forum

Option in replay mode: See where they misclicked

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +189
Topic Starter
CrimsonClaw
Introduction

Hello,

I want to request a feature that shows you - in case of a click that did not hit a note - where you clicked.
This would be helpful for people who want to see where they actually aimed for, when they actually did not hit anything.

I see that it is frustrating for people if they play the game as it is intended but still do not know what they did wrong.
This might be one step into the right direction to solve this.

General Idea

1. the feature would be only available in the replay mode (and also must be enabled there, too)
  2. there is a visual object popping up, if the player clicks no element (either sliderbegin or circle) - IF this feature is enabled
  3. it should be notable easily, which is why I recommend more options to it in general, like using the smoke sprite or a specific color
    -> therefore it should be on top of everything and fade away 3 seconds after it appeared
  4. this visual object that appears on missclicks might be another skinnable object, but it does not have to be
  5. the visual object is not related to any notes, but to clicks that did not hit anything
  6. a button, to enable it. Just like "Collections", "Discussions", "Playback" and the "End Replay" button
This means that this is not about combobreaks, which excludes slider and spinnerbreaks completely. Only clicks that do not hit anything.
Which is why this feature should be disabled for intro, breaks, outro and spinners and limited by 20-30 visual objects at once as I do not believe that someone would do as many missclicks.

Design Section (the arrows are NOT part of the feature request)

Information about the visual object itself
It is probably something simple. Like a dot with a really bright color, like yellow, if the player doesn't specify.
There also could be a little tab to choose between a few forms that the print is going to be, aside from colors:
  1. dot
  2. slightly bigger dot with a hole in it
  3. cross
  4. square

I'd be happy to receive any positive feedback! Ask a question or two if you like.
-Hwangbo
Great idea!
Capu
Sounds useful C:
Topic Starter
CrimsonClaw
I noticed, it would be "misclick" and not "missclick". But the screenshots still function this way.

Don't be confused by that.
Mio Winter
0o

I just made a request for almost exactly the same feature, except for that I want it to be active while playing, to help with feedback for aiming, to learn aim quicker. (t/503924)

Anyway, I support. : )
Seijiro
Really solid idea and if I think about combining this feature alongside being able to stop the replay for a moment to check exactly how I missed it is great.
Watching replays would be much more useful that way for sure.

There would also be a cherry on the cake if even this other feature gets implemented at the results screen: t/406801/start=0
Topic Starter
CrimsonClaw

Timo Timo wrote:

I just made a request for almost exactly the same feature, except for that I want it to be active while playing [...]
I mean, sure, why not.
Being able to enable this feature while playing - it wouldn't be much of an effort to strive for that, if the initial feature request comes through!

MrSergio wrote:

Really solid idea and if I think about combining this feature alongside being able to stop the replay for a moment to check exactly how I missed it is great.
Indeed, which is actually possible right now if you are in Cutting Edge and press 5 while watching a replay, but I am sure you have known that already.

MrSergio wrote:

There would also be a cherry on the cake if even this other feature gets implemented at the results screen: t/406801/start=0
Yes, I fully agree. I like the idea.
This feature is probably complimentary to mine because it is rather about average aim accuracy, while mine is about exact hit accuracy on a specific point in the map.
Combining them would be smart.

Thanks for all your support, I appreciate it.
Nuggel
10/10

I would like to see an option to scroll through the replay. So you can jump to the point which you want to see.

btw crimson is cute
Sandy Hoey

Nuggel wrote:

10/10

I would like to see an option to scroll through the replay. So you can jump to the point which you want to see.

btw crimson is cute
That is a different request
t/188918?hilit=Replay+options
Thize
I love this idea
Cinerex24
YES. THIS FEATURE. There have been many times when watching replays I wish this function existed. I like the toggle functionality too, that way replays can be adapted for different purposes--either simulating gameplay (for showcasing great plays) or providing detailed information (for studying and improvement).

This feature would be really useful for improving timing in jumps
(especially when playing with Hidden--and especially if the problem is not reaching the jump, but rather clicking either too late or early, while the cursor is not over the note)

--

Although... I would be interested in also seeing the position of the mouse cursor whenever it is clicked, not just during misses
(to be able to see exactly where in the hit circle it is clicked--for aim practice and streaming improvement)

and also see cursor's path when click is held down
(to see the path during sliders, perhaps turning a different color when travelling outside the slider boundaries or causing a slider break--to help break bad aiming habits that lead to slider breaks)
StartAndSelect
If I may, assuming I've understood this request correctly, I'd like to offer an expansion on how this could work for other game modes. I'll leave Standard alone as plenty of other ideas have been offered and I don't touch the mode. You'll have to excuse my clunky style of writing; I've been awake far too long.

--

Mania and Taiko (I'm not really familiar with Taiko but I imagine the same principles apply): Your key hits are displayed on top of the map notes. I'm not sure how replays are formed in terms of raw data, but I'd imagine my method would be a bit like the Live Mapping Mode in the beatmap editor. As you play the map your key hits (including how long you actually hold them down) are written to the replay file. If you choose to save the replay it would be saved as a new beatmap.

During a replay your map would "lay on top" of the original beatmap, but the notes would be grayed out or narrowed/resized, as an example. This would help give you a graphic representation of how far out you are, or demonstrating that you're merely mashing through a section.

--

CtB: As with Taiko I'm not familiar with it, but I can imagine a Ghost of your replay matched against an Auto mod (I know the wiki says Auto can outspeed a human player) or the top score replay for Ranked and Loved maps would be the obvious choice.

--

I apologise for resurrecting this to sort of hijack it. I had this sort of idea after finding myself mashing through Mania without really knowing why my hits were missing. I thought having a visual, not just audial representation of what you're actually doing could help with changing mindsets and focus of where to improve. I hope offering ideas for other games modes helps give more weight behind this idea.