forum

Arrow keys not working properly when typing to search [confirmed] [resolved]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
JhowM
I don't know if this is intended or not.. but this has been bothering me for some time.
When I search for some tag that includes the currently selected map and press any of the arrow keys it will select either the first or last map in the list.

Basically this:
1. Have a map selected
2. Type in something that includes the currently selected map, e.g., the artist
3. Press any of the arrow keys
4. See the result

I think it should select the map above/below the current selected one with left/right arrow or other difficulties with up/down arrow keys.
theowest
it's intended. The arrow keys makes you change difficulty/beatmap. Just hit escape or erase with backspace.

oops, that's not what you mean.

I can confirm this behaviour. If you use your left/right arrow keys when being selected on a map you searched, you'll be forced to the maps on the edges. This is obviously not intended behaviour and should be fixed. Low priority though.
peppy
I've attempted to fix this, but in the process I may have caused other weirdness, so please try your best to break keyboard selection on song select (with or without search).
MillhioreF
I fumbled about a bunch at song select, but the only thing I caused was also in the public build (super-minor graphical glitch, I'll post about it soon in its own thread)
Definitely seems fixed.
theowest
yep, fixed in version b20130220test

I didn't find anything else wrong with the song select for now,
SPOILER
except the fact that I have to update my skin

I hope it's skinnable
Topic Starter
JhowM
This problem is back as of b20130319
theowest

JhowM wrote:

This problem is back as of b20130319
yep! unresolving.
peppy
What's the issue? I've tried to replicate briefly and can't find anything going wrong.
MillhioreF
This still happens, but in a slightly different way than before.

1. Search for any search term with at least one result
2. Click any of the results
3. Delete the search string
4. Without selecting any other map, press the left or right arrow key

It jumps to either the first or last beatmap in your entire library, depending which arrow key is pushed.
electrolytes
Alright, JhowM posted one example of this arrow-key-last/first problem, and MillhioreF just posted another (I can confirm both). I might as well go ahead and post four more:

Issue #1: Arrow keys not working properly when returning to search.
• [Instructions] Search for something that returns multiple matches. Play beatmap (or just start+quit). Return to results. Press arrow key.
• [Expected behavior] Previously played beatmap is selected. Arrow keys work as normal.
• [What happens] Beatmap is indeed selected, but arrow keys skip to the first or last beatmap set.

Issue #2: Arrow keys not working properly on search after changing mode.
• [Instructions] Search for something that returns multiple matches. Select a beatmap in the middle. Change mode (to any, even the current mode). Press arrow.
• [Expected behavior] Previously selected beatmap is selected. Arrow keys work as normal.
• [What happens] Same as Issue #1.
• [Additional comment] It'd be nice if the user bar to the right of "Selection Options" changed to when one changes modes.

Issue #3: Arrow keys not working properly after removing from FavoritesA or FavoritesB:
• [Instructions] Go to FavoritesA/B list. Remove beatmap set.
• [Expected behavior] Removed beatmap is selected. List positioned where beatmap was. Arrows select before/after where removed set was.
• [What happens] Same as Issue #1. Additionally, list is positioned at top.
• [Additional comment] This is especially frustrating. I can't 'use mouse instead' because the position changes - cleaning out favorites is very difficult.

Issue #4: Arrow keys not working properly after un-removing from FavoritesA or FavoritesB:
• [Instructions] Go to FavoritesA/B list. Remove beatmap set. Change mind and add beatmap set back.
• [Expected behavior] Previously removed beatmap is selected. Arrow keys work as normal.
• [What happens] Same as Issue #1.

Other notes:
• I've been having issues with #1 and #3 at least since this post: p/2111970/
• I tested all these on two different computers. The common factor seems to maintaining list position when refreshing a list.
• I ran into another issue with saved searches while testing these: t/127091
laport
this title triggered an "issue" i have with osu, when searching for a beatmap by typing something, can't navigate with arrow keys in text, only backspace, this might have to do with arrows being used in the menu?
MillhioreF
There was a thread about what laport said, but apparently it's intentional behavior.

Moving to low priority for now since it's not THAT important, and there are too many high-priority confirmed issues at the moment. Someone remind me to move it back once the more pressing issues are resolved and there's more breathing room in Tech Support.
Mystyk
this actually really disturbs me to be honest :<

here are some pictures:
1 - doing nothing
2 - typing into search
3 - deleting from search (but I had to scroll up myself without using hoover :/)
4 - result after hitting arrow key

Well I hope something can be done about this.
grumd
Yeh, the most annoying bug in the world. I always use arrows for scrolling maps and this is quite disturbing...
MillhioreF
We've got breathing room in Tech Support and medium priority is going out of style. Let's move it back.
peppy
Fixed on test build. This is quite delicate behaviour that could affect other areas of beatmap selection, so please give it a bit of testing!
deadbeat
seems to be working for me
MillhioreF
Found a couple new bugs, but I'll give them each their own threads (they're both very minor and happen in public too.) Seems fixed to me!