D ILU all !
Gonzvlo
Oh god, this skin :o

I like the idea of the "stars" instead of numbers. Everything is great, the spinner-circle could be a bit more centered tho.

I've been looking for a skin like this for a while, great job.
Pereira006
hooo
cool *-* nice skin
ziin

MathiasXII wrote:

The countour of the hitnote has the color instead of the inside, leaving numbers and hitnotes clearly visible at all times EXCEPT when the hit note color is black AND the background is comlpetely black... I'll have to find a workaround on this.
This would mean the approach circle is invisible as well, thus not rankable. I wouldn't worry about it.

As gonzvlo said, spinner isn't centered. IMO the default spinner circle (those two differently colored semi circles) is excellent because it tells you how fast you're going without seeing the rpm.

If you can work white/gray into the hitcircleoverlay, that would make things even easier to see. Adding a little depth to the approach circle also helps.

Finally, it would probably be better to have hitcircle completely flat, with the overlay adding any depth/highlights. Right now hitcircle isn't completely black, though I suppose you might want it that way. A radial gradient of black to dark gray would probably give a better effect.
Topic Starter
MathiasXII
Made some updates !!!

Shading of hitnotes still missing but I think I'll get help to get that done =).
Topic Starter
MathiasXII
Bump

Reupdate ! Added a very discreet color shading in hitcircle :).

ziin, I tried as you suggested (put some grey gradient in hitcircleoverlay), but then it didn't look right. I didn't like the small film it added on the hitnote, even with the lightest opacity... so yeah I want to keep the color in the hitcircle, but it does look a lot better than the default hitcircle shading.
ziin

I was saying that I didn't like the hitcircle being colored. It looks slightly off, and I think it looks better completely black. You can add the shading in the hitcircleoverlay where it won't get colorized. It's not so much a film as it is a highlight. However there's merit to coloring the hitcircle a bit too.

Add a spinner approach circle, otherwise it uses the default approach circle, but zoomed in and thus really ugly. Also, you can see what happens when you enlarge an image with a partial alpha channel on the edge. You get that ugly line. Make sure your always have a completely transparent border around all your images to avoid getting that ugly line when it gets enlarged.

The radial effect I was thinking of isn't working out.

A problem with maps that use map specific skins is that they work fine except for the combo color, which you have as a grayish. Now that the outer edge is sorta-white, a very light gray would work for both.
Topic Starter
MathiasXII

ziin wrote:

I was saying that I didn't like the hitcircle being colored. It looks slightly off, and I think it looks better completely black. You can add the shading in the hitcircleoverlay where it won't get colorized. It's not so much a film as it is a highlight. However there's merit to coloring the hitcircle a bit too.

Add a spinner approach circle, otherwise it uses the default approach circle, but zoomed in and thus really ugly. Also, you can see what happens when you enlarge an image with a partial alpha channel on the edge. You get that ugly line. Make sure your always have a completely transparent border around all your images to avoid getting that ugly line when it gets enlarged.

The radial effect I was thinking of isn't working out.

A problem with maps that use map specific skins is that they work fine except for the combo color, which you have as a grayish. Now that the outer edge is sorta-white, a very light gray would work for both.
Omg you made the hit circle look A LOT BETTER than I made it look when using some grey shading in hitcircleoverlay. Thank you thank you thank you !!!! ~ it does look better all black, I agree now =).

Alright I'll get to make a spinner approach circle ... and continue skinning

Thank you again ziin !!!! Rawr.
Topic Starter
MathiasXII
UPDATES:
  1. Now has custom menusounds and sectionpass/sectionfail graphics/sounds
  2. New healthbar that's prettier than the previous one...
  3. Song selection design...cheap for now, but plan on making it prettier
  4. Hitnotes graphics are now complete and will stay as they are!
TO DO:
  1. Make it look better I guess
Topic Starter
MathiasXII
Skin is done !!!!!! Now I welcome suggestions as to changes or things to make it prettier =).

IF YOU DO, PLEASE ALWAYS INCLUDE A GRAPHIC NAME OR ELEMENT OF MY SKIN TO MODIFY, IN OTHER WORDS, BE CONCRETE!!!

Example :

This skin needs to be cleaner <- This comment will be ignored

This skin sucks <- This comment will also be ignored

This skin to be cleaner, as X.png's graphics are too chunky and I'm not really fond of the idea of the fading borders <- This comment will be considered.

It's even better if you can provide me with examples of solutions :). Anyway enjoy !!!
Pereira006
i can´t download
because this http://puu.sh/1xCP
??????
Topic Starter
MathiasXII

Pereira006 wrote:

i can´t download
??????
LMAO !!! I'm so sorry it should work now =).
Lucky
This skin look awesome! Honestly, kudos on the fine job bro xD
Pereira006

MathiasXII wrote:

Pereira006 wrote:

i can´t download
??????
LMAO !!! I'm so sorry it should work now =).

WOOOWOO !!!

now it is better ! ^^

I love it

good joob

xD
Topic Starter
MathiasXII
Thank you Avionix and Pereira006 :).

And thank you ztrot for pointing out some graphics imperfections... all corrected and reuploaded yay ! But it's totally optional for those who just downloaded... it's only very precise esthetical matters :P.
Verdisphena

justsaying
Very nice skin
_Kiva
;D
awesome skin
gettin a higher score with this :P
Hanyuu
Hi some suggestions what i think of the skin :)
The numbers on the circles are too big i think and the hit stars too small.
Also the slider looks a bit transparent O.o it gets hard to see in some moments for me.
In the spinner the arrows go clockwise but i spin the other way :D

overall it looks very good
-----
Wow, Great job on the skin :)
Glad to know there's actually someone doing skins for usability.

But I'm not a fan of the font you used on the numbers for notes
I mean, It takes a relatively long time to figure out the note number compared to other skin
(like default skin or xi-style).
I often confused between number 3, 5 and among number 2, 4, 6 :o
or is this only a personal issue?
Nilsso
Good job, keep em coming!
show more