forum

[Archived] Consistent Frame Drops

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Ciel
Currently, the game seems to suffer from consistent frame drops on regular intervals. I'm inclined to believe this is an issue with the game rather than my computer, as playing other games does not result in frame drops nearly as much. This issue also seems to persist throughout different release streams, and using the reduce dropped frames option only exacerbates the problem.

This screenshot is taken from the stable release stream.

And this one from cutting edge.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

(Both of these screenshots are taken with the FPS limiter at 120 fps)

osu! version: 20160521.2cuttingedge
Frolski

Frolski wrote:

Causes of lag spikes:

1. overheating, high core/PC temperature:

- not properly set cooler;
- old thermal grease;

2. programs working in the background:

- antivirus;
- live drivers updates;
- other programs coming with drivers for your PC;
- recently installed programs;

3. old graphic/PC drivers

4. resolution in osu!

5. osu! version

How to avoid lag spikes:

1. Make sure your PC is not overheating.
2. Make sure you turned off every unnecessary program working in background, also it's highly recommended to turn off your antivirus, or even uninstall it.
3. Make sure your drivers are up to date.
4. Try switching to fullscreen and different resolutions.
5. Try switching to different version of osu!
also set no fps cap
Topic Starter
Ciel

Frolski wrote:

Frolski wrote:

How to avoid lag spikes:

1. Make sure your PC is not overheating. PC is most definitely not overheating
2. Make sure you turned off every unnecessary program working in background, also it's highly recommended to turn off your antivirus, or even uninstall it. First of all, I'm not uninstalling my antivirus. That's beyond dumb. Secondly, I'm pretty sure that it is osu specific, as every other game I play (most far more intensive than osu) does not suffer from frame drops. (They just suffer from lower fps).
3. Make sure your drivers are up to date. I only noticed the problem immediately after updating my drivers, funnily enough
4. Try switching to fullscreen and different resolutions. Already tested. I can post my results if needed, but it continues to have the periodic spike in the fps graph, which coincides with the frame drops.
5. Try switching to different version of osu! Did that before this post. Tried stable (latest)/beta/cutting-edge
also set no fps cap This just makes the problem even worse actually, which is why I play with an fps cap instead.
Frolski
Downgrade your drivers, then.

It really depends on pc and problems single person got, but these points are most popular causes of lag and freezes.
Dntm8kmeeatu
Just a shot in the dark, Do you have multiple desktop backgrounds set to change every so often?
TheVileOne
Swap buffer spikes can be caused by a variety of things. Graphics card is certainly the biggest contributor to framerate issues. I used to get bad swap buffer spikes in the editor until I upgraded drivers and everything was well again.