forum

Sim Gretina - Raise This Barn (Remix) [Osu|Taiko]

posted
Total Posts
show more
Royston
@ztrot: My apologies, I wasn't clear in my mod post... I meant to add a note on the blue ticks, not red tick.

Here's what I mean: Turn-'em-round-quick-by-the-right-el-bow [currently the "the" goes unemphasized while everything surrounding it does, which feels a little odd to me]
Topic Starter
ztrot

TheVileOne wrote:

I don't really want to remove my kiai. I have it there to signify large jumpy areas in my maps. They are the crescendos in my mapping. (Yes, I strongly believe your lack of kiai is a mistake, since kiai makes longer songs more enjoyable). That's your choice though, I find that my kiai gets me in the mood to push myself. I think my jumps would be harder to hit, at the crescendos without it.

Wall of text, inspired by your response.
SPOILER
I think you are misreading my mod post. I guess I shouldn't blame you, I was trying to group together several similar issues, and making generalizations about them. I was trying to point out that you were making inconsistent changes in your map, and some of them I didn't particularly like. I thought you might be experienced enough to understand what I meant without me having to spent a paragraph on each instance. I have not checked yet, so I don't know what exactly you have changed. I will do a full recheck when I get the chance.

My opinion of quality is different than yours, and that is fine within reason. Certain things though just should be avoided in any map. I gave you that which I thought is a flaw, and I'm sorry if you misunderstood me. If it looks like a vague generalization, and I do not provide a proper solution (That one I provided in the first part, was due to an early version of the mod which I rewrote), it is a safe bet that it's my opinion on the overall quality of the map or things that I disliked.

There was so many problematic areas that I couldn't figure exact solutions too, that I lumped as many describable ones that I could and left it to you to figure out what was fixable. That example I probably should have removed, but I neglectfully left it in, thinking it may still be usable. I will never expect you to use my solution exactly unless I specially recommend you to do so. That is why some of my suggestions (and opinions you misread as suggestions) might not work out, as I can't spend 5 hours testing all the suggestions I make and sometimes even I don't know how to fix it. If that is the case, I don't expect you to fix it, if you cannot.

Few maps are perfect. Not all flaws are fixable and some are even intentional (anti-jumps, jumps, variable snap changing). Effort is made to weed out non-quality affecting or gameplay affecting issues, but in the case with your difficulty, it really felt strange that I kept playing the same sections, but slightly slower or faster. I adjust my cursor to the rate the notes are moving, and I can identify when the pace slightly changes from my preferred pace.

That was one issue. Another issue was that you senselessly change the slider shapes and angles. It's a problem I never expected to see from you. It's usually the newbie mappers that I have to explain that you shouldn't change the slider shape each and every transition. Pattern alignment and form are also very important to me. In order for a part to be fitting, it must

1. Match the music and sound on-beat.
2. Be presented in an intuitive, and identifiable manner. (You must be able to identify it as a pattern)
3. It should be consistent with surrounding patterns if the beat doesn't change rhythm
4. The pattern matches the overall intended pacing and difficulty in a map.
5. The pattern's context is identifiable in the music (If the music is abstract, the pattern should be abstract, if the musics repeats patterns, the beat should repeat patterns. If the music is calm, the flow should be calm.)
6. You must have a reason to malign a pattern, and it must be done in a way that is visually appealing. (keep in mind that violating this rule does not mean your misaligned sequence is not a flaw. Maligned patterns are flawed patterns and may or may not be fitting.
7. A better pattern does not exist, or an existing flawed pattern can be made more perfect without negatively affecting the flow or stability of other patterns.

A word about the hitsounds. If you do not have a hitsound at the phrase start, then at least in taiko your difficulty will be flawed. I just mentioned it in case it could be feasible to incorporate it into your hitsounds. I didn't have the time or the patience to thoroughly test the hitsound pattern possibilities, so I just left it as an open-ended idea that you could give input on.

My job is not to give bad suggestions. My job is to critique your map, and give ideas that may or may not improve the map. I feel this is the role a MAT should have. There's no sense in just ignoring the things we don't like, because that gives no feedback to the mapper to change it so that it might be more enjoyable. There will always be maps that are incompatible, but I tend to be adamant in the cases that are almost enjoyable. This song was one of those almost there cases. If some of what I say isn't fixable or you choose not to fix it, then it will continue to not be enjoyable to me. That's fine for me, I do not have to play your difficulty, but if it came to ranking it, my opinion would be much more harsh.

If you read all of that, you can probably tell you have inspired me. I will try to inform users ahead of time of my modding approaches in my userpage to prevent further misunderstandings and hopefully inspire others to improve in their modding habits. :)
Added ki time if you could make yours match what I have done that would be great
Kyouren
My Little Pony:Friendship is Magic
I Like Song and Movies
TheVileOne
Made some edits for clarity

Rest of my mod

Don't give kudosu please.

Vinyl's Normal

It started out rough, but it seems you found a good rhythm later on in the song. If you can make the start of the song as good as the end, then this map will be in good shape. It might need some minor remapping though.

00:07:384 (1) - Just looks better on the horizontal line or at the very least 2 units below the horizontal line. This is just how it needs to be. You'll have to figure out what to do with the other slider.
The part after, I guess you could do this. http://osu.ppy.sh/ss/572021 I still don't like it, but your pattern choices aren't giving very many options. you may need to remap this start.
00:11:076 (1) - Missing a finish
00:18:461 (1) - Missing hitsounds on this.
00:20:307 (1,2) - I dislike the misalignment.
00:26:769 (3,1,2,3) - Another random transition and formless pattern. your map is full of these and it makes me question whether this map is fixable. http://osu.ppy.sh/ss/569531 < better looking
00:38:769 (3) - Move up two units to line up better with previous slider?
00:44:307 (1) - Move last point down 1 unit.
00:51:692 (1,2,3,4) - This is just a bizarre combo. I would prefer a more consistent pattern since the song isn't bizarre, but if you want to keep I guess you can wait for more opinions.
00:58:153 (2,1) - I don't like rebounding off a repeat slider in this manner. Doesn't seem to fit the music. I'm sorry but I'm not sure how it could be fixed while keeping your patterns intact. http://osu.ppy.sh/ss/572025 < Could work.
01:17:538 (1,2) - There's no hitsounds on these.
01:19:384 (1) - Please have this follow the curve of the previous slider more. http://osu.ppy.sh/ss/572029
01:21:230 - Your combos are shorter here, compared to how you started the song. You should try to adopt one way of representing patterns.
01:31:384 (2,1) - Center the blanket.
01:39:692 (1) - looks out of place in its current position. (IMO that triple looks out of place). I guess that's just my opinion that it doesn't look right.
01:39:692 (1,2) - This snap doesn't have to stay 1.0 if you wanted to make a better transition here.
01:42:923 (3) - Odd that the actual triple in the music starts after the triple is finished. Don't you think?
01:44:307 (5) - Missing a clap
01:48:923 (1,2,1,2,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,1,2,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,1,2,3) - Best mapped part in the whole song so far.
02:12:923 (1,2) - If you can get it to work, 1.0 will be better.
02:21:230 (3) - forgot a clap
02:40:153 (2) - ^

Insane
At some points it felt like you were actively avoiding making it difficult, but in doing so you resulted in making a pattern that is less interesting or carries less flow than an Insane based pattern would carry. Some people may find it disappointing, because of missed opportunities to make it more difficult, but IMO it mostly played fine as a Hard+ or an Insane- (There are some Hard's that are more difficult to prove my point about this). That is my opinion, not a suggestion. If you want to make your difficulty more interesting for Insane players, great! It is not my place to decide the overall pacing for your beatmap.

(P.S. No, I'm not suggesting you change the difficulty name.)

00:14:769 (1,2,3,4,5,6) - Structure of this looks a bit shaky. the tiny spacing difference in between this and the imperfect blanket here 00:15:000 (2,3) - are creating flaws in the pattern.
00:21:692 (1,2,3) - Transition doesn't look great. Instead of going down with 3 you can place it to the left, and then you could expand your jumps.
http://osu.ppy.sh/ss/572042 I find it fun to play like this, not sure how you would feel.
00:23:538 (6,7,8,9,10) - The fact that these sliders are slightly crooked bother me when I see them, but I guess you can keep them since they work.
00:45:230 (4) - i'm not sure if it matters or not but the blanket could be better here. I'll leave it to you if this is worth it.
00:53:538 (1,2,3,4) - There's little form here. I don't really have a particular solution to fix this. I would have had a symmetry pattern, but you are straying away from those kinds of patterns. This has good flow IMO. http://osu.ppy.sh/ss/572049
01:02:541 (1,2,3,4,5,6) - This is fun, maybe the low custom hitsound is a bit dull, but it's fun.
01:06:923 (3) - Unfitting curve. You should fix the blanket.
01:08:769 (3,4) - these shouldn't be two different slider shapes, and 4 should be lower and to the right to properly align. You know this spacing is a bit close for an Insane here. Maybe a jump would be more fitting.
01:12:002 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) - Great pattern!
01:20:769 (8,9,10,11,1) - I'm not sure about this curve. Should be like this http://puu.sh/1OG8S
01:35:538 (3,4,5,6,1) - U shaped stream >.< I really would prefer a normal curve that blankets around the next part http://puu.sh/1OGcj< this carries better flow than your pattern.
01:36:230 (2,3) - for some reason this feels unnatural. you know instead of awkwardly change flow and spacing, why not try a symmetry pattern here. It would make sense since you have a symmetry pattern in the next combo. It would also fix the really unfitting part after it. I found one that plays extremely well and I really like it. http://osu.ppy.sh/ss/572056 not completely symmetrical, but it transitions well.
01:45:692 (3,4,5) - Sort of random IMO. There has to be a better way you could map this.
01:50:307 (1,2,3,4,1) - What is up with that lump at the end of this? it's awkward to hit. this should use solid curves, so please even out that lump.
01:57:000 (5,6) - Seems like an unusual angle to me. I would try a different angle. 6 looks and seems to flow more naturally (more intuitively) if it were higher in the pattern. It could also work lower, but it doesn't look as good. http://osu.ppy.sh/ss/572061
02:11:076 (1,2,3,4) - Argh these kind of sliders annoy me when I see them in a map. I guess it's fine (the blanket with 4 may be slightly off, but it's very small)
02:14:769 (1,2,3,4,5,6,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,1) - Well mapped.
02:34:615 (3,4,5,6,1,2,3,4,5,6) - Same comment as 1:35. I highly, highly recommend changing that transition just like the first combo. It's just nota consistent or structurally sound pattern and doesn't really fit the part at all. It could be a lot better. http://puu.sh/1OGGD <overlap (My suggestion at 1:35 http://puu.sh/1OGHp < no overlap)
02:44:769 (3,4,5) - Same as 1:45.
02:55:384 (7) - New combo.
02:57:230 (1) - Remove new combo
02:58:846 (7) - New combo.
03:00:461 (1) - remove new combo?
03:00:461 (1,2,3,4,1) - Not perfect. I suggest making the spacing more consistent, and maybe adjusting the shape a bit too. The shape can probably stay if you have a particular reason to have it like that, but the spacing would make it look more consistent and also easier to play.
TheVileOne
osu glitched...

Might as well use this post for something...

I added kiai time to match, and made some minor fixes as well as fixed a few audio levels.

http://puu.sh/1OHyr
ColdTooth

TheVileOne wrote:

Made some edits for clarity

Rest of my mod

Don't give kudosu please.

Vinyl's Normal

It started out rough, but it seems you found a good rhythm later on in the song. If you can make the start of the song as good as the end, then this map will be in good shape. It might need some minor remapping though.

00:07:384 (1) - Just looks better on the horizontal line or at the very least 2 units below the horizontal line. This is just how it needs to be. You'll have to figure out what to do with the other slider. Fixed.
The part after, I guess you could do this. http://osu.ppy.sh/ss/572021 I still don't like it, but your pattern choices aren't giving very many options. you may need to remap this start. It's fine the way it is.
00:11:076 (1) - Missing a finish D'oh, fixed.
00:18:461 (1) - Missing hitsounds on this. ^
00:20:307 (1,2) - I dislike the misalignment. I will not change this. 00:21:230 (2,1,2) - makes a nice symmetry.
00:26:769 (3,1,2,3) - Another random transition and formless pattern. your map is full of these and it makes me question whether this map is fixable. http://osu.ppy.sh/ss/569531 < better looking Better looking indeed
00:38:769 (3) - Move up two units to line up better with previous slider? Nah, it lines up still the way it is now.
00:44:307 (1) - Move last point down 1 unit. K
00:51:692 (1,2,3,4) - This is just a bizarre combo. I would prefer a more consistent pattern since the song isn't bizarre, but if you want to keep I guess you can wait for more opinions. I might change it. I may need more opinions for this.
00:58:153 (2,1) - I don't like rebounding off a repeat slider in this manner. Doesn't seem to fit the music. I'm sorry but I'm not sure how it could be fixed while keeping your patterns intact. http://osu.ppy.sh/ss/572025 < Could work. Reorganized
01:17:538 (1,2) - There's no hitsounds on these. Woops
01:19:384 (1) - Please have this follow the curve of the previous slider more. http://osu.ppy.sh/ss/572029 k
01:21:230 - Your combos are shorter here, compared to how you started the song. You should try to adopt one way of representing patterns. Fixed
01:31:384 (2,1) - Center the blanket. k
01:39:692 (1) - looks out of place in its current position. (IMO that triple looks out of place). I guess that's just my opinion that it doesn't look right. It's the same spacing, it's fine.
01:39:692 (1,2) - This snap doesn't have to stay 1.0 if you wanted to make a better transition here. Fixed
01:42:923 (3) - Odd that the actual triple in the music starts after the triple is finished. Don't you think? I used a 1/2 slider repeat instead of triples. Didn't want to overpower the triples.
01:44:307 (5) - Missing a clap Fixed
01:48:923 (1,2,1,2,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,1,2,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,1,2,3) - Best mapped part in the whole song so far.
02:12:923 (1,2) - If you can get it to work, 1.0 will be better. whoops, thats fixed, thought it was 1/0 in the first place.
02:21:230 (3) - forgot a clap woops
02:40:153 (2) - ^ fixed
http://puu.sh/1OYws
rezoons
Hi :),

I really love your map.

I've tried to map the non-remixed version but i don't think it has any chance to be ranked one day. But i made some skinning elements and maybe you could be interested by them: http://puu.sh/1PLd4.

Anyway, i really love this. *star*
RiKoKan
Cool !!!
MMzz
Yo.

[General]
Make the audio lead-in 2000 as that is the minimum.

[Insane]
Run AIBat there are a ton of unsnapped circles here.
01:12:230 (3) - Use the hithat sound on this note, looks like you forgot to put it here.
01:19:384 (5) - New combo? It's not really needed but I think it defines the change in the music better.

[Hard]
I suggest tickrate 2 so that your longer slider's ticks catch the drum beats in the kiai parts. (It will also make sliders like this: 01:19:384 (1) - easier to understand because the ticks lead the player into the 3/4 beat.)
00:24:923 (1) - Why is there a new combo here? It would make more sense to have the combo on 00:24:000 (5) - or 00:25:846 (3) - , follows the music better.

And a bit of advice to you TVO. You should try and get out of the habit of doing this: 00:29:076 (1) - . Using a slider end to represent a stanza start doesn't play very well, but it can work in some cases like: 00:33:000 (1) - same goes if this were just a slider. There is explanation and music theory in this thread: t/58959&start=0 I'm terrible at explaining it but ziin did a great job.

[Normal]
I suggest tickrate 2 here aswell, read above in the hard's mod.
00:18:461 (1) - Add a clap to the tail? You seem to have forgotten it.
00:49:384 (2) - ^

I also advise you read the advice and stuff I gave TVO, you do it a lot more than him.

[Easy]
Tickrate 2 here aswell.

[Oni]
01:12:461 (4) - k? Keep the rhythm going and relating to the previous patterns it feels kinda empty without a kat.
02:11:769 (2) - Delete this note? It would be a nice touch to take advantage in that skip-beat thing in the song. A nice break from the constant 1/2-1/4.
02:51:692 (2,1,1) - YAY VOCAL FINISHER EMPHASIS. <3
03:02:307 (2) - Hey uh, there is a note inside this slider. lol

You stole my Taiko Poni. ;_;

[Muzukashii]
Remove countdown and letterboxes.
00:14:769 (1) - Finisher? You put finishers on all the notes except the actual note that needs it because of the song.

This Muzukashii needs to be filled in with more notes, the difficulty jump from this to Oni is too big.
TheVileOne

MMzz wrote:

Yo.

[General]

[Insane]
Run AIBat there are a ton of unsnapped circles here.
01:12:230 (3) - Use the hithat sound on this note, looks like you forgot to put it here.
01:19:384 (5) - New combo? It's not really needed but I think it defines the change in the music better.

[Hard]
I suggest tickrate 2 so that your longer slider's ticks catch the drum beats in the kiai parts. (It will also make sliders like this: 01:19:384 (1) - easier to understand because the ticks lead the player into the 3/4 beat.)
Done. I adjusted the volumes on all the slider ticks in the map to fit each area the best. I rather like the result.
00:24:923 (1) - Why is there a new combo here? It would make more sense to have the combo on 00:24:000 (5) - or 00:25:846 (3) - , follows the music better. Changed

And a bit of advice to you TVO. You should try and get out of the habit of doing this: 00:29:076 (1) - . Using a slider end to represent a stanza start doesn't play very well, but it can work in some cases like: 00:33:000 (1) - same goes if this were just a slider. There is explanation and music theory in this thread: t/58959&start=0 I'm terrible at explaining it but ziin did a great job. Noted, but I do not plan on making any such changes for this map. that case you mention at 29 seconds was an area that didn't really play right when I tried to map it the "right" way. I mean there are notes on blue ticks that I don't want to map and I think that particular combo is in a good position on the map. I know it's a flaw, but it's a minor one. The rest work quite well, and were quite intentional. Intentional flaws if you will.

http://puu.sh/1QsOJ

ztrot if you change audio leadin, you can change it in my difficulty.

Edit: I'm trying to fix that part at 29 seconds.

http://puu.sh/1QCjW Fixed. It's not perfect, but it should work. again the other instances where I end on long white ticks, it was a flow decision. I do not want to change those.
ColdTooth

MMzz wrote:

Yo.

[General]

[Hard]
00:24:923 (1) - Why is there a new combo here? It would make more sense to have the combo on 00:24:000 (5) - or 00:25:846 (3) - , follows the music better.

And a bit of advice to you TVO. You should try and get out of the habit of doing this: 00:29:076 (1) - . Using a slider end to represent a stanza start doesn't play very well, but it can work in some cases like: 00:33:000 (1) - same goes if this were just a slider. There is explanation and music theory in this thread: t/58959&start=0 I'm terrible at explaining it but ziin did a great job.

[Normal]
I suggest tickrate 2 here aswell, read above in the hard's mod. Changed.
00:18:461 (1) - Add a clap to the tail? You seem to have forgotten it. Oops, fixed.
00:49:384 (2) - ^ ^

I also advise you read the advice and stuff I gave TVO, you do it a lot more than him. Noted aswell. I don't want to overpower these in my normal. Some of them are like there because I think they fit properly in my map. I also don't want to overpower the triplets. I do that for difficulty reasons. So instead I put a 1/2 repeat slider in some cases.
http://puu.sh/1QDvw

ztrot if you change the audio lead in, you can also change it in my difficulty.
Topic Starter
ztrot
updated, waiting on my taiko mappers to make there changes
Yuzeyun
I'll look at this asap !
(Maybe in a few minutes, if so I'll edit this post.)

Anyway, I am not fond of putting more notes unfortunately, I don't think this map deserves that much notes... To give you a fact, my Oni attempt barely had more notes (It was something about 550) as the song is very calm compared to other songs I have mapped.

Edit : Other than the density thing, everything applied. http://puu.sh/1QKNp
karterfreak

MMzz wrote:

[Oni]
01:12:461 (4) - k? Keep the rhythm going and relating to the previous patterns it feels kinda empty without a kat. Fixed, added a kat to the note right after this too
02:11:769 (2) - Delete this note? It would be a nice touch to take advantage in that skip-beat thing in the song. A nice break from the constant 1/2-1/4. Ehhhh, didn't really like this one, I think the constant 1/2 beat thats going on here fits better.
02:51:692 (2,1,1) - YAY VOCAL FINISHER EMPHASIS. <3 IKR!
03:02:307 (2) - Hey uh, there is a note inside this slider. lol Slider done got extended somehow, fixed.

You stole my Taiko Poni. ;_; Taiko Poni is best Poni
Garven
Did some IRC modding on the ztrot maps. Mostly concerning notes too soon after spinners and stacked notes under slider ends and weird spacing in the Easy and a small flow thing in the Insane. Also a couple hit sound suggestions. Good stuff~ ifonlyitwasn'tpony
Topic Starter
ztrot
thank you for the mod good sir

log below

SPOILER
16:25 Garven: So uh
16:25 *Garven is editing [http://osu.ppy.sh/b/207120 Sim Gretina - Raise This Barn (Remix) [Easy]]
16:25 Garven: Just popped open the easy
16:25 Garven: And all those spacing oddities ...
16:26 Garven: I'm really wary of it
16:27 Garven: You okay for an IRC mod btw?
16:27 ztrot: yeah not oddities
16:27 ztrot: but go for it
16:27 Garven: They're obviously done on purpose
16:27 ztrot: yup
16:27 Garven: But they're all breaking spacing
16:27 ztrot: yep
16:28 Garven: Which isn't exacly something you'd do in an Easy
16:28 ztrot: spacing shouldn't be bound by diff name
16:28 Garven: At least not with that kind of rhythm change with same visual spacing
16:28 Garven: That type of spacing should be.
16:28 Garven: Also 00:58:384 (2,3) - Don't stack under slider ends please
16:29 ztrot: why?
16:29 Garven: 01:21:230 (1) - Too soon after a spinner for this difficulty level
16:29 ztrot: it is a full stanza
16:29 Garven: It's been established that type of technique isn't newbie friendly
16:29 Garven: Half a stanza you mean?
16:29 ztrot: sorry full 1/1
16:29 ztrot: white stanza
16:30 Garven: A stanza is a measure q:
16:30 Garven: Which is 4 white ticks i nthis case
16:30 ztrot: oh
16:30 ztrot: then 1/4 of a stanza
16:30 Garven: Which is far too short for an Easy
16:30 ztrot: nah
16:31 ztrot: remember the od settings too
16:31 ztrot: I want the set to stay within reason
16:31 ztrot: to the final diff
16:31 Garven: Well, I'm sur eothers will allow it, but I won't.
16:31 Garven: I'm a stickler for these sorts of things in the lower level difficulties
16:32 ztrot: I do understand making things easier
16:32 Garven: And that is -way- too soon after a spinner for an Easy
16:32 ztrot: but I'm not going to suck any or all creative ideas out of it
16:32 Garven: Having a note soon after a spinner isn't creative. It's just bad design.
16:32 ztrot: lets try this then
16:34 ztrot: http://puu.sh/1QOjt
16:34 ztrot: better?
16:34 Garven: The parts where you use the N3 sliderslide, consider using the drum tick sound. It'd go great with it imo
16:34 Garven: Yeah, that'd work great.
16:35 ztrot: alright then
16:35 Garven: There are others later in the map that I went over, but I figure you know what to do. q:
16:35 Garven: same with the notes stacked under slider ends
16:35 ztrot: I really don't want to get rid of thew stacks
16:36 Garven: Don't use them in Easies. Period.
16:37 ztrot: that doesn't make sense to me
16:37 ztrot: less movement should be easier than more movment
16:37 Garven: The rhythm is difficult to discern
16:38 ztrot: I'm willing to change sliders because I can understand that one
16:38 ztrot: but there isn't anything wrong with stacking
16:38 ztrot: in a easy
16:38 Garven: Stacking under slider ends there is
16:38 Garven: It's much harder to tell what the rhythm is going to be when the notes are stacked under the end
16:38 Garven: 02:59:076 (1) - This flows better flipped
16:39 ztrot: also it wrecks everything I've done on this map set
16:40 ztrot: every 1/2 is stacked
16:40 ztrot: then it looks like a stream
16:41 ztrot: and if I move it to far then the jump becomes something I don't even like to see in insanes :P
16:43 Garven: You could probably just rename it to Normal and most everything would be fine (including the spacing stuff) except the notes too soon after spinners
16:43 Garven: You could probably just rename it to Normal and most everything would be fine (including the spacing stuff) except the notes too soon after spinners
16:43 Garven: It's already pretty high in the star rating due to all the 1/2 rhythms
16:43 ztrot: but it is in no way shape of form a normal
16:43 ztrot: lol
16:43 Garven: The spacing
16:43 Garven: and all the stacks under slider ends
16:44 Garven: Surprised the Insane is tick rate 1
16:47 ztrot: because it sounds bad on the soft parts in the insane
16:47 Garven: It sounds bad on the longer sliders now, hehe
16:47 Garven: 02:07:384 (1) - This combo felt a little long, but the way you placed that slider it makes splitting it up look weird
16:48 ztrot: it is 7
16:48 Garven: kudos on the hitsounding though. Really added a lot
16:48 Garven: Not the numerical value, but how long it is in time
16:49 Garven: If you set the tick to the soft instead of the normal set, it would probably not be as intrusive
16:50 ztrot: I'm not really seeing a massive need to tho
16:50 Garven: Just a suggestion
16:50 ztrot: I guess if really needed
16:50 ztrot: I could go custom in a soft set
16:50 Garven: And it'd help ease in the tick rate 2 for better consistency and sound
16:51 ztrot: instead of making a crap ton of slider tick sections
16:52 Garven: Man, this Normal looks so sloppy compared to your maps :<
16:54 ztrot: okay
16:54 ztrot: added custom soft slidertick
16:54 ztrot: not as bad
16:54 ztrot: meaning I can use 2 on the insane now
16:55 Garven: Cool beans. Did you try using the drum tick for the N3 section btw?
16:55 ztrot: nope
16:55 ztrot: no acess to custom drum set
16:55 Garven: Oh
16:55 ztrot: not making set sections
16:56 ztrot: sampleset and additions have no support yet
16:56 ztrot: for default sounds to mix
16:56 Garven: http://puu.sh/1QOTM
16:57 ztrot: opens in quick time
16:57 ztrot: not letting me save
16:57 Garven: Can't do a save as?
16:57 Garven: okay
16:57 ztrot: nope
16:57 ztrot: you can if you uninstall quicktime
16:57 ztrot: but my iphone will just reinstall it
16:57 ztrot: every time i go to charge it
16:58 Garven: Why did you insta- oh okay
16:58 ztrot: even if you hit no
16:58 ztrot: fucking apple
16:58 Garven: http://puu.sh/1QOXa
16:59 Garven: I might have to steal that sliderslide sound though
16:59 Garven: Might come in handy
16:59 ztrot: :P
16:59 ztrot: go for it
17:00 ztrot: it is just a drummerboy sample from fl studio
17:01 Garven: I just like actualy drum-sounding drum sounds instead of all these electronic ones, hehe
17:01 ztrot: so I'm like more than okay with everything but the stacks in easy
17:01 ztrot: other than that I've more or less changed everything
17:02 Garven: Then I guess that's the only thing I have left to insist gets changed. q:
17:02 Garven: Though as I said, I'm sure other XAT will probably be fine with it
17:02 ztrot: if you can come up with a way for those not to touch
17:02 ztrot: and still be considered a easy
17:02 ztrot: I'm all of it
17:04 ztrot: http://puu.sh/1QP7t doing that makes a nasty jump in easy
17:05 ztrot: http://puu.sh/1QP8O and this just looks ugly
17:06 Garven: You consider extending the slider to the last beat instead?
17:06 Garven: The ticks fill in the rhythm still
17:06 ztrot: I can do that
17:06 ztrot: see
17:06 ztrot: there we go
17:07 ztrot: :D
17:07 Garven: Yar
17:07 ztrot: compromisin like a boss
17:08 ztrot: alright all changed
17:08 Garven: Oh, extend the beginning of the break (in easy) to 01:58:153 -
17:09 ztrot: done
17:09 Garven: Good
17:09 Garven: god
17:09 Garven: p/2056485
17:09 ztrot: yeeeaaaahhhh
17:10 ztrot: <.<
17:10 Garven: And I thought I sounded pompous haha
17:11 ztrot: but
17:11 ztrot: at least your suggestions have some backing
17:13 Garven: Anyway, nice job on the maps. It's rare that I have so little to critique.
17:13 ztrot: thank you for working with me
17:13 ztrot: I know I can be a bit pushy
17:14 ztrot: but as long as you have a good idea to fill it in I'm usally more than happy to accept
17:14 ztrot: fun fact most don't
17:14 Garven: Pff, I know that I am pushy too haha.
17:14 ztrot: so then I come off as not accepting anything
17:14 ztrot: and that just isn't the case.
17:14 Garven: Yeah, the thing is when I give suggestions and people just shrug it off.
17:15 Garven: I don't mind if it' sjust a small thing, but when it's a major flow problem, it makes me wonder if they even play their map
17:15 ztrot: I'll only ever do that if they have no backing to it
17:15 ztrot: like 1grid to the left
17:15 Garven: p/2067382 This reply made me sadface
17:16 Garven: Yeah, if you're doing nazi modding, give reasons behind it.
17:16 Garven: I don't nazi mod much since there aren't many symmetry/strong pattern mappers anymore
17:16 ztrot: well your reason better not be I like it this way either
17:16 ztrot: XD
17:16 ztrot: I've moved away from pattern mapping
17:17 ztrot: but I still try to make them intresting
17:17 Garven: You still use strong patterns
17:17 Garven: You just don't stick to symmetrical patterns as much
17:17 ztrot: yep :3
17:17 Garven: I'm kind of the opposite - slowly moving towards symmetrical ones hehe
17:17 Garven: It's just really hard to do them and keep good flow and fun-value
17:20 ztrot: yeah ideas get exhausted easily
17:20 Garven: I got stuck on a crazy new sytle I was working with. It's so stressful haha
17:21 *Garven is listening to [http://osu.ppy.sh/b/205457 HujuniseikouyuuP - Meisou suru Sarabando]
17:21 Garven: The flow is really chatoic. Getting mixed reviews from play testers, hehe
17:28 ztrot: man look in lounge I just broke mod score
17:28 Garven: Oh really
17:28 Garven: Heh
17:28 Garven: What steps did you take?
17:29 ztrot: just double toggle nightcore
17:29 Garven: Oh yeah, pretty easy ot mess with
17:29 Garven: I wonder if it actually applies it incorrectly or it's just a bad display
17:30 ztrot: I'mma test that now
17:32 ztrot: nah it auto applys
17:32 ztrot: after it the match ends
17:33 ztrot: so, am i getting a post from you?
17:33 ztrot: or what :P
17:33 ztrot: need to kudo that
17:33 ztrot: that drum slide
17:33 ztrot: is sexy
17:33 ztrot: tick*
17:34 Garven: Yeah, I love it
17:34 Garven: Uh, I guess I can post if you want
17:35 ztrot: well it helps the map
17:35 ztrot: gets me a extra +
17:35 Garven: Oh yeah, I forget about that
17:35 ztrot: and shows that is was modded
17:37 Garven: There ya go
Love
@TVO:

1. Match the music and sound on-beat.
2. Be presented in an intuitive, and identifiable manner. (You must be able to identify it as a pattern)
3. It should be consistent with surrounding patterns if the beat doesn't change rhythm
4. The pattern matches the overall intended pacing and difficulty in a map.
5. The pattern's context is identifiable in the music (If the music is abstract, the pattern should be abstract, if the musics repeats patterns, the beat should repeat patterns. If the music is calm, the flow should be calm.)
6. You must have a reason to malign a pattern, and it must be done in a way that is visually appealing. (keep in mind that violating this rule does not mean your misaligned sequence is not a flaw. Maligned patterns are flawed patterns and may or may not be fitting.
7. A better pattern does not exist, or an existing flawed pattern can be made more perfect without negatively affecting the flow or stability of other patterns.
Y u no follow these? LOL
TheVileOne
Mostly because I wait for others to points these things out through modding. I am aware of most flaws associated with the difficulties I make. I could mod my own map and point out things just like any other map, the problem with modding my own map is that I'm so used to playing with the flaws, it's hard to pick out things that can be improved over the things that secretly look like a flaw but when you fix them it doesn't play as good. I'm really paranoid when it comes to changing things in my own maps.

If you mods don't learn to find these things in my map, they end up getting through the filter and well these things get ranked. I would like to think that the MATs, and BATs were some kind of safety net that would find all the remaining issues, but so far the ones I've encountered just ignore the flaws entirely. If you see any areas where I'm off that can be made better I can look at them, but really I've played my difficulty so many times, it's at a state where I'm happy with it's design and the parts where I'm on the fence are in locations where changes may ruin other patterns.
MMzz

_Gezo_ wrote:

I'll look at this asap !
(Maybe in a few minutes, if so I'll edit this post.)

Anyway, I am not fond of putting more notes unfortunately, I don't think this map deserves that much notes... To give you a fact, my Oni attempt barely had more notes (It was something about 550) as the song is very calm compared to other songs I have mapped.

Edit : Other than the density thing, everything applied. http://puu.sh/1QKNp
You need to do it. This will not be bubbled without more notes/difficulty in the Muzu.
Yuzeyun
Okay then, I'll tone it a bit harder (I don't think that it needs noting at the piano parts only much, but some parts will be more dense.)

Done, but I think I can't do any more without going to overmap : http://puu.sh/1R0dd
dkun
Raise this barn, raise this barn! 1, 2, 3, 4~
Gezo's leadin is off compared to the rest of the diffs and TVO's diff needed a resnap on the green timing sections. Other than that, I have nothing else to say about it.

Have my first ever !
Topic Starter
ztrot
FIXED AND YOU LOOK SO SEXY IN PURPLE BBY~

well maybe some day thank you for the mod none the less
TheVileOne
Do not resnap my timing sections. I have them snapped to 1/16th.
BeatofIke
EDIT: Sorry ztrot! I'll try to be on topic this time! :3
Low
Discuss what? What ever do you mean?
Topic Starter
ztrot
Not the place to discus that if you would be so kind. :3
Stefan
lol
Aurele
I laughed at Jacob's edit?
Anyways, that map is so cool and the song, is even more cool >w<
Low
[General]
  1. I'm getting about 10 ms late while testing this. However, I'm not trusting my universal offset as of lately so I'm wondering if you could get someone (or you) to confirm this or not.
[Easy]
  1. 00:27:692 (1,2) - It would be neat to center (2) vertically like this and re-arrange the proceeding slider to follow distance snap.
  2. 01:48:923 (1) - Shouldn't this be reversed so that it's endpoint is toward the next slider? It only makes sense.
  3. 02:08:769 (4) - Align with (3).
  4. 02:50:307 (1) - This is too soon after a spinner for an easy difficulty. Think in terms of a newer player playing this map for the first time; I'd imagine that they would need more time than this to recover from spinning.
  5. 03:04:846 (2) - Don't stack circles under slider ends in an easy. It can be difficult to read for those of "easy" difficulty experience.
[VinylDash's Normal]

This entire mod is going to be problems with hitsound consistency. It's the only thing I could find while modding it, which actually isn't that bad. Good job with this.
  1. 00:07:384 (1) - There should be a finish at the beginning of this slider to accompany the piano sound.
  2. 00:14:769 (1) - ^
  3. 00:59:076 (1) - There should be a whistle here.
  4. 01:06:461 (1) - Whistle at the beginning of this slider.
  5. 01:42:923 (5) - You're missing a clap at the beginning of this slider.
  6. 01:49:846 (2) - There should be a whistle at the end of this slider.
  7. 01:58:153 (1) - Whistle at the beginning of this slider.
  8. 02:29:538 (5) - Clap at the end of this slider.
[TVO's Hard]
  1. 00:43:846 (6) - This slider looks a bit wonky as it is. I fixed it for you, though.
    Slider picture and code

264,80,43846,2,0,P|296:64|336:80|336:80|376:64|409:80,1,150,8|0,0:0|0:0,0:0:0
  2. 01:20:884 (2) - After not having 1/4 for most of the difficulty before this, this feels really out of place and awkward to play. I suggest removing it completely or moving it one 1/4 beat later to the red tick.
  3. 02:12:923 (1) - Probably would be best to add a clap to the beginning of this slider.
  4. 02:53:307 (5,1) - Move (5) one grid to the left and (1) one grid up to form a neat triangle pattern. If you do this, raise 02:54:461 (2) by one grid also for symmetry.
The last map I remember seeing from you is Psycho Teddy. Your mapping has improved a lot since then. Nice job. :oops:

[Insane]
  1. There's nothing really wrong that I could find here. Everything flows nicely, patterns are great, and sliders look nice.
The taiko difficulties look fine as well. Hoping to see this ranked soon.
TheVileOne

Jacob wrote:

[TVO's Hard]
  1. 00:43:846 (6) - This slider looks a bit wonky as it is. I fixed it for you, though.
    Slider picture and code

264,80,43846,2,0,P|296:64|336:80|336:80|376:64|409:80,1,150,8|0,0:0|0:0,0:0:0
    Flow is a bit worse, but done anyways.
  2. 01:20:884 (2) - After not having 1/4 for most of the difficulty before this, this feels really out of place and awkward to play. I suggest removing it completely or moving it one 1/4 beat later to the red tick. sorry I like this transition. looks a bit strange but works nice with the hitsounds. (not to mention that there isn't a beat on the red tick)
  3. 02:12:923 (1) - Probably would be best to add a clap to the beginning of this slider. <3 good suggestion
  4. 02:53:307 (5,1) - Move (5) one grid to the left and (1) one grid up to form a neat triangle pattern. If you do this, raise 02:54:461 (2) by one grid also for symmetry. Yes
The last map I remember seeing from you is Psycho Teddy. Your mapping has improved a lot since then. Nice job. :oops: Thanks I was inspired by square jumps.
http://puu.sh/1ShlU
MMzz
Bubbled!
Sync
[Insane]
01:32:769 (4) - Why isn't there a hi-hat on the end of this slider? sounds pretty weird
01:43:384 (1) - Not sure why you discontinued the hi-hats from this section -- you had them there during the last kiai as well.
02:10:153 (7) - Again, no hi-hat on this repeat for some reason
02:31:846 (4) - same as 01:32:769 (4)
02:51:692 (8) - Definitely add a new combo here -- I even noticed it in-game. Pretty big transition here, should visually represent that with a new combo. Keeping the new combo on 02:53:307 (1) is fine.

[VinylDash's Normal]
CS-1 (or even 2 so the overlaps look better, it still works fine) to compensate for the rather large spacing in this map I'd say. Do as you wish.

[Easy]
02:48:000 (1,2) - How come no drum sampleset? I can kind of see where you are getting at by not using it, but it'd still fit nicely and I honestly was surprised when it wasn't used while playing.
02:49:846 (3,1) - Add the new combo on (3) instead of (1).

all suggestions, contact me again and we'll get this ranked once you're finished going through the mods
Topic Starter
ztrot

Sync wrote:

[Insane]
01:32:769 (4) - Why isn't there a hi-hat on the end of this slider? sounds pretty weird
01:43:384 (1) - Not sure why you discontinued the hi-hats from this section -- you had them there during the last kiai as well.
02:10:153 (7) - Again, no hi-hat on this repeat for some reason
02:31:846 (4) - same as 01:32:769 (4)
02:51:692 (8) - Definitely add a new combo here -- I even noticed it in-game. Pretty big transition here, should visually represent that with a new combo. Keeping the new combo on 02:53:307 (1) is fine. applied

[VinylDash's Normal]
CS-1 (or even 2 so the overlaps look better, it still works fine) to compensate for the rather large spacing in this map I'd say. Do as you wish.
applied

[Easy]
02:48:000 (1,2) - How come no drum sampleset? I can kind of see where you are getting at by not using it, but it'd still fit nicely and I honestly was surprised when it wasn't used while playing.
02:49:846 (3,1) - Add the new combo on (3) instead of (1).
applied

all suggestions, contact me again and we'll get this ranked once you're finished going through the mods
Sync
RRRRRRANKED
Love
Best appr ranked pony map ever.
Topic Starter
ztrot
ponies~
Yuzeyun
PONEY! *shot*
kriers
hehe gratz! Gonna play this when I can :)
Garven
I guess I wont recheck it then, ya speedy rank guy, you. Gratz.
Low
Congrats. ;)
show more