forum

[Archived] Blackscreen after closing osu!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Bphantom
Hey.

There's a TL;DR at the bottom for those who don't want to read the story.

Some time ago Windows 10 decided to release a big updated that also changed some UI elements of Windows, reactivated the tablet services etc.
That's when i started having input lags. Eventually after deactivating some stuff and enabling Compatibility Mode in Osu! i reduced the Input Lag down to a playable level (however it's still more than it was before the Windows Updated).

Either way, since i activated Compatibility Mode i SOMETIMES experience the problem that after closing Osu! i get a black screen. It's hard to explain but when closing the client the screen usually goes black for 1-2 seconds and then everything is fine. But sometimes the screen goes black for 1-2 seconds and then "the blackscreen" kind of changes to another "tone" of black, and it stays like that. I can't alt+tab, i can't open the task manager, i can't do anything. BUT, the computer itself does not freeze. I also play on Fullscreen, not sure if that might be related somehow.

TL;DR:

Since enabling Compatibility Mode SOMETIMES after closing the game, i get a blackscreen and can't do anything else except restart the Computer. The computer itself does not freeze tho. I play on Fullscreen if that is related somehow.

osu! version: 20161029.3 (latest)

Thanks in advance.
Adorn
You tried not playing on fullscreen?
edit: legitimate question
Bara-
Does it work fine when turning in to windowed mode before closing?
Topic Starter
Bphantom
Well since the problem occurs only occasionally i can't say for sure but i started and closed it a couple of times now and it never happend. But when disabling fullscreen mode i don't get those 1-2 seconds of blackscreen that i usually get after closing it either, so that's that.

Also, before i enabled Compatibility Mode i played fullscreen mode already and i never had that problem.
Adorn

Bphantom wrote:

Well since the problem occurs only occasionally i can't say for sure but i started and closed it a couple of times now and it never happend. But when disabling fullscreen mode i don't get those 1-2 seconds of blackscreen that i usually get after closing it either, so that's that.

Also, before i enabled Compatibility Mode i played fullscreen mode already and i never had that problem.
Can you not try disabling fullscreen and doing the borderless option? Come back later and let us know if that fixes it.
Topic Starter
Bphantom
Correct me if i'm wrong but i think that Borderless also causes some input latency?
Adorn

Bphantom wrote:

Correct me if i'm wrong but i think that Borderless also causes some input latency?
Is windowed something you just cannot get into? It sounds like that's what you're gonna have to do, but I could be wrong. I'm not very good at troubleshooting osu!.
Topic Starter
Bphantom
Well the main reason i'm not playing borderless fullscreen is because i've read somewhere that borderless in general does actually cause input latency. If i recall correctly there was even a comparision video in Slow-Mo (not of Osu! tho), showing it.

Windowed would mean that i'd have to play on a lower resolution (which i used to do in the past), but since i play with a really small active area, i really like the bigger circles of the fullscreen, if that makes any sense to you.
Adorn

Bphantom wrote:

Well the main reason i'm not playing borderless fullscreen is because i've read somewhere that borderless in general does actually cause input latency. If i recall correctly there was even a comparision video in Slow-Mo (not of Osu! tho), showing it.

Windowed would mean that i'd have to play on a lower resolution (which i used to do in the past), but since i play with a really small active area, i really like the bigger circles of the fullscreen, if that makes any sense to you.
Makes total since to me as I play with a smaller area as well.
I'm unsure of what to say next, unfortunately, and as stated before I'm not 100% familiar with troubleshooting osu!. I'll see if I can dig up some stuff or even test some stuff out for you. Or we'll wait for someone else to figure it out! If I'm not able to help you, good luck! Your problem sounds very irritating and I hope it's resolved as soon as possible.
Topic Starter
Bphantom
I appreciate your help, no need to apologize.

It is somewhat irritating since i have to restart my computer every time that happens.
meii18
So closing osu! makes the screen black instantly as i can see. it's just a lag of your pc if i'm not wrong. i suggest to wait some minutes to see if the screen comes back to normal instead of restarting your pc in row.
Topic Starter
Bphantom
No it doesn't make the screen go black instantly. The "closing animation" that osu has gets displayed normally, then the screen goes black for maybe 1-2 secs and then i'm on my desktop (or whatever is open in the background). But sometimes instead of getting to the desktop, it changes to another "shade of black" and stays like that. I've tried leaving it like that for 30 mins and it didn't change anything. Again, the PC is not frozen, as i somehow managed to click on the sound symbol in the Bar and i heard the sounds when changing them.

It feels more like the graphicscard does not switch from the Fullscreen Osu! used back to Normal.
meii18
can you provide a screenshot if possible to see what's exactly the issue?
Topic Starter
Bphantom
It would be hard to do since my screen is black and i can't do anything, as described. I mean, since the PC is not frozen i might manage to do it in the background without seeing anything, but is it really necessary?
It's honestly a black screen with nothing on it. No cursor, nothing.
meii18
Seems like you have big issues with your pc if i'm not wrong. I guess you have to check what happened after you updated your pc.
You can check this page for more informations https://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/GL_Support_Issues.
Dntm8kmeeatu
I used to have this issue a while back and it was due to the graphics drivers I was using.

Make sure yours are properly installed and updated? and if possible, use different drivers?
Topic Starter
Bphantom

ByBy wrote:

Seems like you have big issues with your pc if i'm not wrong. I guess you have to check what happened after you updated your pc.
You can check this page for more informations https://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/GL_Support_Issues.
I really doubt that i have issues with my computer tbh. To me it seems like the problem is Osu! related. I could be wrong tho.

Dntm8kmeeatu wrote:

I used to have this issue a while back and it was due to the graphics drivers I was using.

Make sure yours are properly installed and updated? and if possible, use different drivers?
This has been happening to me for over 1 month now. Over the span of that time i've already tried 3 different drivers, same problem with all 3 of them. I've got a fairly popular Graphicscard so i believe if it was driver or graphiccard related i wouldn't be the only one with this problem.

Edit:

I've got a R9 390.
Kao

Bphantom wrote:

Have you tried this?
Just because you think it'll cause lag, doesn't mean you shouldn't try it, it could fix your problem.
The lag problem comes after
This is known as troubleshooting, and seeing if certain events/settings could cause it or not

This might be relevant information to fixing your problem.
I suggest trying so.
Dntm8kmeeatu
I had a R9 290 with this issue, and the 390 series is basically a slightly boosted repacked 200 series card. AMD is known for shite Drivers.

Which drivers have you tried? I switched to the Crimson 15.11 and haven't had any problems since.
Topic Starter
Bphantom
@Kao

I'm sorry, i might didn't write it clear enough. I used to play on windowed Mode (+Letterboxing), and i did not have that Problem. On the other hand, i never played on windowed mode + compatibility Mode, so i can give it a try and see if the same thing happens. I'll report back as soon as i tested it enough to give a positive or negative answer. But even if it would fix my problem, i'd still (most likely) switch back to fullscreen, for the reason mentioned in my earlier post.

Dntm8kmeeatu wrote:

I had a R9 290 with this issue, and the 390 series is basically a slightly boosted repacked 200 series card. AMD is known for shite Drivers.

Which drivers have you tried? I switched to the Crimson 15.11 and haven't had any problems since.
Yeah i know that the 390 is basically the 290. But i didn't read any issues of the sort for both of the cards, + i tried 3 or so drivers so i thought it wouldn't be the graphic card afterall. The 15.11 isn't a driver tho, is it? That's just the version of the crimson software. Your graphics driver have a longer version(name). For example right now i'm using the Driver 16.40.2311 (which is the newest). I've tried both the driver that was older than this, and the one before aswell.
show more