forum

[resolved] Getting .net framework error message upon launching Osu!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Juu_DELETED
Problem Details: Using Mac OSX, I try and open osu, and this pops up

Video or screenshot showing the problem:
(http://puu.sh/hmg93/62fdc284f9.png)

osu! version: 20150416.1cuttingedge
VeilStar
You're using the Cuttingedge build, which now requires the .NET Framework 4.0 or higher.
I'm not sure how one would go about that on a Mac. But untill someone can provide a solution try the following

1. Hold SHIFT and open osu!.exe (while holding shift). This will bring up a recovery dialog instead of launching the game.
  2. In this recovery dialog, change the release stream to "Stable".
  3. Launch the game. It should work, for now.
Topic Starter
Juu_DELETED
Damn, I was using cutting edge fine up until today :/ Is the "future of osu!" not going to be mac compatible then? Buying a PC in a month, but I know there are lots of players who play on mac, and moving to .net seems like it would make it worse than it is now for mac users......
VeilStar

[Ju the Dragon] wrote:

Damn, I was using cutting edge fine up until today :/ Is the "future of osu!" not going to be mac compatible then? Buying a PC in a month, but I know there are lots of players who play on mac, and moving to .net seems like it would make it worse than it is now for mac users......
Cuttingedge and the ce45 build have been merged. Which now requires the .NET Framework 4.0 (or 4.5?) and is OpenGL-only. These changes are actually to improve cross-platform compatibility in the long run. So no need to worry. Also, osu! always used the .NET framework. It doesn't run without it. So this is nothing new. It's just that you now need a higher version of it.

Anyhow, back to the original topic... Once again, I have no idea how one would do this on a Mac, but you still do need the .NET Framework 4.0 (or 4.5) installed. It's probably a wine-related thing, but I don't have enough knowledge about mac-related things to tell you how you would do that. So for now at least, you can use the Stable release stream.
Topic Starter
Juu_DELETED
OK, I'll go back to stable, the only problem is that opening the osu!.exe just opens a text file on mac, so I don't know how to switch back to stable without having the client open.....
VeilStar

[Ju the Dragon] wrote:

OK, I'll go back to stable, the only problem is that opening the osu!.exe just opens a text file on mac, so I don't know how to switch back to stable without having the client open.....
Ehm.. does holding shift and opening osu! while holding shift the way you usually open it bring up this recovery dialog?
If not I'm not sure. Someone that plays on a mac should be able to help you better.
peppy
We are working on a new wine container for OS X. We also have a native version which is almost working (keyboard input pending).

For now you may need to redownload the installer and transfer your user data over.
Topic Starter
Juu_DELETED
That's awesome, any idea if that might be available within a month? Also when I transfer my user data over it opens it in cutting edge. (AKA same message) :(
Topic Starter
Juu_DELETED
What file do I NOT copy over to avoid it default starting in cutting edge
VeilStar

[Ju the Dragon] wrote:

What file do I NOT copy over to avoid it default starting in cutting edge
Don't copy osu!.cfg, nor any .dll files. (Nor the .exe.)

Edit: Basically just copy over the following to a new installation:
Chat (if you have this folder)
Data (it's a hidden folder by default)
Skins
Songs
collection.db
osu!.db
osu!.username.cfg
scores.db
peppy
New wineskin should be done today or tomorrow. Until then please stick to stable.
Topic Starter
Juu_DELETED
OK, thanks both of you, looking forward to the new wineskin.
VeilStar
Marking this resolved then. If you're running intro trouble again with the new wineskin go ahead and post.
Topic Starter
Juu_DELETED
Hey, how will I know when the new wineskin client is out, and will I have to download anything or is it an automatic update? thanks again for the help.
Topic Starter
Juu_DELETED
or is it already out :o Sorry, don't use forums that often
PizzaLovers007
I assume peppy will post the new wrapper in the Development forum: 2
MegaGG
I am playing osu! on mac.

When i open osu it opens the osu!updater and it says "Could not install .NET framework v4, please click here to install manually."

since im on Mac OS X i cannot properly install .NET framework.
Anyone know a fix for this problem???
Trosk-

MegaGamerGames wrote:

I am playing osu! on mac.

When i open osu it opens the osu!updater and it says "Could not install .NET framework v4, please click here to install manually."

since im on Mac OS X i cannot properly install .NET framework.
Anyone know a fix for this problem???
Make a new thread if you have a problem please.
CynTezu225

VeilStar wrote:

Don't copy osu!.cfg, nor any .dll files. (Nor the .exe.)

Edit: Basically just copy over the following to a new installation:
Chat (if you have this folder)
Data (it's a hidden folder by default)
Skins
Songs
collection.db
osu!.db
osu!.username.cfg
scores.db
This was really helpful! Thank you so much!! :)