forum

osu! Release (b20120703)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
peppy
A few long-requested features and bug fixes around the place. Changes to chat colouring after the complaints of it being too grey. Limitations to usernames in IRC. Toggles for gameplay elements.

Things I think people will ask:

Q: Why can't I change my IRC name anymore??? This is stupid! Change it back!!!
A: People were abusing IRC connection name changes. You can still use a suffix on your osu! username if you wish. The number of people out there that use IRC connections is very low, and I did not see it wise to keep supporting fully customisable usernames considering the primary focus of osu!: a game, not an IRC server.

Q: I have to play a map once to disable stuff? This is stupid! I'm just gonna continue deleting files from my maps!!
A: This will be considered cheating in the near future (and at that point will be recorded). I would highly recommend you stop deleting files as it will save yourself the burden of downloading the missing files again when checks are properly implemented. If you disagree with having to play through the song once, please leave the community quietly, as I will not be budging from this standpoint (hell, I have already dropped most of my personal opinion on this issue to allow these toggles to exist).

Q: Do I need to download the stuff I deleted from map directories?
A: No, this will be handled for you in a future update. But please stop deleting things now.

Q: Chat colours still look stupid. I can't tell normal users from supporters.
A: Keep giving feedback on this. I will tweak further if there is more push for it.

Q: OMG I FOUND SOMETHIGN AWESOME
A: PM me; I'll give a prize to the first person who finds this :P. frans_niko wins

Q: Something isn't working
A: Report it here

Known issues (will be fixed soon):
* Usernames can get confused with IRC clients and osu! clients. Please relog if this happens.
Stefan

peppy wrote:

Q: OMG I FOUND SOMETHIGN AWESOME
A: PM me; I'll give a prize to the first person who finds this :P.
What this could be.. :p
Anyway, cool Update. o3o
[Luanny]
RIP < and > :( will be hard to get used to it..
and blue pms back <3333333333333333333333333333 (or purple, dunno o_o')
N A L U
Curious about the mysterious awesome update..(4th one)
Meru
Add support for customizing all single key shortcut in editor compose mode

Kay this is awsum 0w0)b
Valentiino
t/89424

Such a nice way to win =D
abirdinsky
only failed...
venxven95

peppy wrote:

Q: I have to play a map once to disable stuff? This is stupid! I'm just gonna continue deleting files from my maps!!
A: This will be considered cheating in the near future (and at that point will be recorded). I would highly recommend you stop deleting files as it will save yourself the burden of downloading the missing files again when checks are properly implemented. If you disagree with having to play through the song once, please leave the community quietly, as I will not be budging from this standpoint (hell, I have already dropped most of my personal opinion on this issue to allow these toggles to exist).
umm what does this mean?
Winshley
One question: will osu! (in future updates) prevent you from playing certain beatmap unless you have all beatmap elements? I don't want to get myself into trouble because I already have deleted blank OSB files and bundled Thumbs.db file out from my song folder (stopped doing so since that post of yours).
Topic Starter
peppy
It will restore files automatically once this is enforced.
akrolsmir
Nightcore mode :D. But it doesn't change the song preview, or forgo on already Nightcore'd songs...
Winshley

peppy wrote:

Now I can relax. *sigh of relief* ;)
Bobbias

peppy wrote:

I appreciate the toggles.

Why are you so adamant about forcing people to play with skins and storyboards, many of which are EXTREMELY distracting and otherwise hurt people's ability to play the game competitively?

My skin has semi-transparent hircircles, which blend in to bright backgrounds, making it much harder to read on anything but a black background. And many skins have large hitbursts, which obscure notes quite a bit, especially during streams. Forcing me to deal with either of those reduces my ability to play well on many maps. It could potentially keep me from being able to pass a map I could pass with the elements disabled.
Heiyami
I personally think that you should only have to play through a song once to ignore storyboards, skins, and hitsounds instead of playing through each individual map. If they're not to your taste and you've already played through the song to realize that, then you shouldn't have to play through all of the difficulties once to remove them from their respective maps, no?

A very nice batch, though. Thanks peppy!
Wooot
The New colours are awesome!
And i like the feature to dimm the backgrounds brightness, which makes map like this http://osu.ppy.sh/b/125991 playable for me, since i hate to delete backgrounds :)
Nice update again! :o
Natteke
I still don't get the logic behind all this "don't remove stuff from maps" and "play once to remove" thing. It seems to me all it does is wastes our time. People would just herpderp through the map (use auto?), get afk and then return and remove the stuff from maps and play normally.

Although if the purpose of this is time-wasting, then sure it'd work.
Winshley
If the background is meant to distract you, then face it anyway.
Topic Starter
peppy
It should be obvious (and already stated everywhere this discussion has ever taken place) but with the assumption you have been living under a shell and aren't being ignorant, and for verbosity I will provide an answer.

osu! is a game about community and creativity, so the idea is that you are playing the map as it was intended by the creator at least once. If you don't agree with how they shaped their map, you can either:

a) Delete it before passing it as they intended.
b) Accept with how they made it and enjoy it how it is.
c) Stick with it, pass once and then have it your own way.

If you disagree with how I have implemented this, then I suggest you just quit this game. Because I am not changing how this works any further.
deadbeat

Bobbias wrote:

peppy wrote:

I appreciate the toggles.

Why are you so adamant about forcing people to play with skins and storyboards, many of which are EXTREMELY distracting and otherwise hurt people's ability to play the game competitively?

My skin has semi-transparent hircircles, which blend in to bright backgrounds, making it much harder to read on anything but a black background. And many skins have large hitbursts, which obscure notes quite a bit, especially during streams. Forcing me to deal with either of those reduces my ability to play well on many maps. It could potentially keep me from being able to pass a map I could pass with the elements disabled.
I think its mainly cause its not fair on the mappers who put in time and effort into their maps and then have most people just delete it without even trying it once. and about your skin. thats YOUR choice, you don't have to use that skin, you chose to. so any effect on gameplay it has is your problem and no one elses.

also liking the new update. thanks for putting the blue pm names back in \:D/
Winshley
I would rather serve those distractions from beatmap elements as a challenge to play the said beatmap. Being able to pass/FC the said beatmap (to compete myself) is my way to have fun. Games are meant to waste your time anyway.

I (probably?) will never use such toggles and keep on playing as is, without removing beatmap elements at all.

Also, if you think the beatmap elements are distracting, you should consider playing an actual arcade rhythm game and see how distracting they are (and may cause your eyes to hurt even more because some has flashes), and how they actually wasted their time and money just to achieve best records possible. It's already a good thing for you that osu! is a free-to-play rhythm game, yet you still trying to make it your own way.
show more