forum

Approach rate: 10

posted
Total Posts
show more
Zare
As always, practice.

However, there are not that many AR10 maps ranked, so you might want to change the AR of some maps to 10, save them as new diff and use those for practice.
jesse1412

Zarerion wrote:

As always, practice.
/thread
G0r
This brings up a question I haven't had answered. What AR is Hardrock?
Winshley

G0r wrote:

Multiply the original map's AR by ×1.4, and it's capped at AR10.

For convenience...
AR0 + HR = AR0
AR1 + HR = AR1.4
AR2 + HR = AR2.8
AR3 + HR = AR4.2
AR4 + HR = AR5.6
AR5 + HR = AR7
AR6 + HR = AR8.4
AR7 + HR = AR9.8
AR8 + HR = AR10
AR9 + HR = AR10
AR10 + HR = AR10
Mithos
Honestly all you can do is practice. Start by doing high ARs on songs you already know (change the speed in the editor) then branch off from there.
darkmiz
Use hard rock on hard diffs with no-fail mod and keep track of your local score. You will have bad accuracy at first. Keep playing the same songs for a month or two and you will see great improvement. When you get comfortable with the hard diffs you can move on to insanes with HR. This method also improves your cursor accuracy and jumping skills.
G0r

Winshley wrote:

G0r wrote:

Multiply the original map's AR by ×1.4, and it's capped at AR10.

For convenience...
AR0 + HR = AR0
AR1 + HR = AR1.4
AR2 + HR = AR2.8
AR3 + HR = AR4.2
AR4 + HR = AR5.6
AR5 + HR = AR7
AR6 + HR = AR8.4
AR7 + HR = AR9.8
AR8 + HR = AR10
AR9 + HR = AR10
AR10 + HR = AR10
Thank you! :D
Makiise_old
Sorry, but what is AR ? I don't understand a single thing here xD
silmarilen
approach rate, the speed at which the approach circles become smaller
winber1

Saph1 wrote:

I have problem doing AR:10 songs. Sometimes I wonder if I lack the reaction. Any advice?
This was how I felt like a year ago. I was like this is fking impossible, and then I see the rankings, and I'm like OMFG WTFAJSDLF;JASKLGJLKA FUCK LIFEFLKAJSDLFKJASLGA;LKAJ and I rage quit.

Well, I still kinda do the same thing, but it's a lot easier now. :S
Purple
Try paying attention to follow-points as they will become visible before the actual circles.
silmarilen
not when there is a new combo tho.
Tom69_old
Just play a lot high AR maps. You will become used to it after some time, it might take several months though.
Playing a lot of HardRock really helps there. :)
winber1

Purlpo wrote:

Try paying attention to follow-points as they will become visible before the actual circles.
Honestly, I have to say this is probably a bad idea. You should really just get reaction time. This can help sometimes, such as on slow sections/draining sections, but doing this on other parts of the map is much less efficient than just reacting to the approach rate. Also, if patterns start to overlap, it becomes impossible to understand where the follow points are leading to.
Sup A Noob
Practice, practice and more practice. I'm flabbergasted people still make threads about things which require practice. There really isn't something like a shortcut to getting better you know?

Also, I'd say it's easier to use peripheral vision to track the location of the next circle rather than using follow points to do the same. I never quite figured out how people manage to concentrate on both follow points and knowing when there is a new combo without fucking up on one of those aspects, if there are.

Or just play Can't Defeat Airman.
G0r
What gets me is that we see so many threads requesting help on "getting from x level to x level." This thread is a little less guilty than those; but, in fact, there have been a thousand threads about these subjects. I'm not complaining, though. I enjoy giving advice to people.
Aqo

winber1 wrote:

(on followpoints -) Honestly, I have to say this is probably a bad idea.
It's not entirely bad... you're correct that just having the reaction speed is good enough, but being able to react to followpoints can make reacting to sudden sv changes easier. It's most noticable on maps that really don't follow distance spacing at all, if you suddenly see a huge line of followpoints over the entire screen (and it doesn't start from a circle that's already visible) then you can know a new combo with a huge sv/spacing is incoming and you also know where the two potential circle starts for it are a moment earlier than they actually become visible for you.
G0r
I hardly ever superliminally notice followpoints, but I believe that they have a subliminal effect on my target finding.
Aqo

G0r wrote:

I hardly ever superliminally notice followpoints, but I believe that they have a subliminal effect on my target finding.
You don't really notice them until you start playing maps with fullscreen circlejumps

have fun
silmarilen

Aqo wrote:

G0r wrote:

You don't really notice them until you start playing maps with fullscreen circlejumps

have fun
oh look its (probably) another unrankable piece of shit map
XGeneral2000

G0r wrote:

What gets me is that we see so many threads requesting help on "getting from x level to x level." This thread is a little less guilty than those; but, in fact, there have been a thousand threads about these subjects. I'm not complaining, though. I enjoy giving advice to people.
Probably because high-skill Top 40 replays for every map are readily available to everyone. Players, especially newer ones, are more driven to improve than have fun, which makes them overly conscious of their skill level and their rate of progress. I'm guessing that makes them somewhat impatient, and when they see that they're playing the same difficulty maps as last week, they feel like they're not getting better while everyone else is somehow moving from lol-plinking Normals to SS'ing Insanes in a couple weeks. Which leads them to think there's some kind of secret training regime everyone else knows about but isn't letting on.

Meanwhile, more experienced players don't really know how to help, since I think most people develop their own skills over a long period of time and many plays using techniques that are comfortable for them (with maybe a few pointers here and there, like turning off mouse acceleration and "get a tablet lol"). So they tell the OP in question how they play. Then everyone else does the same, and the thread turns into a "whose playstyle is better" argument while the OP quickly thanks everyone and ducks out forever.

tl;dr Practice
winber1
I never said people shouldn't use them. I'm just saying that don't train AR10 by looking at follow points. That isn't going to make AR10 easier. Yes I do use them, but it's rare, and as I said, it's usually for slower sections where I actually have time to look at them.

Also

Aqo wrote:

have fun
lol dat map.
Tom69_old
I completely deleted my followpoints a few months ago and didn't feel any difference. Except that they weren't annoying me anymore.

silmarilen wrote:

oh look its (probably) another unrankable piece of shit map
Thanks for the compliment. <3
G0r

XGeneral2000 wrote:

Meanwhile, more experienced players don't really know to help, since I think most people develop their own skills over a long period of time and many plays using techniques that are comfortable for them (with maybe a few pointers here and there, like turning off mouse acceleration and "get a tablet lol"). So they tell the OP in question how they play. Then everyone else does the same, and the thread turns into a "whose playstyle is better" argument while the OP quickly thanks everyone and ducks out forever.
Lol! This made me laugh pretty hard. I think that this is exactly what I've seen in every one of those threads. They ask this general question, everyone tries to help, then we all argue about the theory of certain playing techniques, and then the OP says, "K, thx, bye!" and we never see them again. XD

I think you're right about all of this. What I meant, though, is that I'd think that by now most of these people would just read the one thousand previous posts, with the exact same subject matter, to get their answers.
Purple
Ok, IDK what I was going for when I mentioned FollowPoints.

To get better at AR10 you have to practice it. But, practicing it can be kind of detrimental because your accuracy will be garbage. So you just have to tough it out. Keep practicing with NoFail. If your accuracy is up from your last play then you are getting better and you are making progress.

Eventually your brain is going to click and you will suddenly be able to do it..

Thats what I did, except I payed attention to followpoints to make practice a little bit easier. You don't need to though to effectively do AR10.

OH BTW, when you get good at AR10, you'll notice it is NOTHING compared to OD10. You will also get addicted to it and AR08 will become unbearably slow.

tl;dr Practice. Followpoints are training wheels. OD10 and AR08 are worse.
lolcubes
Followpoints are a double edged sword. They can be very useful, especially on some more unexpected spacing changes, but when you have a low spacing pattern all you see is a clusterfuck of dots or flowers, depending on the skin.
I still like them though, don't really play that much AR10 anyway.

Purlpo wrote:

Followpoints are training wheels. OD10 and AR08 are worse.
Actually, AR8 and OD10 is quite awesome to train your accuracy on. It's a bit too harsh maybe, so OD9 is a better choice, but it's not really a bad thing to play on at all. It's just a different kind of training, where you don't need physical strength or insane reaction, just the finesse and technique to succeed. This helps in coordination as well, where certain jumps and patterns just occur naturally to you (and yes lots of 4+4 or 4+2 short stream combinations too).
Purple

lolcubes wrote:

Purlpo wrote:

Followpoints are training wheels. OD10 and AR08 are worse.
Actually, AR8 and OD10 is quite awesome to train your accuracy on. It's a bit too harsh maybe, so OD9 is a better choice, but it's not really a bad thing to play on at all. It's just a different kind of training, where you don't need physical strength or insane reaction, just the finesse and technique to succeed. This helps in coordination as well, where certain jumps and patterns just occur naturally to you (and yes lots of 4+4 or 4+2 short stream combinations too).
I understand. I play OD10 somewhat frequently to improve at it. It is still a horrible thing though. From my experience, getting a 3% improvement on OD10 over a month is quite an accomplishment.

PS. I forgot to mention; play with the background dimmed all the way down or, if you are feeling naughty, delete the background so you have a black screen instead. It helps a lot.
darkmiz

Purlpo wrote:

PS. I forgot to mention; play with the background dimmed all the way down or, if you are feeling naughty, delete the background so you have a black screen instead. It helps a lot.
Yes. Dimmed background (and no video) is a must for HR or HD.
Winshley
So I'm the one who's being a weirdo for memorizing all the notes' location for AR10 maps then? :P

This diff + HR is probably good for starters since it's quite easy to follow through... :roll:
Liut
Also i don't know why but when i took 1 month break and i came back i was able to read higher ar , like some insane with hr , when before i couldn't even do most of hard diffs+hr ...
so just take your times.
Wishy
Start by playing maps with a spacing big enough to get follow points appear between each hit. When you just start playing HR you will be using follow points for real for the first time in your osu! life, they really help A LOT when you just begin. You'll notice this after a few hours/days of practice, if you play any map where you don't really get follow points because the spacing is too small, you gonna have a lot of trouble reading the map.

It may take time to "warm up" your reading skills too, for example, I find it very hard to read AR 10 when I just start playing (since I'm not really active at all), but after a few minutes I can play it normally. So yeah if today you are doing GREAT after a practice and tomorrow you suck, it's normal.
jesse1412

Wishy22 wrote:

Start by playing maps with a spacing big enough to get follow points appear between each hit. When you just start playing HR you will be using follow points for real for the first time in your osu! life, they really help A LOT when you just begin. You'll notice this after a few hours/days of practice, if you play any map where you don't really get follow points because the spacing is too small, you gonna have a lot of trouble reading the map.

It may take time to "warm up" your reading skills too, for example, I find it very hard to read AR 10 when I just start playing (since I'm not really active at all), but after a few minutes I can play it normally. So yeah if today you are doing GREAT after a practice and tomorrow you suck, it's normal.
or you could remove the follow points and get used to actually playing the AR... follow points make the map appear at a lower AR if you use them correctly which is why I've started removing them.
G0r

Winshley wrote:

So I'm the one who's being a weirdo for memorizing all the notes' location for AR10 maps then? :P
I've only just begun to be able to HD HR maps with good accuracy, but for me it's not memorization. I can see the circles for sure as they come. You do begin to get super comfortable with the map after you play it fifty times trying to do it, and that obviously is when I get my best accuracy play throughs, but I believe that quick reactions to what I am seeing is more important to me with this mod than memorization. I always imagined that very high speed HR maps might have to be memorized, though. Some of the HR play that I've seen is so fast that I can't imagine myself doing it by sight yet. That might just be my inexperience, though. It always looks impossible until it's not.
darkmiz
All pros can do AR 10, it's pure reflex after practicing for a while.
Some people like cookiezi even read AR 11.
sCam
The only two AR10 songs I have practiced on is Airman, and a difficulty I slapped AR10 on YuYu Metal on. It's pretty fun. Try double time, and hardrock to get used to AR10. Or spam Nightcore mod on your fav songs ;3
silmarilen
AR8+DT is actually really close to AR10 for practice
CXu
Screw AR10 and streams, ok.
silmarilen
says the person that HR's every insane out there
JesusYamato
The holy grail of HR training is masterpiece
You can't be considered a hr player if you haven't fc'd masterpiece.
Masterpiece = baby's first hr, it's a initiation ritual.
CXu

silmarilen wrote:

says the person that HR's every insane out there
Who me? :?
show more