forum

Extension of the Sudden Death mod

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Luna
Somewhat related to the "Ghost scores" request (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=53057)
I think it would be cool if we could "program" the SD mod and set it to specific goals - Once the goal becomes impossible to achieve, you fail the map.
So you could set stuff like:
"S-Rank, Top 5 Local Rankings, accuracy >98%"
"Top 15 Online Rankings"
"No Combobreaks" (The current behaviour)
"SS" (This would shut up the numerous requests for a mod that kills you if you don't score all 300)
"A Rank, no misses"
"Top Score on Local Rankings"

I think you get the idea~
marshallracer
oh _Void_ <3
i was actually thinking about that often too ... would make it kinda better for some players :3
Backstabber
Love the idea :) It will probably not work as well on map where you miss 1-3 times, because then it will take a really long time for the highscore to become unbeatable.
Also, if my highscore is 300k with 10 100s spread across the map. I can totally fail the start with 20 100s but it will not proc the SD because it can still be beaten, even though its just very unlightly.

I really like the idea, and I am glad that people come up with ideas like this. Because I believe osu! is lacking a good score system in more than one way. I do also really like your idea about how you can be able to customize the system yourself. I believe that you can increase complexity without making the game less user friendly.
adam2046
Idea is most like viewtopic.php?p=69078
Fail by accuracy way back viewtopic.php?p=30714
Won't even bother linking the millions of "plztomakingSSmod" threads.
I'm assuming sudden death for rankings would stop you when you can no longer get that rank. If so, how would it take spinners into account?

I think the general consensus on more Sudden Death mods/options is no. Might be worth some more discussion, but I doubt that will do much.
Topic Starter
Luna
I know about those requests (mentioned the SS-only mod request in my post as well) but this is more specific than just the amount of 100/50 or a minimum accuracy.
I've thought about spinners as well and I guess it would work if you could input a RPM-number that you consider your maximum and it calculates bonus points based on that. Using the true maximum possible RPM would kinda defeat the purpose since you could continue playing even if it's technically impossible for you to beat your goal.
And I don't necessarily think that Sudden Death modification is automatically denied - the other requests (at least most of them) were denied because the same effect can be achieved by just hitting Esc -> Retry when you get anything but a 300 and similar stuff.
The feature that I'm requesting would calculate maximum possible scores at every moment and give feedback on if if it's possible to improve or not - you can not calculate that yourself in real time, so you can't just replace it by Esc -> Retry
awp

_Void_ wrote:

So you could set stuff like:
"S-Rank, Top 5 Local Rankings, accuracy >98%"
"Top 15 Online Rankings"
This sounds like it would need to do a lot of floating point calculations on the fly to project what the maximum achievable score is given your current combo multiplier and position in the map (we'll assume spinners are considered without bonus)

Every time you click a note and didn't get a 300 the system would essentially have to re-calculate what your max score is

when doing streams, I wouldn't be surprised if it started to chug

hey combobreak
Topic Starter
Luna
Yeah, all this is under the assumption that the computer is actually able to handle the calculations - same goes for the Ghost score request. Until someone with deeper knowledge of the algorithm speeds can confirm if this even works~

/E: Every time you get a 50 or 100, you just need to subtract a specific amount that can be calculated really easily. The only times when the full attainable score would have to be recalculated is after combobreaks (because of the exponential nature of osu! scoring).
So unless you miss a whole stream @200 BPM I could see this working, and for cases like this one could program an exception that delays further calculations until a sufficient "break" is reached (aka right after the stream) in order to avoid overflow. Should work, but I'm not an expert by any means, so maybe I'm just horribly wrong~
awp
Hell, it's doable - the Editor's test mode already does this*. It just passes 0 values for CurrentScore, CurrentMultiplier, and CurrentPosition

*this is an abstract conceptualization of the framework. I haven't seen the code