forum

[Archived] Lag Spikes on slider generation

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Nakano Itsuki
This problem has been around for a while already, though now it's gotten to the point where it's really pissing me off by its frequency...

Anyway, the problem is about lag spikes.

Not only does the game get a lag spike on 1/4 kickslider spam as usual, since my laptop isnt really the best; but the problem with it is that every now and then, whenever the game draws the first slider, let it be a 1/1 long slider, 1/2 short slider or a single 1/4 kickslider, I still get a lag spike.

After a while of playing, the lag spike appears approximately 1/1 timeline length before the slider is meant to be hit. Also, it doesn't happen on every map; sometimes the map goes through without a single slider lag spike; sometimes it lags on the first slider in the map, and then after a few seconds it happens again on another slider in the same map, without a break before the slider, and before the slider there were a bunch of circles only. (for example: first 1/2 slider appears, then a bunch of circles, and then about 2-3 seconds after the circles the next slider appears which gives me another lag spike. (the map Im referring to that gave me problems is this. This is just an example of the bunch of maps giving me lag spikes.)

And to clarify, yes, I have tried compatibility mode, fullscreen, reduce lag with no signs of the lag spike going away. I even tried closing all running applications with only osu on; still happens.

So...uh, is there any way to solve this?
iirc the first time this happened was right after some update in February or January, though I cant really remember accurately regarding this.

(before that certain update none of these frequent lag spikes ever happens, only a couple when the map is full of 1/4 kickslider spam)

Edit: to add to the post, sometimes it also happens in the middle of a map on the generation of a 1/2 or 1/1 slider. Also a thing that I've noticed, is that when I restart the map, the lag doesnt happen on the slider; but when I start the map after a while of not playing, the lag spike returns; does this have something to do with the memory? idk tho)

Edit 2: Friend suggested turning off snaking sliders; while it works for some maps such as the map i mentioned above, it doesnt work for other maps I have problems on, for example this (first 1/2 slider a few seconds into the map highest diff.)
Dntm8kmeeatu
All I can suggest is try using Stable Fallback, Maybe switching to DirectX in fallback. Other than that. I don't think we can help you as it seems to be a problem with your PC (You said it was low spec)
peppy
I can replicate this on one of my machines and it is something we are working on improving. You can safely ignore the "we can't help you" part as guy above has no idea what he's talking about.

Also I'd suggest avoiding switching to fallback as it's crazy outdated.
Dntm8kmeeatu

peppy wrote:

I can replicate this on one of my machines and it is something we are working on improving. You can safely ignore the "we can't help you" part as guy above has no idea what he's talking about.
Also I'd suggest avoiding switching to fallback as it's crazy outdated.

I don't have any idea what I'm talking about. I had no idea that this was an actual issue, most problems are just related to people running on toasters. Normally I wouldn't suggest fallback but it helps a surprising amount of people.

But I'm interested / glad to hear it's an issue you are working on.
Topic Starter
Nakano Itsuki
ye, I once wanted to swtich to fallback, but directx lags like crazy.

Anyway, thanks for addressing the problem!

Dntm8kmeeatu wrote:

most problems are just related to people running on toasters.
Well, my friend has a top pc and he still has the same problem as well.