forum

Beatmap Update File

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Daru
Basically, this is a file created by a modder that is loaded by the mapper, which displays changes to the map, comments, and priority of the change.

For modding, the mod enters a map, and changes things directly on the map. The modder can then save the changes as an "update" file. This update file (.oup or something) will contain the changes and other information for the mapper. When saving the update file, the mod will be given the opportunity to assign priority and add comments to a change in a note or set of notes, as well as general comments and suggestions. This information can also be used to automatically generate the standard "modding" post that mods currently have to manually write.

The mapper would then load the update file, and be automatically brought to each change. He or she can then "allow" or "ignore" a particular change. Comments and priority (Unrankable, strongly suggested, suggested, etc.) will be displayed once the mapper is brought to each change.

This system can be helpful for illustrating for the mapper what exactly is meant by a particular suggestion, eliminate the need for "Move notes to match this screenshot" suggestions, as well as aid in breaking down language barriers. It also streamlines the process of modding, with the mapper not having to switch between two windows while applying mods.

I made a similar suggestion earlier, about in-client modding, though this suggestion is different in that it features minimal changes to the current forum-based system, and would be easier to implement, requiring only the ability to read and write this new type of file, but retains many of the advantages from my earlier suggestion.
Shael_old
1+
Neruell

Daru wrote:

For modding, the mod can change things directly on a map, then save the changes as an "update" file.
The mapper would then load the update file, and be automatically brought to each change. He or she can then "allow" or "ignore" a particular change. Comments and priority (Unrankable, strongly suggested, suggested, etc.) can be added to each change as well. When saving the update file, the mod will be given the opportunity to assign priority and add comments to a change in a note or set of notes, and these will automatically generate the standard "modding" post that mods currently have to manually write, as well as save the update file.
I am not very familiar with modding and creating beatmaps but how do you want a mod to "update" a map and only after the mapper will "allow" or "ignore" this? Won't you need a separate server/storage file that is temporary for making beatmaps also making "copies" of it in case of "ignore"? At least I think that once you "update" a map the changes will stay and can't be redone (unless you manually change them back).
Starrodkirby86
What Daru is trying to say is that the modder will make the changes for the mapper already and save/upload it as a seperate "beatmap update" file (Let's just say it's .osup or something). So then the mapper downloads that .osup file, opens it on osu!, and then the mapper can decide whether to apply those changes into the map (through an allow/ignore system). I'd assume that osu! is able to detect any discrepancies between the original file and the .osup one, which is where the mapper can then decide to allow that change or ignore it.

He also requests that each change can be commented and prioritized (e.g. you NEED to change this to something else, etc.etc.etc.).

It does seem that it's temporary, yes, but you can simply store that in the song folder, can't you? :P Also, once an update has been made, you can always revert back to the latest uploaded version, in case you don't like it. :P

Essentially, this will remove the need to do the whole classic and long modding post telling the user what to do. This can be very helpful when someone says, "Replace slider with this [screenshot]" or something else. It's also helpful because this is able to break the language barrier, as sometimes foreigners can't understand certain mods very well (and vice versa). This seems to be a really big system though ~
Neruell
Well if it is possible to make in an easy and fluent way so that modders and mappers jobs will be way easier, sure is a very good suggestion.

+1 (Sorry no stars anymore :/ )
Topic Starter
Daru
Starrodkirby86 got the gist of it. :)

Yes, the file would be temporary, something that loads once to show you the possible changes that the modder suggests. You would download the file and open it in osu!, which will automatically open the indicated map in edit. From there, you can just delete it - if you ever need it again for reference, you can always download it again from the forums.
Cheer-no
This would be amazing if it were implemented! The problem in my eyes would be the huge amount of effort needed to make it in the first place, especially since normal modding gets the job done almost as efficiently...
akrolsmir
Daru, stop tempting us with awesome ideas that probably won't ever materialize.
theowest
Good idea.

I hope I'm always able to explain myself through text and pictures, just like we're always able to.
Kurokami
Nice idea. I hate to switch the window in every second. It's annoying. support \o/
TheVileOne
This idea has merit, fully support this as an .osz2 feature.