forum

Messages for new mappers

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
I often notice that a lot of new mappers submit maps without reading guides, not asking for early reviews, or not knowing where to go what to do after submission. I know we have plenty of resources to help new mappers, but nothing in game to direct the player to it.

To solve this, I want notices in editor if you have no ranked maps that link you to #modhelp, the wiki, and General questions.
Flower
That helps. Please make it!

A step-by-step arrows-and-bubbles tutorial will make new mappers understand the interface quicker.

Also for experienced mappers opening a new installed client, you can choose to skip.
Kodora
Yeah, should be great. Surprised that this wasn't added yet :o
TheVileOne

Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
The timing one is fine, but rarely any new mapper submits a map before finishing a whole diff. By that point, they have already wasted a good amount of time on something that probably sucks. We need to tell mappers to get help as soon as they get into the editor, so they have some form of guidance.
TheVileOne
How do you tell that they are a new mapper?
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
As stated in the op:
if you have no ranked maps
Obviously, you can close the notice if you don't care, but people who don't understand the ranking process usually are the ones who need someone to guide them to get their first ranked map.
Bara-
Okay
But 'no ranked maps'? No way
I have 24 maps submitted, but none is ranked as I lose patiencr for my maps (except Remember me)
I'd say no ranked map/less than 5 submitted (or 3 maybe)
xxdeathx
As the newest mapper in this thread, I agree that this is a fine idea. I made my first maps without any knowledge of timing sections, hitsounding (access to information regarding this is especially lacking), or the ranking process—how to get mods, responding to them, M4M's, BAT's, bubbling, etc. It would definitely be a lot easier for new mappers to get their foot in the door when they know a little about what they're doing, at least the basics.
TheVileOne
So it is going to keep reminding the mapper until he gets a ranked map?

My vision of this idea is to display a one time notification for people who enter the editor that will open up #modhelp if you click on it.

New mappers have a lot of information if they decide to look for it. osu! Academy is one such resource.
Darkxell_mc
I'm totally agreeing.
I tried my first map about a week ago, and I had a lot of trouble findings how to do things...
As a new mapper, I had a pretty precise idea of what I wanted to do, but nothing I didn't realise that mapping needs both preparation and editing skills.

I think I'm not the only one who did the things wrong, so I'm wanna list the most important things that got me in trouble:

- BPM and offset setting.
That might seems stupid, but i didn't got how the BPM thing was working, so I used an external program. Of course It didn't gave me the offset, so I leaved it blank, and the BPM was slighly too fast. Overall, that was a real pain, an I ended up placing precise circles using the 1/16 beat snap divisor. You can Imagine what happened to the song, at least I understand the big red message i got on my screen :D

- Sliders.
Left click to place, right click to end, left click while placing to curve, double left click while placing to turn straight, scroll or use the timeline to make the ball goes back...
Alright, but how are you suposed to gess? I did my map with very few sliders, since I didn't got how it is working. Once again, you can easly imagine how is the map.

- Timing sections.
1 hour to figure out how to place a kiai time. :(
Also the timing pannel is really hard to understand without any explanations, at least the wiki is full of very interested stuff :)

- Storyboards.
Still need explanations :?

- Difficulty
Because I usually play in Hard/insane, I though it was a god idea to start with an insane map.
Do I really need to explain why this is a very dumb idea? :o

Well that's pretty much all there is to it.
Just wanted to say that i'm not angry or whatever, and I actually think the editor is really well made and powerfull, even if things are not very intuitive. I just want to help other people to avoid the trouble of being lost in all of the menus, because I know i'm not alone...

Btw sorry if my english is desirable, it's starting to be really late here.
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
Darkxell_mc: Thanks for your explanation of what gave you trouble as a first time mapper, it is pretty enlightening. I need to think about how to handle all of that, so I'll have to think about that later.

TVO: I had a similar vision. I wanted a notice that when you first get into the editor, not only links to #modhelp, but to guides that can help the mapper actually start, so osu!academy or something like t/122533 . In all honesty, the wiki is a horrible place to teach someone. Trying to teach someone from the ranking criteria, is probably not going to work. However, with the initial notice, there will be the typical close and X button, but there is a note on the bottom that you can turn this notice off in the options (forcing people to read it). If you don't turn off the noctice, it will keep showing up each time you go into the editor.

baraatje123: My idea I gave TVO should solve your problem of when we should turn off the notice.
xxdeathx
he completely skipped replying to me :(
Factorial
That's true for me also.