forum

Adding a "Watch Replay" option on fail [added]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +138
Topic Starter
bbobjs
When a song is failed it would give you a 3rd option which would allow you to watch a replay up to the point where you failed. It would be a partial version of the "Watch Replay" option you're given when you pass a song so I assume it wouldn't be to complicated to implement; however I know very little about how "osu!" is programed so correct me if I'm wrong. The main problem the main problem I see with adding the feature is that all current song specific skins would be missing the button so I suppose there would just be a hidden space for it when one of those songs is failed. I think that adding this would be extremely helpful for newer players and for challenging beatmaps in general, thus I believe that it's worth the time to implement.

I used the search and didn't find this but it seems likely that someone would have already asked for it; if it was already suggested I'm sorry. Thank you for taking the time to consider adding this.
Torran
This is also a feature found in the Ouendan games known as Review. I'm surprised that this was never implemented in osu!

+1 Support
anonymous_old
Wow.

YES!

This would help in learning patterns greatly.
0_o
I've always wanted this :)
Randy96
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
FurukawaPan
There are a number of times I've wondered *why* I failed a song, but couldn't go back to look at it. Should also be possible to see your replay at HalfTime speed.

+1 support!
Derekku
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
RogueHiyru
qlum
Senbon
More supports...

I've always wanted to see how far off I've missed a hit circle and how much I should calculate next time. :(
Zekira
Yoshi348
I don't exactly feel that it looks that useful myself, but on the other hand I'm always for nearly any feature from the DS games that hasn't been implemented yet, so support.
FinalLucario
Topic Starter
bbobjs

Yoshi348 wrote:

I don't exactly feel that it looks that useful myself, but on the other hand I'm always for nearly any feature from the DS games that hasn't been implemented yet, so support.
Do you just feel that the option wouldn't be useful to you or do you think it probably wouldn't help the average player in the long run?

soradg123 wrote:

This is also a feature found in the Ouendan games known as Review. I'm surprised that this was never implemented in osu!

+1 Support
I suppose it's important to note that what I'm proposing isn't quite the same as Ouendan's "Review" option. If I remember correctly the option was added in Ouendan 2 and allowed you to view the last 5-10(?) seconds before you failed. What I'm proposing is that it allows you to watch the entire replay up to the point where you failed (perhaps it's more correct to say "forces you" rather than allows). I'm proposing it this way for two reasons:

1. I suspect that it would be easier to code and require less processing power this way.
2. I'm not really sure how many seconds before the fail point would be needed or if everyone could agree that X seconds is the perfect number. Also the actual trouble pattern often occurs long before the fail point (for example in the case that no beats appear for an extended period of time).

Anyway if anyone has a strong preference towards the "Review" system over the "Watch Replay on Fail" system then please voice it as well as how many seconds you think would be needed for "Review." Also if anyone has alternative ideas please voice those too. Personally I'm fairly neutral on this subject and am only suggesting "Watch Replay on Fail" because I think it's more likely that peppy would be willing to implement it over "Review."
anonymous_old
Gabi
doesn't this mean the replay has to be saved in your replay folder? since i doubt it will get saved in osu database because people do fail/retry alot lol
FurukawaPan

Gabi wrote:

doesn't this mean the replay has to be saved in your replay folder? since i doubt it will get saved in osu database because people do fail/retry alot lol
No, just in memory, but I suppose allowing the F2 key to work at that screen would dump it to your replays folder.

I also feel it should replay the entire map up to the point of failure, since it would fit better with seeking logic, and there's already a 2x playback option. Sometimes the fail starts further back than 10 seconds.
Yoshi348

bbobjs wrote:

Yoshi348 wrote:

Do you just feel that the option wouldn't be useful to you or do you think it probably wouldn't help the average player in the long run?
I know it would be useful to me, and I think it probably wouldn't help but I wouldn't go out and say that with confidence because I don't know how other people play. :)
Gemi
I think this would be quite useful.
Nachy
Would be really helpful and nice.

Support +1
show more