forum

[Archived] High output latency

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Sakuya2718
Problem Details:
I've returned to playing osu! from almost a year break and noticed that something strange happens with timing. This map confirmed it, I've ~60 ms input delay. This really gets me out of sync, so my only wish now is to tackle this problem.

I'm playing on Asus PRO451LD laptop (i5-4210U, HD Graphics 4000/GF 820M, 4 GB RAM, Win7 SP1 x64), 1366x768, fullscreen. All drivers are up-to-date.

What I've done already:
  1. Tried all FPS limiter settings
  2. Switched between DX/OpenGL and between latest and fallback versions
  3. Ran osu! with integrated and discrete video
  4. Set prerender frames to 1 in the video driver
  5. Used different keyboards and played with mouse
In all cases input lag was 60-65 ms.

I even tested this on different machines: my desktop (FX-8350, HD7970, 8 GB RAM, Win7 SP1 x64) - got 100 (!) ms, friend's desktop (i5-4570, GTX770, 8 GB RAM) - got 120 ms, other friends have reported they also have a big delay... I even borrowed mechanical Razer Blackwidow, that changes nothing.

So, I think it's osu!/.NET Framework (?) fault, rather than certain hardware. Please, help me, I really-really love this game~

osu! version: 20151228.2
Deimos
play with Unlimited (Gameplay) framelimiter and use fullscreen

and no, borderless is not fullscreen so make sure that fullscreen is activated in the options

also if you don't want to play on fullscreen 'cause it's too big then enable Letterboxing as well
Topic Starter
Sakuya2718
With unlimited framelimiter delay stayed the same, again 60 ms. And yes, I have fullscreen option ticked in the options. :(
Topic Starter
Sakuya2718
Well, I thought now that it isn't keyboard or the whole input system, it can be output. I've just measured my soundcard latency (with output looped to input), it's 55 ms. I used Adobe Audition for recording, and it seems using its own driver "Audition 3.0 Windows Sound", which however is also based on DirectSound. So I think there is the same sound latency in osu!. Now investigating this. Could you give me any solutions?

Btw, why don't osu! use ASIO, it would drastically lower the latency?

UPD: Where I can find buffer size setting when using osu? Like on the screen. And what default values does osu! use?

Topic Starter
Sakuya2718
So, will anyone answer my questions? T_T I want to know about osu! sound system: what output method does it use (WASAPI?), what buffer length is? Does buffer is defined in osu! (I think it is, at the moment of opening sound device) or in system somewhere? And why I have different latenices on different machines?
I started playing osu! in 2012 on Atom netbook and have no problems at all, and now I can't play osu! even on powerful computers...
Soby
If you are downloading/uploading something Osu! in general has some lag when doing that. Try to stop any program and try the game then
TheVileOne
osu! uses Bass to handle all it's sound processing. I believe that everything is processed as 44000Hz. It doesn't use WASAPI, and I don't think it will due to it not being cross platform.

Using any kind of sound processors with osu! is not recommended.