forum

Established Advanced Difficulty?

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
cosmic
Idk it just feels like theres this weird space around ~2.15-2.5 stars that many people map and label as Advanced, pairing it with a lower to mid range Normal difficulty, and a mid to higher end Hard difficulty. Maybe officially make Advanced its own difficulty? I'm not really sure but a suggestion that sounds somewhat plausible to me. Thoughts?
o x
Each mapper is different and lots of times the difficulty isn't named by its star rating it's named with how difficult it is relative to the mapset. This won't change since players decide what they want to call their difficulties and since advanced can be any range of 2-4 stars you can't say what they named a difficulty is bad or wrong.
Topic Starter
cosmic

wwwww_ wrote:

Each mapper is different and lots of times the difficulty isn't named by its star rating it's named with how difficult it is relative to the mapset. This won't change since players decide what they want to call their difficulties and since advanced can be any range of 2-4 stars you can't say what they named a difficulty is bad or wrong.
Yeah I guess you're right, thanks for input
Edgar_Figaro
Although I am not against this we'd also need to establish what star rating "Light Insane" occurs at as well
Endaris
Difficulty names always express the usage of gameplay elements. Star rating is unable to determine the difficulty of maps by complexity. As such it would be nonsense to include new names based on star difficulty as these names are a way to break with the stigmatised difficulty names bound to SR and indicate the difficulties by usage of gameplay elements instead (similar to how difficulty naming works in Taiko).
Stefan
The term 'Advanced' comes originally from the SVDX, beatmani, whatever games where the difficulty level itself vary from game to game. As well, Advanced works well as custom difficulty name if the difficulty feels too hard for a casual Normal difficulty level but too simple as casual Hard difficulty level. The bigger issue is if we start to include a difficulty between Normal and Hard that would mean this sort of difficulty will be necessary for mapsets since you are not allowed to skip difficulties in-between (example: Easy, Hard, Insane mapset is not acceptable for ranking)

Of course it would lead to a change to the rule but I also fear it will cause more trouble than necessary. Because they are custom it leaves us more room to make a proper spread for mapsets, and we should only use them if necessary or if fitting.