forum

[resolved] osu! Unable to update and can't start with error.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
2009DURAMAX
I have OSU installed on this computer since 2009 and play on it on and off until today. I started osu! after a while of not playing my old computer. The splash screen shows up, then a brief moment of the game starts with a song playing and showing it need to update. All normal and it automatically close out and pop ups the update but then another window pop up with the following message:

An error occurred retrieving the latest update information:
#qd.#ne: HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
at #qd.#je.#qA(Int32 , StringCollection , String[ ] )
at #qd.#je.#hA(String , String[ ] , Stream , Stream )
at #qd.#je.#yA(String , String , String[ ] , Stream , Stream )
at #qd.#je.#yA(String , String , #re , Stream )
at #qd.#je.#aq(String , Stream )
at #qd.#je.#aq(String )
at #qd.#Ke.#Dw()
at #ryb.#qyb.#Eyb()
I'm fairly good with computer but I have no idea what's going on. I try disabling avast to see if it was a firewall. Nope, same thing. I try Google-ing about this problem but very little show up about it. Someone mention about osu! test to fix it and I'm not sure what that is. Wanted to check if the community can help me solve this problem. Thanks.
dionzz99
have you try re-installing osu?
maybe because your version is too old to update..
Topic Starter
2009DURAMAX

dionzz99 wrote:

I'm saving that as my last plan. I have a beatmap I'm working on that I'm afraid to lose it so that's why I want to try to patch/repair the problem. Unless there's a way to re-install osu! without losing all data and beatmap.
dionzz99

2009DURAMAX wrote:

dionzz99 wrote:

I'm saving that as my last plan. I have a beatmap I'm working on that I'm afraid to lose it so that's why I want to try to patch/repair the problem. Unless there's a way to re-install osu! without losing all data and beatmap.
i never uninstall osu before, but i'm pretty sure osu doesn't delete \Songs and other folder. but if you want the safe way to uninstall it. try move \songs and other important folder that you don't want to lose it
then uninstall it and install with the new osu installer. it might works.

also if you don't wanna lose your local scores / rankings, move scores.db somewhere else and after installing the new one, replace it with the old one you moved.

make a back up of the old osu in case everything new doesn't look good.
Topic Starter
2009DURAMAX

dionzz99 wrote:

i never uninstall osu before, but i'm pretty sure osu doesn't delete \Songs and other folder. but if you want the safe way to uninstall it. try move \songs and other important folder that you don't want to lose it
then uninstall it and install with the new osu installer. it might works.

also if you don't wanna lose your local scores / rankings, move scores.db somewhere else and after installing the new one, replace it with the old one you moved.

make a back up of the old osu in case everything new doesn't look good.
I'll give that a try tomorrow, thanks. I found the problem when I wanted to play a quick game before calling it a day so I'll work it more when my mind is fresh tomorrow. I'll update how it turns out.
Topic Starter
2009DURAMAX
As promise an update.

I back up the osu! song and data files to a flash drive. Uninstalled osu! through the control panel which only uninstalled the exe file. Download and install the new osu! and it works but it was on the wrong partition of my hard drive. It didn't read my song folder. (I split my drive to have two section, OS and Data) I manually move it the osu.exe and data to the other partition and restart osu! This time it read my song files but anything with numbers came up as a square text and I couldn't adjust any off the setting. uninstalled osu! again through the control panel and this time it wiped all osu! files of the drive. Good thing I back it up. Install os!u again on the correct partition and the data from the flash drive onto the hard drive. After adjust all the setting to how I remember it was, it runs flawlessly. For some reason, I lost the local scores but meh, I still have the beatmaps I was working on.

Thank again dionzz99 to helping and suggesting to back the old files.

It fun to jump on osu! to play after work but man, I'm really rusty at it now.
dionzz99
you're welcome :D