forum

Approach rate: 10

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Aquamarine
I have problem doing AR:10 songs. Sometimes I wonder if I lack the reaction. Any advice?
Zare
As always, practice.

However, there are not that many AR10 maps ranked, so you might want to change the AR of some maps to 10, save them as new diff and use those for practice.
jesse1412

Zarerion wrote:

As always, practice.
/thread
G0r
This brings up a question I haven't had answered. What AR is Hardrock?
Winshley

G0r wrote:

Multiply the original map's AR by ×1.4, and it's capped at AR10.

For convenience...
AR0 + HR = AR0
AR1 + HR = AR1.4
AR2 + HR = AR2.8
AR3 + HR = AR4.2
AR4 + HR = AR5.6
AR5 + HR = AR7
AR6 + HR = AR8.4
AR7 + HR = AR9.8
AR8 + HR = AR10
AR9 + HR = AR10
AR10 + HR = AR10
Mithos
Honestly all you can do is practice. Start by doing high ARs on songs you already know (change the speed in the editor) then branch off from there.
darkmiz
Use hard rock on hard diffs with no-fail mod and keep track of your local score. You will have bad accuracy at first. Keep playing the same songs for a month or two and you will see great improvement. When you get comfortable with the hard diffs you can move on to insanes with HR. This method also improves your cursor accuracy and jumping skills.
G0r

Winshley wrote:

G0r wrote:

Multiply the original map's AR by ×1.4, and it's capped at AR10.

For convenience...
AR0 + HR = AR0
AR1 + HR = AR1.4
AR2 + HR = AR2.8
AR3 + HR = AR4.2
AR4 + HR = AR5.6
AR5 + HR = AR7
AR6 + HR = AR8.4
AR7 + HR = AR9.8
AR8 + HR = AR10
AR9 + HR = AR10
AR10 + HR = AR10
Thank you! :D
Makiise_old
Sorry, but what is AR ? I don't understand a single thing here xD
silmarilen
approach rate, the speed at which the approach circles become smaller
winber1

Saph1 wrote:

I have problem doing AR:10 songs. Sometimes I wonder if I lack the reaction. Any advice?
This was how I felt like a year ago. I was like this is fking impossible, and then I see the rankings, and I'm like OMFG WTFAJSDLF;JASKLGJLKA FUCK LIFEFLKAJSDLFKJASLGA;LKAJ and I rage quit.

Well, I still kinda do the same thing, but it's a lot easier now. :S
Purple
Try paying attention to follow-points as they will become visible before the actual circles.
silmarilen
not when there is a new combo tho.
Tom69_old
Just play a lot high AR maps. You will become used to it after some time, it might take several months though.
Playing a lot of HardRock really helps there. :)
winber1

Purlpo wrote:

Try paying attention to follow-points as they will become visible before the actual circles.
Honestly, I have to say this is probably a bad idea. You should really just get reaction time. This can help sometimes, such as on slow sections/draining sections, but doing this on other parts of the map is much less efficient than just reacting to the approach rate. Also, if patterns start to overlap, it becomes impossible to understand where the follow points are leading to.
Sup A Noob
Practice, practice and more practice. I'm flabbergasted people still make threads about things which require practice. There really isn't something like a shortcut to getting better you know?

Also, I'd say it's easier to use peripheral vision to track the location of the next circle rather than using follow points to do the same. I never quite figured out how people manage to concentrate on both follow points and knowing when there is a new combo without fucking up on one of those aspects, if there are.

Or just play Can't Defeat Airman.
G0r
What gets me is that we see so many threads requesting help on "getting from x level to x level." This thread is a little less guilty than those; but, in fact, there have been a thousand threads about these subjects. I'm not complaining, though. I enjoy giving advice to people.
Aqo

winber1 wrote:

(on followpoints -) Honestly, I have to say this is probably a bad idea.
It's not entirely bad... you're correct that just having the reaction speed is good enough, but being able to react to followpoints can make reacting to sudden sv changes easier. It's most noticable on maps that really don't follow distance spacing at all, if you suddenly see a huge line of followpoints over the entire screen (and it doesn't start from a circle that's already visible) then you can know a new combo with a huge sv/spacing is incoming and you also know where the two potential circle starts for it are a moment earlier than they actually become visible for you.
G0r
I hardly ever superliminally notice followpoints, but I believe that they have a subliminal effect on my target finding.
Aqo

G0r wrote:

I hardly ever superliminally notice followpoints, but I believe that they have a subliminal effect on my target finding.
You don't really notice them until you start playing maps with fullscreen circlejumps

have fun
show more