forum

[confirmed] Taiko Big Note Timing Problem Related to FPS Limiters

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Sleepteiner
Problem Details:

When I have the "Frame Limiter" in the options set to "240fps" or above I am completely unable to hit the large taiko notes with both keys. When it is set to "120fps" or lower, I have no problem with getting extra points from the big notes. This wouldn't be a problem if the input lag on the "120fps" and "VSync" didn't get so high. Getting perfect scores right now for me is essentially impossible or at least very awkward on certain maps. I could probably learn to make my way around it, but that doesn't sound too fun. Is anyone else having this problem?

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

osu! version: 20151228.2
Dntm8kmeeatu
Well, I noticed in Taiko, Screen tearing is a big problem when running higher fps. Idk if this is why you do worse or not.

It only makes sense running at lower fps (Which increases latency) would make you preform worse.

It's a weird spot. But it can't be fixed... Since it's not a problem with the game as far is I know.
Topic Starter
Sleepteiner

Dntm8kmeeatu wrote:

Well, I noticed in Taiko, Screen tearing is a big problem when running higher fps. Idk if this is why you do worse or not.

It only makes sense running at lower fps (Which increases latency) would make you preform worse.

It's a weird spot. But it can't be fixed... Since it's not a problem with the game as far is I know.
The screen tearing also happens. Maybe it's connected.
Topic Starter
Sleepteiner
I've done a lot of testing in the last month. I've figured out that I can work my way around this handicap without too much difficulty. Despite that, it is still worrying and strange that my frame limiter setting is still affecting my ability to get full points out of large notes in Taiko.

Dntm8kmeeatu stated that, since this is probably not a problem for everyone, my issue can not be fixed. The issue might not be a global bug, but it certainly is a technical issue on my side. This help forum is also for technical issues, not just for bugs. I don't know who moved this topic to "Resolved Issues," but this post shouldn't be here yet. This issue is still a problem in my game that I need help with fixing.

Anyway, the other main thing that I found is that the time window that I have to hit both keys at the same time for extra points seems to be directly affected by the frame time interval. For example, when I have a 120 fps cap on, the frame time interval is 8.4 ms. I'm not 100% sure, but this interval seems to be the same time interval that I am given to hit both notes at the "same" time. I have no idea why this would happen, but it would explain why the higher my fps is, the harder big notes become to hit. The way that I discovered this theory was through trying to play with a 240 fps cap for a extended period of time. I was able to hit the big notes, but it was much harder than with a 120 fps cap. This would make sense in my theory because the time interval would be 4.2 ms, or half of the time interval at 120 fps. Continuing up, I tried not using a frame cap which lowered my frame time interval to around 0.3 ms. I could NEVER hit a single big note correctly. If my theory is correct, that would make hitting big notes around 28 times harder to hit than with 120 fps. Which is practically impossible.

Again, please move this post out of "Resolved Issues." This issue is not resolved and I really would appreciate some help with it.

Thanks for reading and have a good day.
VeilStar
Threads that haven't been updated for 2 months get archived, which means they get [Archived] added to the title and get moved to the Resolved Issues sub-forum. This happens automatically. Anyway, moved it back.

As for your issue... I have absolutely no idea how big kat/dons work under the hood, so I can't say much about that, but it being harder to hit 2 keys simultaniously with a higher framerate sounds like normal behaviour to me. It's also the reason why high OD is harder to play with lower framerate. If you have 120fps you can only tap as precisely as 8.3ms, meaning that if each key press is 3ms apart it would be registered as being hit at the exact same time, while 1000fps would result in you being able to tap as precisely as 1ms, meaning that if each key press is 3ms apart they would be registered as 3ms apart.

/me bugs TVO with this to have a look at the code for now

Edit after bugging TVO about this: Hitting big kat/dons is lenient to 30ms to get bonus points. If that's the case that's way beyond the point where your framerate should affect your ability to get bonus points for them. Not sure what more to say.
Topic Starter
Sleepteiner
Thanks for replying, VeilStar. I really appreciate it.

I figured that I might as well record a video of this problem to add more legitimacy to my claim. Who knows, it might reveal something to someone.

(The percentages are not scientific or accurate. I only took the first 33 big note hits into account simply because I don't have enough time right now. I can do a more in depth study in the future is someone thinks that I should.)
Topic Starter
Sleepteiner

Dntm8kmeeatu wrote:

Maybe its all placebo, or maybe your equipment is faulty in some way?

Are you using a taiko drum, or keyboard?
I really doubt it is placebo that is causing the problem since it is consistently like this no matter what I do. A placebo effect may be in place to emphasize the problem, but that wouldn't be that big of a problem.

I use a keyboard.
Topic Starter
Sleepteiner
So, the problem is still happening, but I just realized something pretty interesting. Even though the game still tells me that I didn't hit a big note, for some reason I still get the score of a big note. So, it seems to be almost entirely a visual problem, not a gameplay problem. The one thing that isn't just visual is that, on the online score screen, it still claims that I didn't hit any big notes. On the "Beginner" difficultly of this map, I have the exact same score as Northern (15th and 16th place) even though it says that he hit three big notes and that I hit none which doesn't make sense because we did everything else exactly same.

I really hope this new information will help the support team figure out this issue... If I need to be more clear or if I need to make a video demonstrating this new information, I will gladly comply.

Edit: Also, do you think that just reinstalling osu! will fix this? I have been avoiding doing that because I don't want to mess up and lose my maps (because I have all ranked maps).
Tetsu_Jin
Hey there! I seem to be having the same problem...
When I set the frame limiter to 120 fps there seems to be no problem hitting the big notes - however, then I get some kind of lag and a bit of screen tearing. When the frame limiter is at unlimited, there's no screen tearing, but the big notes are literally impossible to get. It's uh...rather frustrating. Are there any updates on the situation?
Topic Starter
Sleepteiner

Tetsu_Jin wrote:

Hey there! I seem to be having the same problem...
When I set the frame limiter to 120 fps there seems to be no problem hitting the big notes - however, then I get some kind of lag and a bit of screen tearing. When the frame limiter is at unlimited, there's no screen tearing, but the big notes are literally impossible to get. It's uh...rather frustrating. Are there any updates on the situation?
Sadly, there aren't any updates or fixes to this problem yet. The great news is that, since you are experiencing this, someone finally has the same problem as me! That means that the mods can now justifiably move this post out of resolved and into confirmed and, because of that, the post will get more attention from the community (I hope).
Tetsu_Jin
Oh, I'm relieved people are still active here! :D
Hopefully someone will look into it, because it feels like I'm missing out some of the taiko experience. I've tried messing around with quite a few settings on my laptop and nothing seems to be working. Could it just be our monitors? Or maybe I'm just missing something?
Topic Starter
Sleepteiner

Tetsu_Jin wrote:

Hopefully someone will look into it, because it feels like I'm missing out some of the taiko experience. I've tried messing around with quite a few settings on my laptop and nothing seems to be working. Could it just be our monitors? Or maybe I'm just missing something?
I've done a lot and I still can't seem to find the cause of this issue, but I will keep trying.

I have a 60hz ASUS VH236H monitor, what about you?
Tetsu_Jin

Sleepteiner wrote:

Tetsu_Jin wrote:

I've done a lot and I still can't seem to find the cause of this issue, but I will keep trying.

I have a 60hz ASUS VH236H monitor, what about you?
Ah, i have an ASUS too :x My laptop is a GL552VW - and it's really recent one too, so I'm not sure why it's going all weird like this...
My specs are really good, so I wonder what is it we need to change. Ahhh, it's just so frustrating...
When I watch replays, I see the big notes being hit, despite the fact I can't see a thing when I play myself.
Stynero
Hello,

i'm glad i found this thread, because i'm having the same issues.

i just recently noticed that i can't hit Big notes at all. i played all the time with unlimited FPS and got around 2600-3500 FPS, after i found this thread here, i tried changing my FPS limiter and with Vsync (what changed my fps to 144) i could finally hit big notes again.

Playing with 120 and 240 fps cap is not possible for me, cause of a lot of screen-tearing but with Vsync i do not get so strong tearing and it is atleast playable.

after some testing in a map i created. i can say:

1. you still get the points for hitting big notes even tho it is not showing a double hit.
  2. Hitting at Highfps is away harder i needed 5 trys to clear my map with 100% at Vsync and 150 trys to clear it with 100% at unlimited (3000+ fps)(maybe it was me failing, but it really feels harder to hit big notes without hitting them that they give you only 50% points
Screenshot

i will be playing at Vsync for now i guess. :(
Topic Starter
Sleepteiner

Stynero wrote:

Hello,

i'm glad i found this thread, because i'm having the same issues.

i just recently noticed that i can't hit Big notes at all. i played all the time with unlimited FPS and got around 2600-3500 FPS, after i found this thread here, i tried changing my FPS limiter and with Vsync (what changed my fps to 144) i could finally hit big notes again.

Playing with 120 and 240 fps cap is not possible for me, cause of a lot of screen-tearing but with Vsync i do not get so strong tearing and it is atleast playable.

after some testing in a map i created. i can say:

1. you still get the points for hitting big notes even tho it is not showing a double hit.
  2. Hitting at Highfps is away harder i needed 5 trys to clear my map with 100% at Vsync and 150 trys to clear it with 100% at unlimited (3000+ fps)(maybe it was me failing, but it really feels harder to hit big notes without hitting them that they give you only 50% points
Screenshot

i will be playing at Vsync for now i guess. :(
Thank you for posting the details about your side of the issue. I am also experiencing everything that you listed in your post. I do hope that this problem will be fixed soon. :(
Topic Starter
Sleepteiner
I am not currently playing Taiko, but when I go back to SS farming in Taiko, I plan on just using the unlimited frame limiter. In my opinion now, I feel that being able to get high accuracy easier is more important than automatically knowing whether or not I hit the big note correctly. Also, it's not like this bug makes it impossible to get the score from the big notes, it is just harder for the game to recognize it as a correctly hit big note. Despite that, I am still going to stay updated on this issue in order to help the osu! staff be able to fix it. I am also still going to post about new findings and information about this bug, which is what this post is really about.

This issue is actually more widespread than I once thought. According to n1doking, "it seems to depend on keyboards and frame limit." We already knew about frame limiters, but what is says about keyboards is new to me, "keyboards for how they send keypresses to computer to osu."

nidoking uses unlimited frame limiter, but he says that he doesn't currently have this problem. Although, when he uses a Razer Blackwidow keyboard, he says that the game only recognizes the big notes about half of the time.

So, now we know that, for n1doking, unlimited frame limiter combined with the Razer Blackwidow keyboard makes it harder, but not impossible, for the game to recognize big notes. I use the SteelSeries 6G v2 USB Mechanical Keyboard with Cherry MX Red switches and when I combine that with the unlimited frame limiter, it is practically impossible for the game to recognize big note hits.

If you are experiencing this issue in any way, it would be very helpful if you could make a post in this thread stating the type of keyboard that you are using, and how similar your experiences are to what has been described in this post and/or to what n1doking has said about his experience with the Razer Blackwidow keyboard.

Writing this post will hopefully do two things. First, it might be able to provide some needed information to the osu! staff. Second, we can start putting some focus onto keyboards in this forum thread.

Thank you for reading my post!
dtnc21
Yeah, I noticed that the large notes aren't registering as a successful dual hit almost every time even though I can hear my keys both click at once when I'm using Unlimited. With 120fps, it does register a dual hit for almost each large note.

Is it just Cutting-Edge, or is it happening in Stable, as well?
Topic Starter
Sleepteiner

dtnc21 wrote:

Yeah, I noticed that the large notes aren't registering as a successful dual hit almost every time even though I can hear my keys both click at once when I'm using Unlimited. With 120fps, it does register a dual hit for almost each large note.

Is it just Cutting-Edge, or is it happening in Stable, as well?
This is happening in the Stable build for me and has been for a pretty long time.

There is a chance that it is at least partially linked to the keyboard being used. Which keyboard are you using when this issue is happening? Knowing that information will be helpful in figuring out what is causing this issue and how to, hopefully, fix it.

Thanks for helping out with this glitch thread. :)
Kao
You could refrain from double posting
Just edit your latest post, to prevent from posts adding up :)
abraker
I am experiencing lag spikes every time I hit one of the drum keys in Taiko, though you really need to spam them to notice. I'm on 240 FPS, beta.
show more