54 posts jump | prev  1, 2, 3, 4  next
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Combo Commander
315 posts
I don't like the idea because it destroys the concept of color-coding user tags depending on what they're doing, which I think is a lot cleaner and more useful. It would make the playerlist look messy and inconsistent, which already seems to have a hard time updating ranks and information for every user, now imagine how that would work if every user field came with a custom name tag. If they're optional, which they should be, they might as well not exist. Unnecessary.
Last edited by Redon on , edited 1 time in total.
Cymbal Sounder
39 posts
I really like this gadrin :D
A few rough ideas on how one would get nametags:
- If you have #1 on a map you can have the maps background (or part of it) as a nametag, for any difficulty,
might be a cool way to show off scores and encourage competitive play
- Maybe award nametags to people who only have one mod combination in the top performances, like a nomod/hddt/ tag
- Name tags to staff members or competition winners?
I hope this idea gets implemented :D

Redon wrote:
I don't like the idea because it destroys the concept of color-coding user tags depending on what they're doing, which I think is a lot cleaner and more useful. It would make the playerlist look messy and inconsistent, which already seems to have a hard time updating ranks and information for every user, now imagine how that would work if every user came with a custom name tag. If they're optional, which they should be, they might as well not exist. Unnecessary.

Barely anyone would have them tho
Slider Savant
106 posts
Redon wrote:
I don't like the idea because it destroys the concept of color-coding user tags depending on what they're doing, which I think is a lot cleaner and more useful. It would make the playerlist look messy and inconsistent, which already seems to have a hard time updating ranks and information for every user, now imagine how that would work if every user field came with a custom name tag. If they're optional, which they should be, they might as well not exist. Unnecessary.

Fair enough, but If the nametags were pre-loaded when the game starts it might reduce some lag and delay in loading
Tempo Trainee
7 posts
gadrin wrote:
silmarilen wrote:
so something like titles in mmorpgs?
sounds pretty interesting to me tbh. altho the ingame name tag (i dont even know if that's the right name for them but ill just use the same term you use) is currently used to show you what the person is doing. how would this go together with name tags?

also if everybody has such a fancy skin like the one in OP, it would get really crowded and confusing to see the relevant information.

If the brightness of the patterns is similar, changing the shade slightly to blue, or still letting it go black when a person is afk could sort the first problem, regarding the information, I don't think it would be a problem if the shading is correct. Alternatively, there could be a stroke around the nametag which indicates the status, for e.g. a red stroke indicating the person is mapping, and a white stroke which indicates the person is playing

You could probably make an option about it tbh. Either leave the original way of the nametag or have it change the colour/shade of it. Then both sides would be satisfied. A third option could also be disabling them if someone dislikes them.
Slider Savant
89 posts
Last edited by Aireu on , edited 3 times in total.
Slider Savant
106 posts
nedia wrote:
I really like this gadrin :D
A few rough ideas on how one would get nametags:
- If you have #1 on a map you can have the maps background (or part of it) as a nametag, for any difficulty,
might be a cool way to show off scores and encourage competitive play
- Maybe award nametags to people who only have one mod combination in the top performances, like a nomod/hddt/ tag
- Name tags to staff members or competition winners?
I hope this idea gets implemented :D

Those are good ideas :D I have added them to additional requests!
Rhythm Incarnate
3,322 posts
gadrin wrote:
If the nametags were pre-loaded when the game starts

I don't want loading times when the game starts. I think you can let it load without ruining performance just how the rankings and other stuff on player info loads. This would require a faster internet connection for some though.

Vahukomm wrote:
You could probably make an option about it tbh. Either leave the original way of the nametag or have it change the colour/shade of it. Then both sides would be satisfied. A third option could also be disabling them if someone dislikes them.

Who can dislike these? Anyway, changing the color or shade of it won't work for all cases. I suggest a ribbon of light on the bottom edge indicating such thing, which highlights when you hover over it. Something like this (I might have overdid it with the yellow):

Last edited by abraker on , edited 1 time in total.
Slider Savant
106 posts
Quote:
gadrin wrote:
If the nametags were pre-loaded when the game starts

I don't want loading times when the game starts. I think you can let it load without ruining performance just how the rankings and other stuff on player info loads. This would require a faster internet connection for some though.

It would take a sec or two to load considering that those are simple 2d images, it could even happen during the "welcome to osu" message.
Tempo Trainee
7 posts
abraker wrote:
Who can dislike these? Anyway, changing the color or shade of it won't work for all cases. I suggest a ribbon of light on the bottom edge indicating such thing, which highlights when you hover over it. Something like this (I might have overdid it with the yellow):

Yea I guess those would work better.

Also Ive never really used my stars so here you go gadrin ^^
Slider Savant
106 posts
Vahukomm wrote:
abraker wrote:

Yea I guess those would work better.

Also Ive never really used my stars so here you go gadrin ^^

Thanks <3 Appriciated
Rhythm Incarnate
12,610 posts
Wow
All those stars O.o
Devs, gimme stars so I can shoot 'em
Rhythm Incarnate
1,205 posts
Cool concept! I wish I could throw stars on this one although a nametag for every map might just be too much.
Suggesting stuff without really remembering the previous suggestions:

1. Nametag per certain rank achieved
2. Nametag for game contribution (mapping, modding, helping people in threads, skinning, etc.)
3. Achievement and title based

There should be a way to support custom name tags. maybe it could be done through contribution (a corresponding tag for a skin you made, wallpaper of your map that got ranked, and some other ways)
Slider Savant
106 posts
Lenfried- wrote:
Cool concept! I wish I could throw stars on this one although a nametag for every map might just be too much.
Suggesting stuff without really remembering the previous suggestions:

1. Nametag per certain rank achieved
2. Nametag for game contribution (mapping, modding, helping people in threads, skinning, etc.)
3. Achievement and title based

There should be a way to support custom name tags. maybe it could be done through contribution (a corresponding tag for a skin you made, wallpaper of your map that got ranked, and some other ways)

Yea some of those are good ideas, the nametags for maps is just a potential idea that someone came up with.
Combo Commander
379 posts
Guys, I think this is gonna be marked as a duplicate, considering the exact thing is being made already :v
Slider Savant
106 posts
Transformau5 wrote:
Guys, I think this is gonna be marked as a duplicate, considering the exact thing is being made already :v

What do you mean?
Reply 54 posts jump | prev  1, 2, 3, 4  next