forum

[invalid] Higher resolution avatars

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
bezrq
It's really annoying having to downsize and image countless times for the "128x128 88kb" limit to even work

I have sometimes put in a picture higher than the resolution/size limit and it still works

peppy pls fixo
MillhioreF
88kb is the only actual limit. You can upload avatars with larger dimensions if you want, they'll just be scaled back down to 128x128.
Topic Starter
bezrq

MillhioreF wrote:

88kb is the only actual limit. You can upload avatars with larger dimensions if you want, they'll just be scaled back down to 128x128.
Did not know this, thank you.

But still...
Its 2015, 88kb max is kinda(very) low.
Cadenza
Or even just automatically resizing it to be the maximum possible size would be nice (since I know it accepts avatars slightly larger than 128x128)
peppy
88kb is not low. Learn to compress.
lemonguy
I came because bezrq stole my avatar.
bye ~
abraker

bezrq wrote:

But still...
88kb = 90,112 bytes
90,112 bytes * 6,792,857 users = 612,117,929,984 bytes = 570gb

And that is a lot already. Try doubling it to 176kb, and you get more than a terrabyte. Might want to buy several years of supporter to pay for the extra space if you want this request to still be valid.
Bara-
Might be minor
Also if you use internet on your phone, you pay per mb
If the images get larger you have to pay more as well
No for me, mostly for the thing Abra mentioned
CaffeAmericano

abraker wrote:

bezrq wrote:

But still...
88kb = 90,112 bytes
90,112 bytes * 6,792,857 users = 612,117,929,984 bytes = 570gb

And that is a lot already. Try doubling it to 176kb, and you get more than a terrabyte. Might want to buy several years of supporter to pay for the extra space if you want this request to still be valid.
I don't know if server storage space is significantly more expensive than personal hdd, but 570gb sound very small.

This might be neat if added, but I never thought 88kb limit was annoying in the first place :p
Bara-
Sounds small, what?
I believe it's even more then ALL submitted maps together
CaffeAmericano
I was saying 570gb sounds small because 1TB of cloud storage is offered for $10/month nowadays. But then, I don't know if it makes sense to compare those two because I don't know much of data storage in servers.
abraker
If this game was about avatars, then I see a point since it would be the main thing then. Since it's just a thing that barely plays a role in the entirity of osu!, having that much storage allocated for avatars is a bit unreasonable.
Flanster
The size limit is something completely normal, less bandwidth, less storage, more web friendly.
Having a higher res avatar would have no benefit to you as it gets downscaled ingame and forum to 128px.

As much as some of us want to show off with HD anime girl avatars, its quite pointless.
FrzR

LoliFlan wrote:

As much as some of us want to show off with HD anime girl avatars, its quite pointless.
kek

Anyways, we would not need higher resolutions especially in-game since if ever it gets implemented, the scoreboards and the extended chat list(F9) or other interfaces that includes an avatar has to be re scaled to a higher size just for that.