forum

Collectable name tags

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +1,062
Topic Starter
gadrin
Introduction

Hello. While playing a really long boring map on multiplayer your mind really goes off to some other world and you begin to think about things. During a situation like this, I have imagined myself staring gladly into a rare name tag that I have achieved through some hard work and dedication/luck. I would smile while thinking to myself "damn, i have this sweet rare nametag, this is awesome". And this is the whole idea. I would really like to have some sort of nametag system which would give you nametags that you can attach in game. This will display your achievements for everyone to see.

What are nametags?

I was thinking that when you gain a nametag you would be able to select any of the nametags that you have and use it as a decoration around the square that displays your avatar, rank, pp and level. It would have all kinds of patterns and colors. Something like for e.g. csgo skins except they would not be skins, and I'd imagine they would not be trade-able. They would as I stated in the introduction show other people either the achievement that you have gained, or just show off the new rare patterns that you have gained.

How would I gain them?
I was thinking of a few potential ways to gain the nametags, and I was trying to avoid these which could be abused such as a chance to get a skin per play count. One of the more obvious ones is nametags that you get for completing the achievements on osu. I think this would encourage people to try to get the achievements, and in order to prevent things like sharing secret achievements for the nametags, the nametags that you would get from the achievements could be random (that is just a possibility). Another way that I was thinking of would be from setting a new score on a ranked beatmap.

This would seem fair since ranked beatmaps do follow certain criteria which have to be met, which could prevent abuse. Another possibility which a lot of people might disagree on could be trading, where players would be able to trade their nametags. I would prefer the nametags to be rare, and appear once in tens of plays. One more way that I have thought of is to link the forums to the game, this way users will be able to gain the nametags depending on their reputation on forums, perhaps their modding career or even the amount of posts that they made on the forums.

What is the point?

-Well, first of all it might help the community overall. The nametags will give a player a bigger sense of value and achievement to their account, hence the potential amount of banned accounts might drop by a small percentage due to people wanting to keep their accounts just for the achievements. It might be far fetched, but I'm sure some sort of numbers are involved here. This might decrease the amount of rule breakers, this could be further stretched if there were name tags given out for good behavior in game.

-Since there would be a direct link between the forums and the game, this might encourage more people to be active on the forums and contribute towards the osu community. This might involve some more brains, and perhaps give us new ideas or help more people. People would want to get skins, and since there is no way to abuse the system on the forums (assuming the administration on forums is active) it would encourage people to actually contribute to it thoughtfully.

-It adds diversity to the game. ATM the only enjoyment you can get from that game is playing or chatting (there are other things which may entertain some people but these are the baseline). Adding the nametags would add another baseline of entertainment allowing people to collect, show off and adore their own nametags.

-I don't know about the majority, but personally if I see a game with collectibles, I am usually more encouraged to play it because it gives me more reason to actually play the game. Back when I used to collect trading cards I used to sometimes just sit down and look through them, I would look through the cards for no reason other than just because it felt good. It felt good having the collection. It works the same with things like nametags.

-Another item for the prize pool of official tournaments.

Other requests/information
I would generally prefer if the nametags were rare and there were many many many many of them. Like many. very many. Because then it would let the playrs have some sort of identity with the nametags, and it would actually give them more value. If it's something like a typical mmo where everyone runs around with the same title that is boring. I was thinking of something like csgo skins where you can legit look through people's profiles and say "wow that nametag is nice".

I am not in the favor of including any sort of real currency system involved with the nametags, but I'm just saying that if the game developers are really desperate, this could be another source of income.

This is essentially a csgo skin ripoff idea. But I still think it's a good one.

nedia wrote:

A few rough ideas on how one would get nametags:
- If you have #1 on a map you can have the maps background (or part of it) as a nametag, for any difficulty,
might be a cool way to show off scores and encourage competitive play
- Maybe award nametags to people who only have one mod combination in the top performances, like a nomod/hddt/ tag
- Name tags to staff members or competition winners?

baraatje123 wrote:

Perhaps change it a little
If you get a FC on a map, you get one. (For example the map's BG)
I think it's better that each map has it's own reward (people hate RNG)
I like it, however, the current display shows what's the person's doing (playing, editing, modding, testing, watching, Multiplaying, Osu!Directing)
Perhaps integrate that into it as well (or is it not for in-game? (Text's a little long, only skimmed it))

Lenfried- wrote:

1. Nametag per certain rank achieved
2. Nametag for game contribution (mapping, modding, helping people in threads, skinning, etc.)
3. Achievement and title based

There should be a way to support custom name tags. maybe it could be done through contribution (a corresponding tag for a skin you made, wallpaper of your map that got ranked, and some other ways)

Issues and possible fixes
The nametags have color codes which indicate the status of the user for e.g. white when playing the back, black when afk, or blue when idle. Having other nametags would destroy this system

My idea is to leave the color codes as borders around the nametags which would still have the same indication, or change the shade of the nametag

I don't like the idea of taking away the freedom of choosing our own images for the name tags

The collectibles could be limited to simply being some kind of a pattern or border around the name tag such as the vines i showed in my example (except maybe a bit smaller in diameter because that one was a bit too big)
-Maus-

gadrin wrote:

break rulers
Rulebreakers*

This idea is nice, would look nice with the customizable user panels.

Support
Fenneca
Can't begin to describe how much I want this.
Bara-
Perhaps change it a little
If you get a FC on a map, you get one. (For example the map's BG)
I think it's better that each map has it's own reward (people hate RNG)
I like it, however, the current display shows what's the person's doing (playing, editing, modding, testing, watching, Multiplaying, Osu!Directing)
Perhaps integrate that into it as well (or is it not for in-game? (Text's a little long, only skimmed it))
gregest
I like this,imo there should be a button where you can see all of them and see how to get them and some of them is a secret so you don't know how to get it
deadbeat
something like this?
Topic Starter
gadrin

deadbeat wrote:

something like this?
Yes except I imagine this to be customizable by the user, I would really like to see something like that working more like a collectable rather than something you can import your own image into

Rulebreakers*
haha my bad, corrected it now, I have no idea how I made that mistake
-Maus-
^Also, didn't you mean in the OP that name tags were those stuffz AROUND the panel (the vines in your example)?
Topic Starter
gadrin

Transformau5 wrote:

^Also, didn't you mean in the OP that name tags were those stuffz AROUND the panel (the vines in your example)?
No, not necessarily, but that could be an idea
Mahogany
Very well thought out idea, OP. I like it a lot.

I'd toss you some stars if I had any :(
Topic Starter
gadrin

Mahoganytooth wrote:

Very well thought out idea, OP. I like it a lot.

I'd toss you some stars if I had any :(
thanks ;)
abraker

deadbeat wrote:

something like this?
I wasn't sold on the idea until I saw this. *throws kudosus at thread*
-Maus-

abraker wrote:

deadbeat wrote:

something like this?
I wasn't sold on the idea until I saw this. *throws kudosus at thread*
But it's actually the osu!next feature lol
silmarilen
so something like titles in mmorpgs?
sounds pretty interesting to me tbh. altho the ingame name tag (i dont even know if that's the right name for them but ill just use the same term you use) is currently used to show you what the person is doing. how would this go together with name tags?

also if everybody has such a fancy skin like the one in OP, it would get really crowded and confusing to see the relevant information.
Topic Starter
gadrin

silmarilen wrote:

sounds pretty interesting to me tbh. altho the ingame name tag (i dont even know if that's the right name for them but ill just use the same term you use) is currently used to show you what the person is doing. how would this go together with name tags?

also if everybody has such a fancy skin like the one in OP, it would get really crowded and confusing to see the relevant information.
If the brightness of the patterns is similar, changing the shade slightly to blue, or still letting it go black when a person is afk could sort the first problem, regarding the information, I don't think it would be a problem if the shading is correct. Alternatively, there could be a stroke around the nametag which indicates the status, for e.g. a red stroke indicating the person is mapping, and a white stroke which indicates the person is playing
Redon
popc0rn
I really like this gadrin :D
- If you have #1 on a map you can have the maps background (or part of it) as a nametag, for any difficulty,
- Maybe award nametags to people who only have one mod combination in the top performances, like a nomod/hddt/ tag
I hope this idea gets implemented :D

Redon wrote:

I don't like the idea because it destroys the concept of color-coding user tags depending on what they're doing, which I think is a lot cleaner and more useful. It would make the playerlist look messy and inconsistent, which already seems to have a hard time updating ranks and information for every user, now imagine how that would work if every user came with a custom name tag. If they're optional, which they should be, they might as well not exist. Unnecessary.
Barely anyone would have them tho
Topic Starter
gadrin

Redon wrote:

I don't like the idea because it destroys the concept of color-coding user tags depending on what they're doing, which I think is a lot cleaner and more useful. It would make the playerlist look messy and inconsistent, which already seems to have a hard time updating ranks and information for every user, now imagine how that would work if every user field came with a custom name tag. If they're optional, which they should be, they might as well not exist. Unnecessary.
Fair enough, but If the nametags were pre-loaded when the game starts it might reduce some lag and delay in loading
Vahukomm_old

gadrin wrote:

silmarilen wrote:

If the brightness of the patterns is similar, changing the shade slightly to blue, or still letting it go black when a person is afk could sort the first problem, regarding the information, I don't think it would be a problem if the shading is correct. Alternatively, there could be a stroke around the nametag which indicates the status, for e.g. a red stroke indicating the person is mapping, and a white stroke which indicates the person is playing
You could probably make an option about it tbh. Either leave the original way of the nametag or have it change the colour/shade of it. Then both sides would be satisfied. A third option could also be disabling them if someone dislikes them.
Aireu
Topic Starter
gadrin

nedia wrote:

I really like this gadrin :D
I hope this idea gets implemented :D
Those are good ideas :D I have added them to additional requests!
abraker

gadrin wrote:

If the nametags were pre-loaded when the game starts
I don't want loading times when the game starts. I think you can let it load without ruining performance just how the rankings and other stuff on player info loads. This would require a faster internet connection for some though.

Vahukomm wrote:

You could probably make an option about it tbh. Either leave the original way of the nametag or have it change the colour/shade of it. Then both sides would be satisfied. A third option could also be disabling them if someone dislikes them.
Who can dislike these? Anyway, changing the color or shade of it won't work for all cases. I suggest a ribbon of light on the bottom edge indicating such thing, which highlights when you hover over it. Something like this (I might have overdid it with the yellow):

Topic Starter
gadrin

gadrin wrote:

If the nametags were pre-loaded when the game starts
I don't want loading times when the game starts. I think you can let it load without ruining performance just how the rankings and other stuff on player info loads. This would require a faster internet connection for some though.
It would take a sec or two to load considering that those are simple 2d images, it could even happen during the "welcome to osu" message.
Vahukomm_old

abraker wrote:

Who can dislike these? Anyway, changing the color or shade of it won't work for all cases. I suggest a ribbon of light on the bottom edge indicating such thing, which highlights when you hover over it. Something like this (I might have overdid it with the yellow):
Yea I guess those would work better.

Also Ive never really used my stars so here you go gadrin ^^
Topic Starter
gadrin

Vahukomm wrote:

abraker wrote:

Yea I guess those would work better.

Also Ive never really used my stars so here you go gadrin ^^
Thanks <3 Appriciated
show more