forum

Reverse Distance Snap [duplicate]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
rust45
I thought about this a while ago I don't know why I haven't posted it yet but my idea is that when placing a note before another note then it can be placed only where the next note would be spaced correctly. Also, if you place it between two notes then it will only let you place where you can have it to have proper spacing. I'm sorry if I was unclear.

theowest edit:
I think it has to do with changing the distance spacing on already place notes
going backwards. Instead of changing the distance spacing from previous notes, you do it from the next notes. In case you want to change the distance spacing of notes further back.

deadbeat edit: duplicate - t/15991
Derekku
Deja vu? viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14667

EDIT: No offense to MM

Also: No.

EDIT: wut
mm201
I don't think enforcing both directions at the same time is a good idea.
Ekaru

Derekku Chan wrote:

Deja vu? viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14667

EDIT: No offense to MM

Also: No.
Learn to read. They are different ideas.

For this idea, imagine there are 3 notes in a row. This idea would be when you go to move the first one, it can only be moved in a way that will have the middle note be spaced correctly. The middle note could only be moved so that the last note would be spaced directly.

It's literally a reverse distance snap. As in, instead of using the previous note for spacing, it uses the note after it. MM's idea is 100% DIFFERENT. Some people have wanted this though, but that was a while ago.
LuigiHann
Actually yeah, this idea (read the first post a couple times because it's weird) is a good idea. I'd mostly like it when I have to move a note after the fact...

Although, this would have to be a toggle (and it would have to turn regular distance snap off when it is turned on), because... if I have notes (1), (2) and (3), and I try to move note (2), the distance between (1) and (3) is known and unchanging, but the (1-2) distance and (3-2) distance are both locked in by the distance snap... you wouldn't actually be able to slide (2) around, because there are only 2 possible locations it could snap to. That's just math.

Could still be a useful toggle for moving the beginning of a combo around.
Derekku
No need to get snappy, Ekaru. I was still half-asleep and I thought they were similar. Now I'm more awake and see the difference.

In accordance to what LH said, I can see how this would be useful. :P
anonymous_old
I say have this solely as a modifier key. I've wanted this many times.
Echo
Use your eyes, it's what they're for
Jinxy
This is want.
machol30

rust45 wrote:

I thought about this a while ago I don't know why I haven't posted it yet but my idea is that when placing a note before another note then it can be placed only where the next note would be spaced correctly.
There were numerous times when I actually liked to see this implemented, but then I just realized... Couldn't you just move the note later, using the same intervals, distance snap there and then move the note back (on timeline)? But then sliders would become a different story. I'm more neutral on this idea.

rust45 wrote:

Also, if you place it between two notes then it will only let you place where you can have it to have proper spacing. I'm sorry if I was unclear.
++++SUPPORT
This would save me sooo much time beatmapping and give me a break from "non-snap position/move to center/check for error/Ctrl+z Ctrl+z Ctrl+z/more position/move to center/check for error/Ctrl+z Ctrl+z Ctrl+z/blahblahblah/Yay!Done!"
Topic Starter
rust45

buraimaster1234 wrote:

rust45 wrote:

I thought about this a while ago I don't know why I haven't posted it yet but my idea is that when placing a note before another note then it can be placed only where the next note would be spaced correctly.
There were numerous times when I actually liked to see this implemented, but then I just realized... Couldn't you just move the note later, using the same intervals, distance snap there and then move the note back (on timeline)? But then sliders would become a different story. I'm more neutral on this idea.
This seems more of a workaround to me.
Sir Minelli

Echo wrote:

Use your eyes, it's what they're for
^ Yeah

As long as the beat placement is intuitive, the map should be ok.
I think that the current Distance Snap system works fine. You don't need to be pixel perfect when placing the beats, and if you have the distance snap active where and when you should have it active, you wont have these type of problems.

I'm neutral on this... it is just a matter of learning to use the distance snap correctly.