forum

Sara - Natsuiro Present o BPM180 ni Shitemita

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Musty
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on dimanche 5 mars 2017 at 14:58:58

Artist: Sara
Title: Natsuiro Present o BPM180 ni Shitemita
Source: ヤマノススメ セカンドシーズン
Tags: yama no susume encouragement of climb opening theme second season remix
BPM: 180
Filesize: 2479kb
Play Time: 01:31
Difficulties Available:
  1. Fuji (5,72 stars, 447 notes)
Download: Sara - Natsuiro Present o BPM180 ni Shitemita
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
:) étoile
Monstrata
Just taking a look. Go over this on your own time~ It's not really so much a mod as it is analyzing things you've done, and things you could consider improving. Generally, the map is already quite well put together in terms of flow and playability. Though, I find that most pro players naturally have good flow sense built into them subconsciously, and already know "ideal" places to put the next object.

1. 00:00:999 (1,2,3,4,5) - These are 1/4. Same with 00:01:332 (1) - .
  2. 00:01:666 (1,2) - Be careful of putting jumps on red ticks when there's not much musical support for them.
  3. 00:01:999 (3,4,5) - Yo, this is nice.
  4. 00:06:332 (1,1,2,1) - Stuff like this is good too. You should try and make the pattern cleaner though, see how the negative space between the objects look a bit off. You can always put them a bit closer together for a tighter blanket.
  5. 00:07:332 (3,4,5) - Good. So you're using this kind of construction again. This is creating pattern consistency in how you're treating similar melodies.
  6. 00:10:332 (1,2,3,4,1) - Stuff like this doesn't look nice aesthetically. Generally, I would recommend spaced streams be linear or curved if they are like 5 notes or less. It's hard to make a discernable S curve with 5 notes, you just don't have much to work with.
  7. 00:13:999 (3,1) - Something I noticed here is, you could improve the structure by moving the slider so it is visually more equidistant between 00:13:999 (3,4) -. The idea of equidistant patterns is to create cleaner patterns that look like theyre related to one another through their placement, even if they might be different spacings/angles/slider designs. You'll see this concept a lot in slider-heavy electronic/wub maps.
  8. 00:13:666 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,5,6,7) - This whole section has a very similar rhythm to it. 00:13:666 - 00:13:999 - This is 1/1 in terms of where the strong beat (kick) is played. Then 00:14:332 (1,2,3) - it's 3/4 beats. The problem is you're using very different rhythms each time the rhythm repeats itself. 00:14:999 (1,2,3,1,2,3,4) - for example, is noticeably different from 00:14:332 (1,2,3) - . There are two main approaches to dealing with repetitive rhythm: You can map the same rhythm over and over again (copy paste) and change the patterns around to keep things interesting, -or- you can variate the rhythm choice and do something that way. If you want to variate rhythm, however, you should still try and respect the original rhythm as much as you can.

If you look at 00:15:582 (1,2,3,4) - For example, There's a kick on 00:15:666 - which is emphasized thanks to the 1/4 jump from earlier. This is good. However, 00:15:832 (3,4) - are not. 00:15:916 - Is where the next kick is, and 00:16:166 - is where the 3rd kick is. If you want to variate rhythms, you should still keep them clickable so you respect the original rhythm. Here are some ideas for good rhythm variation:
    So here, you can see that 00:15:666 - 00:15:916 - 00:16:166 - are all clickable and emphasized through either setting up a 1/4 jump, or just a normal jump (4>5). There are additional clicks here and there which help change up the rhythm a bit.
    So, the main idea is making sure the base rhythm continues to repeat. You can add extraneous circles and sliders etc... to make the rhythm more dense, or more simple, or even use different patterns entirely. Keeping the core rhythm intact helps build rhythmic structure though, which will help the map's rhythm feel more connected.

That out of the way, you can think about how to apply stronger rhythmic structure to stuff like 00:20:999 (4,5,6) - 00:22:749 (6) - (6's slider-end is a lot stronger than its head, which makes it weird considering you usually don't consider the tail of 1/4 sliders that much when you play)
    00:32:332 (1,2,3) - Similarly, you can see how this rhythm might seem quite unusual compared to the other rhythms you used, because the structure of this rhythm doesn't allow for 00:32:666 - to be clickable, even though it's a beat you acknowledge the combo right after: 00:32:999 (1,2) - .
  9. Kiai is very nicely mapped in terms of the rhythms you choose, which is great. I think we can work a bit on creating some pattern variety. For example, you use a lot of linear and 3-point curve sliders here. You could try some other simple shapes too:

00:48:999 (1,2,3) -
    00:52:999 (1,2,3) -

Generally, try experimenting with sliders that utlize 1 red node, or 1 red node + 1 white node. Usually these kinds of sliders can still be arranged in a way that closely mimics the movement of a linear or curved slider. But it will give some added uniqueness to the slider designs. A lot of times, you can copy/paste and rotate the sliders too, so there are plenty of ways to make the sliders look like a pattern, even if they may look a bit ugly by themselves.
    If you ever need inspiration for slider designs, just open up a Smoothie World or ProfessionalBox Camellia map xD. They are notorious for using cool slider designs that closely minic normal sliders.
[]

This is a pretty fun song actually xD. If you want to focus on this map, lets figure out the spread and plan out how to approach this set!
Topic Starter
Musty

Monstrata wrote:

1. 00:13:666 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,5,6,7) - This whole section has a very similar rhythm to it. 00:13:666 - 00:13:999 - This is 1/1 in terms of where the strong beat (kick) is played. Then 00:14:332 (1,2,3) - it's 3/4 beats. The problem is you're using very different rhythms each time the rhythm repeats itself. 00:14:999 (1,2,3,1,2,3,4) - for example, is noticeably different from 00:14:332 (1,2,3) - . There are two main approaches to dealing with repetitive rhythm: You can map the same rhythm over and over again (copy paste) and change the patterns around to keep things interesting, -or- you can variate the rhythm choice and do something that way. If you want to variate rhythm, however, you should still try and respect the original rhythm as much as you can.

If you look at 00:15:582 (1,2,3,4) - For example, There's a kick on 00:15:666 - which is emphasized thanks to the 1/4 jump from earlier. This is good. However, 00:15:832 (3,4) - are not. 00:15:916 - Is where the next kick is, and 00:16:166 - is where the 3rd kick is. If you want to variate rhythms, you should still keep them clickable so you respect the original rhythm. Here are some ideas for good rhythm variation:
    To be honest, i dunno about this. I mean, i changed it up a bit but i kinda "kept" the rhythm i had previously (sort of). The thing is that we can clearly hear some kind of a "drum roll" and i wanted to highlight it. Aswell as the melody going on 2/4. I wanted to avoid doing a 1/4 stream. The roll seems to be 2/4 repetitive though (not sure).

So here, you can see that 00:15:666 - 00:15:916 - 00:16:166 - are all clickable and emphasized through either setting up a 1/4 jump, or just a normal jump (4>5). There are additional clicks here and there which help change up the rhythm a bit.
    So, the main idea is making sure the base rhythm continues to repeat. You can add extraneous circles and sliders etc... to make the rhythm more dense, or more simple, or even use different patterns entirely. Keeping the core rhythm intact helps build rhythmic structure though, which will help the map's rhythm feel more connected.

Yeah i get the point, not sure if it's suitable how i managed to change it, i think it is but would definetly get feedback to it.

That out of the way, you can think about how to apply stronger rhythmic structure to stuff like 00:20:999 (4,5,6) - 00:22:749 (6) - (6's slider-end is a lot stronger than its head, which makes it weird considering you usually don't consider the tail of 1/4 sliders that much when you play)
    00:32:332 (1,2,3) - Similarly, you can see how this rhythm might seem quite unusual compared to the other rhythms you used, because the structure of this rhythm doesn't allow for 00:32:666 - to be clickable, even though it's a beat you acknowledge the combo right after: 00:32:999 (1,2) - .
  2. Kiai is very nicely mapped in terms of the rhythms you choose, which is great. I think we can work a bit on creating some pattern variety. For example, you use a lot of linear and 3-point curve sliders here. You could try some other simple shapes too:

00:48:999 (1,2,3) -
    00:52:999 (1,2,3) -

Generally, try experimenting with sliders that utlize 1 red node, or 1 red node + 1 white node. Usually these kinds of sliders can still be arranged in a way that closely mimics the movement of a linear or curved slider. But it will give some added uniqueness to the slider designs. A lot of times, you can copy/paste and rotate the sliders too, so there are plenty of ways to make the sliders look like a pattern, even if they may look a bit ugly by themselves.
    If you ever need inspiration for slider designs, just open up a Smoothie World or ProfessionalBox Camellia map xD. They are notorious for using cool slider designs that closely minic normal sliders.
[]

This is a pretty fun song actually xD. If you want to focus on this map, lets figure out the spread and plan out how to approach this set!
mostly tried to fix stuff as much as possible.

notable changes are what you pointed out through your entire post actually lol, but also a few arrangements made on my own that i didn't like that much

I think i'll look forward ranking this, i have to do a complete set though haha
Monstrata
Things look a lot better! Well, they were already good, but now the diff is really coming together. Actually though, the way you treat 1/4 jump patterns is really intuitive imo. I can't play all of the 1/4's of course, but looking at then in editor and considering flow/angles they all seem pretty good for playing. I'll make some further notes soon!

One thing i'm noticing is you usually tend to use linear and curved sliders. This is something I do a lot in my maps too so dw its not wrong xD. We could probably work on better slider patterns still though.

Slider design

Halved Sliders

So these kinds of sliders are basically where you have a red-node in the middle of the slider, with a sort of symmetrical pattern (though probably on an angle, rather than on the x or y axis)

00:02:666 (7) - For example could probably be more symmetrical.

A good technique for setting up sliders like this is to use the mid-point of the slider and the slider-ball. Position the middle of the slider so that the sliderball is perfectly in the middle. Notice how I scaled to 1/8 snap in order to get to the point in the timeline that's perfectly in the middle of the slider 00:02:791 -

Some sliders you can apply this technique to are stuff like 00:15:332 (3) -
00:50:332 (1,2) - (well, these are like almost perfect anyways)

Parallel Sliders

One thing thats really important about using parallel slider patterns is to be aware of the negative space in between the parallels. You want them to be consistent for the best visual structure.

00:50:332 (1,2,1) - For example.

01:06:999 (1,2,1) - As well, you can see they are slightly off. You could just copy slider 1 + 2, and the paste + stack to set up the pattern.

Blanket Sliders

Pretty straightforward, but definitely mind the blankets

00:47:666 (1,2,3,1) - etc...

There actually is a technique for setting up easy blankets really quickly.
00:47:666 (1,2) - Lets use this for example

First, i'm going to Ctrl+G 00:47:666 (1) - so I can use the approach circle on the head to help with the blanket/

Now I'm going to move the slider an arbitrary amount in the time line so that the approach circle is close the slider 3's head.

Now i'm going to scale up to 1/16 Beat Snap Divisor. I can now scroll up and down to get the precise point where the approach circle overlaps the white slider-border of the blanketting slider.

Now i can just use the approach circle for an easy guide to blanketting.

Don't forget to move the previous slider back to its original timeline position and Ctrl+G after!

Most people usually just eyeball or use an estimate, the addition of the 1/16 beat snap idea allows for really precise blanketting with relative ease. Another trick I like to do is to Ctrl+G the slider twice after blanketting. It will reset the slider's control points to their lowest possible value, and it makes it much easier and reliable to adjust and copy/paste the slider in the future.

[]

Rhythm:

00:18:999 (1,2,1,2,3,1,2,3) - Your rhythm choice is a lot better now. This is getting more detailed in analysis now, but if you compare the rhytm here to 00:13:666 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3,4,5) - You'll notice that you don't use as many circles (or any at all) So the rhythm becomes a bit less rich. You could try adding maybe one or two more circles here and reducing some 1/2 sliders to 1/4.

[]

Let's go through some slider-heavy maps next time you catch me online and mapping xD. Imo, slider designs like 00:55:666 (1,2,3,1,2) - are kinda weird. They look ugly and I said you could make ugly sliders look good if you apply a pattern to them, but their design is really different from the linear/curved sliders you used. I think it's better if we use simpler slider designs that are also not linear/curved. Anyways, I can elaborate on that more when we you're free xD.
BanchoBot
This modding thread has been migrated to the new "modding discussions" system. Please make sure to re-post any existing (and unresolved) efforts to the new system as required.